I like Textures, so...

check out After The Burial.... the album Rareform... not a whole lot of atmospheric ambient parts, but there are a few..... it's mostly heavy stuff, but I still think you'd like them

My friend just played me Cloudkicker the other day, and despite the RETARDED name (no metal band name should have the word "cloud" in it), it was pretty awesome stuff.

Checked it out! Cool stuff, I liked his voice. But overall the music, or atleast that song, is too melodic. I missed some planet smashing riffs in there :( But then again, you can't have EVERYTHING in your style, it would become quite chaotic and I guess he is really the melodic type of guy. He would fit together nicely with one of my old guitarists, they could play folk-music all day long :)

Thanks for the tip!

You have a problem with Dan, you have a problem with me :p
Too melodic....pfff....

Go get some trve garage blackmetal then, suggestion: Gorgoroth, the Destroyer. I have yet to find an album that is closer to noise than music :lol:

You have a problem with Dan, you have a problem with me :p
Too melodic....pfff....

Go get some trve garage blackmetal then, suggestion: Gorgoroth, the Destroyer. I have yet to find an album that is closer to noise than music :lol:

Now where in hell did you read that I had a problem with Dan? I don't even know the guy! :) Just because someone recommends something doesn't mean I have to love it, although the majority of the stuff posted in here has been great, I mean it and it's very very appreciated.

And I only listen to garage blackmetal when I'm drinking with friends on friday nights, because they're all sort of into that stuff. Otherwise I'm really not a fan of any kind of black metal.

Besides, did you even consider my suggestions from my first reply here?

Yup! I replied saying I thought Tesseract was really great. Sybreed is also ending up in my music rotation, so thumbs up for that. Obscenity is pretty nice, a bit too old school death metal for me (I really dig Cryptopsy because of their classical music and jazz influences).

Cloudkicker is another. his stuff is on myspace.

Haha, wow! I hurried to post while listening to "Hold on" by Cloudkicker. Before the first riff ends, I want to say I love THIS! It reminds me so much of Devin Townsend. I'll edit this post soon :)

Damn nice, it continued in just the "right" way after the first riff, this is some seriously awesome stuff. Great of him to share his music free, I downloaded all his stuff and I will listen through it tonight. Really awesome, it's got some of that Devin vibe in it, which can never go wrong.

After the Burial was decent, but I did expect more of them after the intro on the first song. I think they have a lot of potential, but right now I felt they were a little bit flat. But they seem to have a lot of gigs coming so what I think doesn't mean shit, they seem to succeed :)

But seriously, thanks for Cloudkicker man! (The name is horrible though! :()

Now where in hell did you read that I had a problem with Dan? I don't even know the guy! :) Just because someone recommends something doesn't mean I have to love it, although the majority of the stuff posted in here has been great, I mean it and it's very very appreciated.

And I only listen to garage blackmetal when I'm drinking with friends on friday nights, because they're all sort of into that stuff. Otherwise I'm really not a fan of any kind of black metal.

Yup! I replied saying I thought Tesseract was really great. Sybreed is also ending up in my music rotation, so thumbs up for that. Obscenity is pretty nice, a bit too old school death metal for me (I really dig Cryptopsy because of their classical music and jazz influences).

Haha, easy dude, did you miss my smilie there? :saint: I wasn't serious :loco:
And +1 on black metal, don't like most of it myself.

Haha, easy dude, did you miss my smilie there?

And did you miss mine? ;)

Come to think of it, the only black metal that I have volunteerly listened to is Vesania, from Poland. Because they are from Poland, they can't escape the death metal influences haha, so they have some really nice death metal feel here and there. I saw them live right here in this shit hole town Gävle in Sweden, playing as an opening act for Cryptopsy. They were good live but the corpse paint... it's hard not to laugh when you see those :)

Then Cryptopsy conquered the stage and it was non-stop head banging until the end of the show. Lord Worm came out and talked to us for a while, and I got Flo's sweaty and used drumstick! ("used"... hmm, that doesn't sound good, does it?) It all happened in a pretty small club down town, there weren't more than 35-40 people in the audience, and I still can't believe why they came here in the first place.

