Guitar Player's Thread

sup guys I need some help,

I'm playing passage to the reaper part 1 at a talent show, and i'm kinda stuck..

When doing the fast lick in the beginning, first roope, then allu... I struggle with the timing on allus part. If i start with a downstroke it's messed up, if i start with an upstroke it's a little bit better, but still very messed.

How do you play it?

tab i'm using:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/r9htyl

bar 11, track alexi

Could be the tab is wrong at that part, I dunno.

I have a question for you guys that play in D standard,what string gauge do you use?

11-54. Great for drop C also.

I don't play in D, but I'd say 0.012 or 0.013 to begin with. You can start from there.

Duude:lol: Silenoz from Dimmu may use 013 in D, but that's just insane:lol:

I'd say 11-50 in D, and 11-54 if you want to use it in drop C as well.

When doing the fast lick in the beginning, first roope, then allu... I struggle with the timing on allus part. If i start with a downstroke it's messed up, if i start with an upstroke it's a little bit better, but still very messed.

How do you play it?

Start it with an upstroke, as the first beat is a rest. Otherwise your strokes are offset to start with an upstroke for the rest of the measures. If it helps you can sorta ghost-note a downstroke during that rest, then on to the upstroke. Everything works out perfectly that way. If you want further reassurance you can watch Alexi play it at 5:43 in this video :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I will comment this since everyone here does what he did for the last months: talking about the same damn questions over and over and over again. And ignoring the more interesting posts of course.

The tone was ok, and the playing was acceptable/good. What makes me wonder is that the sloppy (or just not so clean) parts were easier compared to the rest of the solo. Imo, you could have made a better video with some more takes, and I actually suggest that you do that. :p

A completely different point is bending the strings. I think that I don't have to say anything, you alread know it, right?

This doesn't mean that I could have recorded a better version, but it's my honest opinion nonetheless.

Thanks! Ok I know that e.g. the last run is quite sloopy, and then dunno some other parts a bit and yeah, I still have a loooooooooooooot of room to improvise with bendings :lol: Besides bendings and last run, in which thing would you say I should work more?

To get back on topic,
My mom has done this thing with woodcrafting and stuff for the last few years and since she is kind of out of ideas at the moment she offered me to build me a guitar. I was like wtf that's never going to succeed but she seems pretty serious about it. She kind of has this teacher too who has made electric guitars a few times, which makes me a bit more confident about the project too.
Now she's asking me to come up with a design etc.
The thing I'm kind of stuck on is the construction, should I go for a Neck-Thru or Bolt-on design?
I don't really know a lot about this and since all my guitars have been bolt-on I can't really compare tonewise etc.
I read that Neck-thru should give a better sustain but that it is harder to produce and repair should the neck be damaged.
Anyone got any advice? :p
Oh yea I'm going for a RR design since I haven't got one like that yet, though I have liked that design for quite some time now.

Looking good! Good luck with it, and about the neck-thru bolt-on thing seems like you already have it clear, but dunno, breaking a neck is not like the most usual thing, so I wouldn't go with that in mind when selecting the kind of construction. The difference in sustain is there but it's not that big and can be compensated, but I'd say that if the guitar is not done by a pro (no offence to your mother, but it's hard to nail something on the 1st try) maybe you're bound to get better sustain and everything if you go neck-thru. Dunno, anway that's up to you :p

I have yet to see a bolt-on guitar of any make that has actually prevented me from reaching a 24th fret.

Looks like you never tried a Jackson bolt on standing :lol:

Dudes :lol: I use 0.010 in E standard, a friend of mine uses 0.013 in E standard too (ok, now THAT is insane)... but tuning down a whole step would make the strings feel like rubber bands! :p

Dudes :lol: I use 0.010 in E standard, a friend of mine uses 0.013 in E standard too (ok, now THAT is insane)... but tuning down a whole tone would make the strings feel like rubber bands! :p

WHAT??? E with 0.10? :lol: That may be ok for strict rythm or something (at least for me), but how the fuck do you bend that? :lol:

I mean, I use 0.08 for E tuning, and then 0.10 for D standard, but for E it'd be too much for me.

WHAT??? E with 0.10? :lol: That may be ok for strict rythm or something (at least for me), but how the fuck do you bend that? :lol:

I mean, I use 0.08 for E tuning, and then 0.10 for D standard, but for E it'd be too much for me.

10 for E is quite normal. I prefer 9s though. Doesn't 8s feel like spaghetti, moreso than 9s?
I mean, 9s in E to me is completely comfortable and requires little to no effort to play, while 8s would be...way too thin :rofl:

I also use .10s in E. Better tone and controll of the strings.

3244200359_00cd785385.jpg