Guitar Player's Thread

^He probably felt addressed by my criticism of the posts of the last months.

Too bad that these jokes get boring after hearing them a million times. In my opinion, this 4chan humour can stay out of this thread. I'm not even one of the people who want any "old times" back, but this thread gets boring if serious contribution gets lost.

What the fuck? He's giving constructive criticism, are you 8 years old or what?

Saying "YEAH DUDE THATS AWESOME" when there's clearly some improvements to be made doesn't help anyone, especially not the guitarist.

What the fuck are you doing in this thread?

All of your posts consists of shit like this.

God damnit, troll:mad:

What the fuck are you doing in this thread?

All of your posts consists of shit like this.

God damnit, troll:mad:

How the fuck am I trolling? You're the one posting mindless, repetitive, unfunny, childish bullshit in nearly every thread. I'm just pointing it out.

I used to think you were alright, but the very fact that you seem to consider a helpful post of useful advice as "baw" would indicate you're obviously just a fucking idiot who is way too attached to his e-friends in this place.

How the fuck am I trolling? You're the one posting mindless, repetitive, unfunny, childish bullshit in nearly every thread. I'm just pointing it out.

I used to think you were alright, but the very fact that you seem to consider a helpful post of useful advice as "baw" would indicate you're obviously just a fucking idiot who is way too attached to his e-friends in this place.

Dude:lol:

Chill:lol:

To get back on topic,
My mom has done this thing with woodcrafting and stuff for the last few years and since she is kind of out of ideas at the moment she offered me to build me a guitar. I was like wtf that's never going to succeed but she seems pretty serious about it. She kind of has this teacher too who has made electric guitars a few times, which makes me a bit more confident about the project too.
Now she's asking me to come up with a design etc.
The thing I'm kind of stuck on is the construction, should I go for a Neck-Thru or Bolt-on design?
I don't really know a lot about this and since all my guitars have been bolt-on I can't really compare tonewise etc.
I read that Neck-thru should give a better sustain but that it is harder to produce and repair should the neck be damaged.
Anyone got any advice? :p
Oh yea I'm going for a RR design since I haven't got one like that yet, though I have liked that design for quite some time now.

Hmm k, I'll see if it's possible.
For the rest I'm thinking of a Korina body, a Maple neck and Ebony fretboard.
Not sure about the pickup, maybe EMG 81 or something.
Should I get an original Floyd Rose, or a Schaller one or something different? Just read you said a Schaller one stays in tune longer?

To get back on topic,
My mom has done this thing with woodcrafting and stuff for the last few years and since she is kind of out of ideas at the moment she offered me to build me a guitar. I was like wtf that's never going to succeed but she seems pretty serious about it. She kind of has this teacher too who has made electric guitars a few times, which makes me a bit more confident about the project too.
Now she's asking me to come up with a design etc.
The thing I'm kind of stuck on is the construction, should I go for a Neck-Thru or Bolt-on design?
I don't really know a lot about this and since all my guitars have been bolt-on I can't really compare tonewise etc.
I read that Neck-thru should give a better sustain but that it is harder to produce and repair should the neck be damaged.
Anyone got any advice? :p
Oh yea I'm going for a RR design since I haven't got one like that yet, though I have liked that design for quite some time now.

Well people seem to claim that neck thru = more sustain, and that does make sense. But in reality the difference is minimal.

Bolt on guitar, his sustain sounds just fine to me.

I suppose you could say that neck thru joints make it easier to reach the upper frets. But again, to be honest nowadays bolt-on joints are so well sculpted that there really isn't much difference in accessibility.

The downsides are that if the neck becomes warped of damaged it's impossible to replace and could ruin the whole guitar. And the construction of a neck-thru guitar is much more difficult as the angle of the neck has to be 100% perfect when it's glued in.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have yet to see a bolt-on guitar of any make that has actually prevented me from reaching a 24th fret.

^^^Yea those were the main reasons I was really wondering which one to choose. I believe it isn't that hard anymore to create a bolt on with easy to reach upper frets, using a High Acces Heel Joint.

I only think the Ibanez bolt on necks makes the access easier, I have yet to see a good bolt on neck that isn't ibanez that has good access.

I have a Yamaha RGX 721 DG (cool superstrat) which is almost shaped like my Ibby at the neck joint. But I agree that the AANJ of Ibanez are supersmooth.

But all in all, I can reach the 24th fret even with a stratocaster. And Paul Gilbert himself plays square joints.

Myea I think the Bolt-on wins then.
Does anyone know if there is a website where I can find the exact width and height and stuff of a RR body? Can't find it anywhere.

Well it's still up to you, I mean my guitar is actually set-thru and it's awesome. But I just think the idea of "Oh if the neck breaks I'll buy a new one" greatly outweighs the slight "advantages" of a neck-thru design.

And now I'm just going to post another Petrucci video because I can

People who say he just does mindless shredding = wrong.

Japan:

does anyone knows what kind Ibanez is that?

Myea I think the Bolt-on wins then.
Does anyone know if there is a website where I can find the exact width and height and stuff of a RR body? Can't find it anywhere.

I found this a few months ago and saved it on my HDD:

287k6rk.jpg