Guitar Player's Thread

Mystique is right, my thumb is wonky :lol: I guess it is because I'm a boney mofo :p

I might upload more tomorrow, depending if I am doing anything (its my birthday) =O

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey COBOTERS (hmm, should I call you like that?). While waiting for my parents to buy me a cursed electric guitar (to which I have to provide a part of the money!), I have to satisfy myself with the acoustic one.

On the video of Alexi playing Hate Me! on an acoustic guitar, did he just tune it down to D standard and play it as if it was an electric guitar? I need to kill my time somehow.

Mystique is right, my thumb is wonky :lol: I guess it is because I'm a boney mofo :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVIDg5TLLj4

I might upload more tomorrow, depending if I am doing anything (its my birthday) =O

bravo!! that was some clean playing :headbang:
and I have seen another player whose thumb looks like that on his picking hand as well. both of you seem to be pretty bony, so maybe that is the reason why.
but now, regarding your other thumb on the fretting hand, you should try to keep it behind the neck more often. This will allow for better reach/use of your pinky, and less tension for your left hand. The only time the thumb should ever really be over the neck is for bending or vibrato. But yeah, sorry for being such a technique-nazi :p I'm way too into it for my good.

regarding your other thumb on the fretting hand, you should try to keep it behind the neck more often. This will allow for better reach/use of your pinky, and less tension for your left hand. The only time the thumb should ever really be over the neck is for bending or vibrato.

Yes if you are playing on lower/middle strings, if you note, when his thumb is near the 6th string he is playing on the 1st string. Depending on how big his hand is compared to the neck, it could be the best place for it.

Hendrix would sometimes even fret the 6th string with his thumb and the thumb can also be used to mute the ringing of the 6th string.

I'd say give it a go anyway just to see if you do get more reach and less tension but you may have to slow down your speed drastically to re-learn playing the high string.

A lot of people who play unorthodox don't bother slowing down to learn proper technique. It's like weight training I see people at the gym with bad form, which can be detrimental. You tell them to do less weight and do it properly but they don't want to look like a sissy lifting lighter weights. :rolleyes:

The playing is very good btw.

s

Yes if you are playing on lower/middle strings, if you note, when his thumb is near the 6th string he is playing on the 1st string. Depending on how big his hand is compared to the neck, it could be the best place for it.
Well his hand isn't as big as Paul Gilbert's, so really that isn't an excuse. And yes, I did notice that his thumb is behind the neck when he's playing on the lower strings...it has to be in order for his fingers to even reach those strings. But whether you're playing on the 6th string or the 1st string, the best thing to do is to keep your thumb from popping out over the neck.

Hendrix would sometimes even fret the 6th string with his thumb and the thumb can also be used to mute the ringing of the 6th string.
you did NOT just bring Hendrix into a guitar technique discussion. he had horrible technique; and if you're one of those people who thinks, "well my hero did it, so I'm going to do it", then I'd rather not even discuss technique with you.

I'd say give it a go anyway just to see if you do get more reach and less tension but you may have to slow down your speed drastically to re-learn playing the high string.
He will definitely have to slow down and start practicing differently if he cares to; but it really isn't all that bad. I also used to play with my thumb over the neck, but it only took a few weeks to get into the good habit of having it behind the neck.

A lot of people who play unorthodox don't bother slowing down to learn proper technique

uhh...yeah. that's the reason they DO play unorthodox and with bad technique. they just don't care. which is fine. whatever floats your boat.

bravo!! that was some clean playing :headbang:
and I have seen another player whose thumb looks like that on his picking hand as well. both of you seem to be pretty bony, so maybe that is the reason why.
but now, regarding your other thumb on the fretting hand, you should try to keep it behind the neck more often. This will allow for better reach/use of your pinky, and less tension for your left hand. The only time the thumb should ever really be over the neck is for bending or vibrato. But yeah, sorry for being such a technique-nazi :p I'm way too into it for my good.

