Guitar Player's Thread

Well when I get it, I'll try it out a bit but I'm putting in one of my Jackson J-50BC's in because it has a poplar body, which is something that me and Nazgul thought contributed to the dry sound that Alexi/Roope got from their Jacksons and my Jackson Stars has an alder body, so I can't test it.

Narghhh, I dunno if I should go for this 87 model or not on ebay. What you guys think? Reckon It'l have enough gain?

Narghhh, I dunno if I should go for this 87 model or not on ebay. What you guys think? Reckon It'l have enough gain?

Well, if you're gonna do the Alexi thing with the gain boost, or a pedal boost (Lee Jackson gain boost pedals would actually kick the ass out of both the gain boost or any dist. pedal) it definately has enough distortion.

It's not like you need tons.

Well, if you're gonna do the Alexi thing with the gain boost, or a pedal boost (Lee Jackson gain boost pedals would actually kick the ass out of both the gain boost or any dist. pedal) it definately has enough distortion.

It's not like you need tons.

well i also feel like gettin it badly the fact is that im so damn weary of it....woud a lee jackson pedal be better ?? and/or cheaper ?? cause im being sucked dry here in asia dont know why my parents moved for their jobs ARGH HATE THIS PLACE!!RAAAGGGGGEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

I want a Mesa Dual Rectifier, but these things cost money.:OMG:

haha dude i was seriously half a day from gettin one,then cause the dude came up and siad he had to go to the hospital,my mood just changed and i was like ahh whatever im not getin it,then now im stuck thinkin why the fuckin helll i changed my mind

well i also feel like gettin it badly the fact is that im so damn weary of it....woud a lee jackson pedal be better ?? and/or cheaper ?? cause im being sucked dry here in asia dont know why my parents moved for their jobs ARGH HATE THIS PLACE!!RAAAGGGGGEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

I would go with the Lee Jackson preamp, a good cab, a tube power amp preferably and if you need any more gain than the preamp has, then a Lee Jackson gain boost pedal. No active boosts, any active pickups or any pedals.
Because either they'll colour your tone, in a way you can't always know beforehand, or it'll change it drastically.

So the question is - why do you want the GP-1000? For the fact that Alexi has it, or the fact that it sounds good on the albums (wich I guess is where you've heard it)?
Because then I'd go with a good passive, and maybe a Lee Jackson gain boost pedal, or the Musamaailma gain boost if you can get your hands on it (I'd prefer the pedal tho).

I'm not even sure you'll have to shift the pickup, since the HZ with the right amp and settings can get a pretty killer tone.

Can I have help with finding a good valve combo that will go well with EMG 81's - looking for a clear lead tone like Petrucci and Romeo yet a solid rhythm tone like Loomis, or are the two impossible to get from one amp?

Check out my new new song I recorded today... not the same song, but another brand new song. Give them both a listen, the new one is the 2nd song and is called "A Night at the Castle" and that's all you need to know. Listen and enjoy and tell me what you think. Check it here: http://www.myspace.com/andrewmetalopera

(Beaming Happy to your face!)

- Andrew Turner

It's cool! The first transition surprised me! :lol: I like the song, it's original and I enjoyed listening to it.

@ Mitch: I just found back the video of your mini-gig at Cosmic Puffin '08 with Death by Desire (Eli made me want to watch it again and I didn't watch it completely the first time, my internet connection failed everytime I loaded the video) it makes me want to play live. I already did it for the first time this summer but it was so short. It was at a one week rock training course with a lot of musicians.

Can I have help with finding a good valve combo that will go well with EMG 81's - looking for a clear lead tone like Petrucci and Romeo yet a solid rhythm tone like Loomis, or are the two impossible to get from one amp?

Try Mesa Combo amp, they sound good and you can get Petrucci sound easily, with Loomis sound I'm sure you can get it after a little tweaking.
Go for the Express if you have limited budget, if not go for the Stiletto or Lone Star.

I would go with the Lee Jackson preamp, a good cab, a tube power amp preferably and if you need any more gain than the preamp has, then a Lee Jackson gain boost pedal. No active boosts, any active pickups or any pedals.
Because either they'll colour your tone, in a way you can't always know beforehand, or it'll change it drastically.

