How big is your Metal Cd collection?

I am old school as well, but that is why I have around 800 cd's. I continually buy cd's based on just the cover art if it has the right record label and track listing, you can determine alot just by looking at their chosen artwork and the names of the songs. Maybe I have been doing it so long I am good at it now but it is an awesome feeling to buy a cd without ever hearing anything about them, the anticipation and then it kicks ass, its like you discovered for yourself all by yourself. Now occasionally some are a bit dissapointing usually cause it is just like something I already have or the production is utterly horrible(be careful of labels you dont recognize) so every year or so I gather up 20-30 cds and sell them to my music store and buy a few more new ones, its my metal recycling program. Say what you will but a friend discovered Soilwork this way and called from Germany to tell be to go buy a cd with butterflies on it, I said butterflies? he said trust me. And that is how Sweedish Metal became a part of my life.

My collection has peaked at around 150 CDs. In this information age though CDs are becoming needless. I now only ever find myself buying CDs if I am a particular fan of the band in question and I want the artwork and/or lyrics.

I NEED the artwork and lyrics and actual product. I'm not satisfied unless I do.

I agree with you. I like that feeling of having a whole new album and only a vague idea what it will sound like. My instincts have only let me down a few times.

When I have been let down it is usually because I was careless at selecting a cd or I kind of knew for some reason it may not be that good but I just did not care that day.

I am old school as well, but that is why I have around 800 cd's. I continually buy cd's based on just the cover art if it has the right record label and track listing, you can determine alot just by looking at their chosen artwork and the names of the songs. Maybe I have been doing it so long I am good at it now but it is an awesome feeling to buy a cd without ever hearing anything about them, the anticipation and then it kicks ass, its like you discovered for yourself all by yourself. Now occasionally some are a bit dissapointing usually cause it is just like something I already have or the production is utterly horrible(be careful of labels you dont recognize) so every year or so I gather up 20-30 cds and sell them to my music store and buy a few more new ones, its my metal recycling program. Say what you will but a friend discovered Soilwork this way and called from Germany to tell be to go buy a cd with butterflies on it, I said butterflies? he said trust me. And that is how Sweedish Metal became a part of my life.

This is the way it should be. I thought I was the only one.

Funny thing is, the habitual downloaders seem to be newbies to metal, for the most part. A shame really.

I never download. It is a hassle and I am far more satisfied with a physical product, even when I just use the songs ripped from it on my iPod. As I also mentioned previously, it is nice to hear an album without knowing everything about it beforehand.

I used to download a lot when i didn't listen to metal. I only cared about getting the latest hit singles and it was pretty easy for me to do with napster/soulseek around. However, hunting down metal albums that I want usually leads me to frustration. I hate waiting forever on soulseek for songs to start dling or praying a torrent will work. I want to listen to it now! It's much easier for me to check out a band on youtube/myspace or read a review from a trusted reviewer, and then decide to purchase. I rather spend my time listening to music i've been accumulating than dealing with downloading.

I used to download a lot when i didn't listen to metal. I only cared about getting the latest hit singles and it was pretty easy for me to do with napster/soulseek around. However, hunting down metal albums that I want usually leads me to frustration. I hate waiting forever on soulseek for songs to start dling or praying a torrent will work. I want to listen to it now! It's much easier for me to check out a band on youtube/myspace or read a review from a trusted reviewer, and then decide to purchase. I rather spend my time listening to music i've been accumulating than dealing with downloading.
Yeah, I agree. Once I get a job, I'll probably start buying some cds.

BTW- Ron Paul ftw. Hopefully he makes the ballot.

You are doing nothing to help keep the underground alive. It is really that simple.If you are sampling, then buying, fine. If you are downloading full albums with no intention to support the underground, fuck off.
Actually, I'm preventing the underground from going mainstream, if you think of it like that.

Funny thing is, the habitual downloaders seem to be newbies to metal, for the most part. A shame really.
Yeah, I got into "real metal" earlier this year, or last year, don't really remember when. I think it also has to do with us being younger, and part of the internet age.

Some of us may be newbies, some may not. So it is kinda true I guess.

Right now, as a student, working part time, I can only really afford to save up for my car, if I didn't, I would quit downloading and I'd be using that money to buy cd's. I'll be finished with school in 3 years hopefully, which then I'll go back to buying 3 cd's a week, or whenever I can. Also if I earn enough, I plan to buy all that I have downloaded through the years, just at the moment it's so damn hard/expensive to buy anything.

Actually, I'm preventing the underground from going mainstream, if you think of it like that.

I don't think of it like that. Is it really so hard to understand how you are not being helpful? Or are you simply trying to justify what you do?

I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass, I'm very curious. I tire of the "I don't have any money, so that's my justification" reasoning.

Yeah, I got into "real metal" earlier this year, or last year, don't really remember when. I think it also has to do with us being younger, and part of the internet age.

Perhaps. Your generation is used to having everything at their fingertips, with little to no effort to finding anything.

Listen to the old men when they say: what you are doing does not help.

In regards to the thread: do you like storing your CDs vertically or horizontally? I read once that storing them vertically holds more benefit to the digital media.

I've never heard that, but I prefer horizontal. My main CD shelf is horizontal, and that holds 680 or so I believe, and then I have two supplementary vertical towers that hold 180 each. The towers don't have individual slots, so it's hard to not scratch the jewel cases when removing CDs.

I am very impressed with your last.fm every time I look at it. Could you take a picture of your collection so I could see how vast it is.

I have no space in my room whatsoever. The only option I have is to put up a hanging shelf above my large shelf. I was looking at one earlier that holds over 500, which should be good for at least 2 years, but I'm not sure if it would be too wide. I'm pretty sure if I put all my CDs into my shelves at this point I would run out of space (which is why I have piles of CDs everywhere.

My room is similar. With piles of cds everywhere.

I don't know how many metal cds I own, I haven't counted them. Probably about 250-300. My total music collection would be over 1000 now I think, growing constantly.