Guitar Player's Thread

Buy a cheap bass? They're not hard to play and sound a million times better than simulation. You can get a decent J-Bass for like nothing today, worth the money if you're a home recorder imho

Buy a cheap bass? They're not hard to play and sound a million times better than simulation. You can get a decent J-Bass for like nothing today, worth the money if you're a home recorder imho

I agree with this, I bought like a 70 dollar used fender jazz bass knock off made by some company named Springfield that I can find nothing about.

It sounds a ton better than any simple sampled bass, and is a lot of fun to record my own bass parts!
It's always good to have around too, when I have friends come over and they want to jam I have a bass for someone.

Just look for some used cheap knock off bass, who knows you may have a ton of fun and get into bass!

^ this, bass provides a base for the music occasionally playing licks or interesting stuff, tone isn't as much an issue with a cheap bass as with a guitar

and it's fun as fuck to play

wat, what have I done this time

I was referring to the role of the bass in most popular music and most metal, and even in prog rock or jazz, where the bass will go off and do cool shit, it's still the base for the music.

Yup.

Just borrowed a bass from a friend of mine and been jamming with it and recording tracks a lot! I'm definitely going to buy it from him if his willing to sell it.

All of money goes on my R6 and riding it as fast as it will go legally on a track!! I swear one of my mates has one though, I'll ask him!

Hi. Just recorded a cover of Live for the Kill by Amon Amarth.
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9659882
Played it in D standard. Orchestral part made with East West's Symphonic Orchestra.
Advice is welcome! :)

Sounds great! What did you use for drums?
But: I would pan the guitars a bit more. I guess you panned 50%? And drums could be a bit louder.
I have symphonic orchestra too, it's really awesome!

Thanks! No I actually panned 100% left and right if I remember correctly. You are right about the drums (which I used Addictive Drums for btw), I put the volume a little lower because the cymbal is extremely loud so at a higher volume that would get annoying. But I can actually adjust the volume in Addictive Drums itself so that's better for next time. Thanks for the comment!

That's what I've been told...
I think I'll go with the buying a cheap bass option.
Can you plug one of these into a guitar amp ?

Yes you can but it will most likely sound shitty and break your amp, or more precisely: your amp's speaker :/

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PqnuGYZ1gU&feature=related[/ame]

So amazing :O
Definitely going to make an attempt at learning that whole album

I don't come here often, but has anyone checked out GP6? Looks pretty cool.

I want it, but the version i tried getting to work wouldnt crack at all. Looks like the easiest way will be to buy it :/

Anyone else been able to crack it successfully?

I agree with this, I bought like a 70 dollar used fender jazz bass knock off made by some company named Springfield that I can find nothing about.

It sounds a ton better than any simple sampled bass, and is a lot of fun to record my own bass parts!
It's always good to have around too, when I have friends come over and they want to jam I have a bass for someone.

Just look for some used cheap knock off bass, who knows you may have a ton of fun and get into bass!

Fully agreed with this and muffin. A synth bass would sound terrible.
Anyway....

I just had a lol because I checked facebook and my friend totally joined the "I WANT BILLY MAY'S WAR MACHINE TO PLAY KROCKATHON 15" group. Apparently shes a huge fan from the last time you told us to make everyone join :p.

haha yeah, that thing is long over. I didnt even really know the details of it because someone else set it all up and made the facebook page. I guess we came in like 4th place for votes or something idk. Billy Mays War Machine is pretty much done now, since it was my college band and some of us graduated, we might do a drunken reunion show at one of the college bars though lol.

I'm excited, we are going to restore this Gibson Les Paul special that is mad old and was lit on fire. A friend gave it to us for free.

It looks super bad ass because its black and half the paint on the top has been torched off

Just put some extra sperzels we had lying around on it a few days ago. It needs new pots, maybe change the pups, frets need some steel wooling and I'm thinking about sanding the paint off the neck.

Should be a killer back up guitar!

Also, I've had really bad writers block for the longest time so I'm going to try and force myself to write 5 songs in 5 hours today, no matter how much they suck they have to be fully written in 5 hours. I'm hoping it will help jumpstart some new ideas