So the question is - why do you want the GP-1000? For the fact that Alexi has it, or the fact that it sounds good on the albums (wich I guess is where you've heard it)?
Because then I'd go with a good passive, and maybe a Lee Jackson gain boost pedal, or the Musamaailma gain boost if you can get your hands on it (I'd prefer the pedal tho).

I'm not even sure you'll have to shift the pickup, since the HZ with the right amp and settings can get a pretty killer tone.
Even though these answers are for shadow, they answer some of mine too >.>
I've just always wanted one because I love the crunchy/mid heavey/super clear tone Alexi used to get. Plus I need something that will sound good with some more classic rock kinda stuff, Kind of just a thing to play around with to see if I like it, then if I don't I'll sell it.

If I get this gp1000 I'm prob gonna try it with my Peavey 5150 and use that for the power amp, I heard that's what they used for HCDR aye?

If you install a gainboost you can turn it on and off aye? Reason being I might install it on my Caparison (The stock pickups have this really cool sound and their really clear, reminds me of the jackson pickups actually so I wanna keep em in). Or I dunno I might try the pedal so I don't have to install a gainboost, I like the way the boosts seem to colour the tone a little though.

na cause of the tone,cause the stuff i have at the moment is really not gettin a nice amp tone where bass is like 4 mids 9 treble 7-8
and thanks for the advice:worship:

Gainboosts work like this Gain(switch off)->More Gain(switch on) so you can't really turn the gain off.Well thats what its like on my Je-1000.Once I have a GP-1000 my tone will be absolutely killer I really love Roope's Stone tones and Alexi tone on FTR.

Sup guys, I moved back to college today and there was already mad parties , il post pics of my pimp room tomorow because im too drunk now

all i can prove is this amazing photograph wich wikl show the metal for the metaldudes forever

0823082353.jpg

Even though these answers are for shadow, they answer some of mine too >.>
I've just always wanted one because I love the crunchy/mid heavey/super clear tone Alexi used to get. Plus I need something that will sound good with some more classic rock kinda stuff, Kind of just a thing to play around with to see if I like it, then if I don't I'll sell it.

If I get this gp1000 I'm prob gonna try it with my Peavey 5150 and use that for the power amp, I heard that's what they used for HCDR aye?

If you install a gainboost you can turn it on and off aye? Reason being I might install it on my Caparison (The stock pickups have this really cool sound and their really clear, reminds me of the jackson pickups actually so I wanna keep em in). Or I dunno I might try the pedal so I don't have to install a gainboost, I like the way the boosts seem to colour the tone a little though.

You can perfectly use it with your Peavey. Tube power amps are expensive as hell too :p.

I like the idea of the gain boost pedal (but only the lee jackson, because most other suck - in the way that they'll change your tone drastically. You'll have to know that you want that pedal, for the sound it gives if going with anything else) 'cus then you don't have to change batteries IN your guitar, and you can use together with other guitars too.

And the Caparison pickups are pretty nice too. Especially the PH-R.

You can perfectly use it with your Peavey. Tube power amps are expensive as hell too :p.

I like the idea of the gain boost pedal (but only the lee jackson, because most other suck - in the way that they'll change your tone drastically. You'll have to know that you want that pedal, for the sound it gives if going with anything else) 'cus then you don't have to change batteries IN your guitar, and you can use together with other guitars too.

And the Caparison pickups are pretty nice too. Especially the PH-R.

For gainboost pedal i would atleast look into the MXR line. They make pretty insane pedals.

Also many people seem to overlook OD pedals. I find them very cool and useful for getting more crunch and compression. Also can make your tone brighter :)

For gainboost pedal i would atleast look into the MXR line. They make pretty insane pedals.

Also many people seem to overlook OD pedals. I find them very cool and useful for getting more crunch and compression. Also can make your tone brighter :)

Yeah. The problem I find is, if you don't know what it's gonna do to your tone before hand, it can be a waste of money. Unless you can try it out before buying it :p.

The thing is, I am satisfied with the tone I get from my amp, so if I needed a boost, I wanted it to be as transparent as possible. I don't need a boost though :p

- the MXRs seems kinda cool too.