He's really quite yellow, isn't he? (my tale of Heathen Crusade)

Yes, that I was. Who were you? Iowa...hmmm, Joe?

Yeah, I dug Dumah pretty well. I think I noted that the vocals wouldn't be for everyone, some people don't like the mix of black & death, especially not the higher-pitched CoF-like style. But I really did think their riffs & melodies were great, perfect in a live setting.

There are a couple of pics of Typhus in another thread around here, but more are always appreciated!

:headbang:

TheGreatDeceiver said:
He didn't move...at all. He just stood there broodingly and flashed the horns a couple times.

Compare the Dumah pics to Primordial, now THERE is a frontman.

Well, you're comparing someone who's been doing these types of vocals for 3-4 years (Crow, from Dumah) vs. someone like Nemtheanga, who's been doing them for 15 years. With more & more experience, I'm guessing your vocal chords, esophagus & lungs become like 2nd-nature and you can move about a lot more.

I've seen dozens of young extreme vocalists almost have to stand fairly still b/c they're concentrating on their vocals & lung capacity.

Speaking from personally experience, it is alot harder than it looks to concentrate on vocals and your stage presence at the same time, especially if your unexperienced. Im more forgiving if its clean vocals though, as most of the time those require more attention to detail.

En Vind Av Sorg said:
Speaking from personally experience, it is alot harder than it looks to concentrate on vocals and your stage presence at the same time, especially if your unexperienced. Im more forgiving if its clean vocals though, as most of the time those require more attention to detail.

I disagree with that last part, though I'm not a singer. I just have a feeling that GOOD extreme vocals take just as much concentration & effort, if not moreso, because you're doing something that's just not natural. Whereas someone who's blessed with strong pipes can just "do" it, you know?

MadeInNewJersey said:
I disagree with that last part, though I'm not a singer. I just have a feeling that GOOD extreme vocals take just as much concentration & effort, if not moreso, because you're doing something that's just not natural. Whereas someone who's blessed with strong pipes can just "do" it, you know?

No no, I totally agree. I just meant that alot of extreme metal vocalist (most is probably to broad) often dont have to pay as much attention to detail and delivery as vocalists for, say power metal (the most obvious example). However I know plenty of excellent extreme metal vocalists who obviously hone there vocals both in the studio and live. I certainly think Nemtheanga has payed more attention to his vocals than alot of people who are "blessed" with good pipes. Myself, I was not really born with any special sort of singing voice, so it took some time of training and practice to get to the point I am now.

MadeInNewJersey said:
I disagree with that last part, though I'm not a singer. I just have a feeling that GOOD extreme vocals take just as much concentration & effort, if not moreso, because you're doing something that's just not natural.
what

do this people have an ELECTRONIC GROWLING DEVICE MODEL Z-30 operated into their throats or something? what's not "natural" about it?

oh yeah and i disagree

yeah ain't i supposedly the "black metal" guy around here and as such, am supposed to vehemently defend extreme vocals and tell you how DIFFICULT of an ARTFORM it is to become a good dm vocalist?

it's just a bunch of fucking screaming, christ, get over yourselves

The tricky part is learning how to sing clean, and also growl without damaging your fucking vocal chords. There is actually a method to it but I havent been bothered to investigate it yet

I'm jumping in without reading the last 120 posts. :dopey:

Nailing a 3-part harmony is a fuckton more difficult than going WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF SQUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAKKKK!!!