I agree with the behind-the-neck thing, one of the most useful things I learned from classical guitar lessons.

you did NOT just bring Hendrix into a guitar technique discussion. he had horrible technique; and if you're one of those people who thinks, "well my hero did it, so I'm going to do it"

Nah, Hendrix is not a hero of mine, I'm more Ynqwie, Lynch, Friedman, etc.

I agree with you on the thumb/neck technique and it goes back to classical and acoustic guitars which have big clubby necks. Modern guitar necks are very slimline so I'm not fussed if I see someone wandering from it.

Technique has its place but one example where it doesn't: I recall fuddy duddy teachers trying to teach drummers to hold the stick sideways in their left hand - yeah great technique, works with old rock, jazz playing or if you're going to wear a side drum but not really too appropriate for metal.

s

regarding your other thumb on the fretting hand, you should try to keep it behind the neck more often. This will allow for better reach/use of your pinky, and less tension for your left hand. The only time the thumb should ever really be over the neck is for bending or vibrato. But yeah, sorry for being such a technique-nazi :p I'm way too into it for my good.

Thanks for the pointer. I would have not even noticed, so I appreciate the outsider perspective.

I spent years learning Hendrix's style. He is the main reason why I started playing. So yeah, I have the whole thumb over-the-top thing down (and it probably has carried over in my playing). It is actually very useful to learn and it frees up other fingers while carrying a chord progression. Plus, bust out Little Wing or Wind Cries Mary and everyone will love you :lol:

A lot of people who play unorthodox don't bother slowing down to learn proper technique. It's like weight training I see people at the gym with bad form, which can be detrimental. You tell them to do less weight and do it properly but they don't want to look like a sissy lifting lighter weights. :rolleyes:

I completely agree. I'm glad you guys pointed this out, I would have just went on without even noticing.

Well his hand isn't as big as Paul Gilbert's, so really that isn't an excuse.

That is true, but I do have relatively long fingers and thumbs. I could palm a basketball when I was 13.

you did NOT just bring Hendrix into a guitar technique discussion. he had horrible technique; and if you're one of those people who thinks, "well my hero did it, so I'm going to do it", then I'd rather not even discuss technique with you.

Who cares about technique when you write soulful music like Jimi. But I do agree with your point, but it is not the most important thing to be focused on. That's what makes Paul Gilbert the world's best guitarist, he has perfect technique, writes soulful music that is genuine, is versatile and can play any style of music.

Nah, Hendrix is not a hero of mine, I'm more Ynqwie, Lynch, Friedman, etc.

Haha, I'm glad you mentioned Marty Friedman. Marty has the most fucked up picking arm I have ever seen, but is it holding his playing back ? I don't think so, and he is a player with great style.

Technique might suck but hes my favourite guitarist when it comes to playing style.
And, yeah even those horrible technique has some nice things which can be useful (thumb thing).. So I'm not copying anything but using what helps me or let me say : I'm adding and using what I can get to improve(i.e. learning more and more different things) my playing style..

of course, I'm not saying you shouldn't! I was just saying that when it comes to technique, you have to have a very objective/ideal view of things. Which really isn't easy, but if you're serious about it, I guess it grows on you. Being a good writer and being technically proficient are 2 very different thing. There are many people with good technique but lack soul, and vice versa. I guess the best thing to do is find a balance between them, like dedicate practice time to perfecting your technique and then also dedicate time to improving your writing. Learning music theory will greatly help you with the latter. It will open up doors for you and let you see things you never knew you could do before.

When t he crowds are gone is awesome.

^ Agreed!

I was lucky to see them headline a festival in Spain in 2002, they had Jeff Waters from Annihilator on guitar and Damond Jiniya accompanying Jon on vocals, my how Jon Oliva has changed.

There's some great guitar work on Edge of Thorns, Criss Oliva's last album

Here's an oldie

s

Last edited by a moderator: