I like Textures, so...

Erkan

mr-walker.bandcamp
Jun 16, 2008
Uppsala, Sweden
mr-walker.bandcamp.com
... what other bands would you recommend?

I always thought I hated this type of music. Never been into thrashy stuff and the too much of a USA type of sound (no offence, it's just a taste I don't like). What I mean by USA type of sound is just that there are so many bands that try to sound like they come from the US, and it's mostly crap.

Anyway, so Textures is really great, but only their latest record. Can't listen to the previous stuff, but this is really interesting with heavy riffs and really beatuiful and tasteful melodies and atmospheric parts.

I can give examples of "mainstream" bands I DON'T like, which would be Scar Symmetry, Soilwork, In Flames, The Haunted etc. I always thought Textures belonged to this category but apparently I was wrong :D

This shit is wicked, throw me some more tips so I can reach out for some other interesting music, because lately I have only been listening to Strapping Young Lad, Between the Buried and Me, Cynic, Gojira, Sikth etc. Haven't discovered much new stuff to be honest... :| (I listen to a LOT of other music styles, but I'm talking about metal-ish stuff right now)

Oh and a happy new year to all of you, hope it's a productive and inspirational year!

huh?? i don't really understand, non o those bands are really thrash, cept maybe some of SYL...you're probably talking about the american nu-metallish sound all these bands have taken up lately, you should listen to some of their older stuff, & i would definitely say Texture falls into that category

i really don't know what to recommend, are you looking for thrash?? bands that sound like Texture?? or just anything that sounds good??:lol:

Umm... so you don't like the "USA type of sound" but all the bands you dislike listed there are European, while 3 out of 5 you like are American... :zombie:

I don't understand how you cannot listen to Textures' previous album 'Drawing Circles', since there's an awful lot of similarities between that one and the new disc.

Other bands worth to check out:

-Cult of Luna
-Devin Townsend's solo shit (suppose you're allready familiar with it since you know of SYL though)
-Testament
-Pestilence
-Susperia
-Vintersorg
-Exodus

huh?? i don't really understand, non o those bands are really thrash, cept maybe some of SYL...you're probably talking about the american nu-metallish sound all these bands have taken up lately, you should listen to some of their older stuff, & i would definitely say Texture falls into that category

i really don't know what to recommend, are you looking for thrash?? bands that sound like Texture?? or just anything that sounds good??:lol:

Hehe yeah sorry, I suck at describing what I mean sometimes... or actually, quite often. It doesn't matter from where in the world the bands come from, but it's just that there is something about many bands that make them sound like they think they're driving in the southern roads in the states in their pickup trucks and being extremely cool while doing so.

I'm not looking specifically for thrash metal, but I named thrash since that is what Textures go under according to the internet. Progressive extreme thrash metal is what I've seen Textures be labeled as.

Umm... so you don't like the "USA type of sound" but all the bands you dislike listed there are European, while 3 out of 5 you like are American... :zombie:

Again, I don't have anyting against USA or americans, haha, this is not a race issue man :) I just don't like that "Oh I'm such a bad boy thrash metal guy"-attitude. SYL has that in some songs, but it's mostly parody so it's just lovely!

I don't understand how you cannot listen to Textures' previous album 'Drawing Circles', since there's an awful lot of similarities between that one and the new disc.

-Cult of Luna
-Devin Townsend's solo shit (suppose you're allready familiar with it since you know of SYL though)
-Testament
-Pestilence
-Susperia
-Vintersorg
-Exodus

Thank you, I will be taking a good hour or two on MySpace tonight and going through allt the tips you guys throw in.

And about Textures' previous album; I don't know if I can agree. I didn't listen to the whole album though but I didn't hear much I liked. Or could it be that I'm such a production biased whore, that I THOUGHT I didn't like it because the new album just has SO much better sound? o_O Damn, I hope I'm not like that.... maybe I should go back and check it out again :)

well my favorite band is Night in Gales (not to be confused with Nightingale) if you wanna check that out, i recommend the albums "Towards the Twilight" & "Thunderbeast"

I don't know where you are getting any sort of thrash influence from Textures dude. Maybe it's cause I haven't listened to it in a while, but I don't recall one thrash beat on the whole album.

Even if there was I wouldn't call them thrash ever.

I don't know where you are getting any sort of thrash influence from Textures dude. Maybe it's cause I haven't listened to it in a while, but I don't recall one thrash beat on the whole album.

Even if there was I wouldn't call them thrash ever.

"Old days born anew"'s intro is pretty thrashy if you ask me, although too melodic to be "pure" thrash.

Anyway, screw labels! I just really love Textures now, took me two days to fall in love with the music, so now my mind is a bit more open to other stuff than the usual.

The beautiful thing about Textures is imo how they play those math-metal type of riffs with such elegance, and it's not just 1 string chugging, they make sweet melodies and atmospheres.

I guess my original question should've been just that... "Are there other bands who play math-metal type of stuff but with interesting melodies and atmospheric feel to them?"

But whatever band you think is "linked" to Textures is fine, just give me the tips and I'll check em out. In return, I might get inspired and make some good music and bring samples from the recordings! :)

I'd say Bulb's stuff, Tesseract, other than that I'd like to know more bands akin to Textures too.

Fuck me! Just checked Tesseract's MySpace and this is EXACTLY what I wanted :D

Man, am I glad I asked this... this is gonna fuel my inspiration in tons of different ways. Thanks a bunch!

Gonna make sure I check out Bulb's and Behindert's stuff too, and all others mentioned here so far.

i second someone's previous recommendations for Sybreed, especially the newer one, Antares. the previous album is quite good as well. i have to say though that Textures just sounds very European to me, and their Drawing Circles album is very similar to the new one, both really good....and i come from the "pick-up truck driving South" of the US, and i really don't hear the slightest shred of anything in Scar Symmetry, Soilwork, In Flames, or The Haunted that sounds like they are trying to make this attitude..... actually those are some of my favorite bands.... and it's killling me that i cannot find the Limited Edition version of The Haunted's new one, "Versus", anywhere. :(

Agreed, Sybreed is the shit, very inspiring music.

I also forgot about Fell Silent, Periphery, Enditol and Chimp Spanner. Check also Ion Dissonance, Sikth and Dillinger Escape Plan, they're bit more extreme but maybe you'll like it.

-Cult of Luna
-Testament
-Pestilence
-Susperia
-Vintersorg
-Exodus

Dude! Crap! I'm sorry, I haven't even listened to Drawing Circles, it was Polars. I will check out Drawing Circles :)

You might wanna check out some Mnemic. I recommend the album "Mechanical Spin Phenomena" (which is miles better than their newest "Passenger" imo). The clean vocals are not as great as Textures' but the riffs are slaying.