Anyway, all other black metal bands I've heard so far have been kinda the same old, same old. It's also funny how anti-religious they are but yet they treat their own music and ideology as their own religion, thus... error. Just feels like another religion war where it goes "My religion is better than yours, now subjugate!"

Edit: Hey, this brings a side-topic to the thread. If anyone can "disprove" me (or change my mind) about black metal, feel free to post some really awesome "outside the box" black metal! :) Would be fun to hear.

I'd say check out

Architects http://www.myspace.com/architectsuk - They have a new album coming out this month which should be awesome.
Born of Osiris http://www.myspace.com/bornofosiris - They don't have as much of a clean sound but are pretty similar to Textures for grooves. They have synths too which is really cool at times and adds some nice melody.
Veil of Maya http://www.myspace.com/veilofmaya - Similar to Born of Osiris. Very groovy mathy stuff but a bit melodic with the music at times.

Cloudkicker sounds awesome. Thanks for the hint. I do miss some vocals though - they would add the last 15%.

I'd say check out

Architects http://www.myspace.com/architectsuk - They have a new album coming out this month which should be awesome.
Born of Osiris http://www.myspace.com/bornofosiris - They don't have as much of a clean sound but are pretty similar to Textures for grooves. They have synths too which is really cool at times and adds some nice melody.
Veil of Maya http://www.myspace.com/veilofmaya - Similar to Born of Osiris. Very groovy mathy stuff but a bit melodic with the music at times.

Thanks a bunch! All three of those bands were really good. I liked Architects hardcore style, mixed with death metal and what not... pretty cool.

I don't know where you are getting any sort of thrash influence from Textures dude. Maybe it's cause I haven't listened to it in a while, but I don't recall one thrash beat on the whole album.

Even if there was I wouldn't call them thrash ever.

Agree with you that they are not a thrash band dude... but Polars had HEAPS of thrash riffs. Every song has at least one wicked thrash riff. I remember them saying when they first came out that the Haunted were big influences on them. You can kinda tell on Polars. I FUCKING LOVE THAT ALBUM.

Very Surprised that no body has meantioned Scarve Yet, check out their album 'Irradiant' - they're on the same label as Textures. They kinda fall between early textures and early Meshuggah.

Also check out "Sol Niger Within" by Fredrik Thordendal of meshuggah (who actually also guests on the above Scarve album)

Also check out Fell Silent, which is Acle from Tesseract's other band. They are like a slightly more Meshuggah-ier version of Tesseract. Their album is awesome. They are also on the same label as my band... and I might add on that note, that a lot of our work is influenced by Textures. ;)

I will check out the above mentioned bands!

I found a band too, got a tip from yet another guitarist friend (man, I have too many of those).

Tandjent

Haven't listened beyond the first song so far but it's nice! Gonna be interesting to hear the rest.

Fell silent was pretty good once I listened beyond the second song, the things kinda settled in on me but I would've really loved them with that hardcore singer that was in SikTh... can't remember his name, but I think his voice would be pretty cool to have along with their standard vocals!

Scarve was nice, since I'm really into death metal at times (mostly Decapitated, Vader and Krisiun), this was a cool twist. Very modern death metal, but still raw in its way. I will try throwing them in my music rotation, thanks for the tip.

Threat Signal had a couple good songs but it's not gonna stick with me, not really my cup of tea. But finally there is something in this thread that I don't like that much! I'm amazed at the fact that I've liked a huge majority of the bands posted here...

Scamp's first song on their MySpace had no mercy, haha, it was pretty head-bangy! They're good, they don't have that atmospheric stuff that I love to combine with this really heavy music, but if every band had that... everything would be the same :) These might stick with me, I can definately not say that it's bad! (Just now, a drum'n bass part popped up in their song, that really increased my "respect" for them! Creative, me likes)

Thanks for the tips.

Edit: Scamp just became a bit atmospheric now... kinda a lot actually. I get the feeling these guys are gonna grow on me :)

I will check out the above mentioned bands!

I found a band too, got a tip from yet another guitarist friend (man, I have too many of those).

Tandjent

Haven't listened beyond the first song so far but it's nice! Gonna be interesting to hear the rest.

I thought you said didn't like meshuggah? you seem to like a lot of bands that sound very much like them

As incredibly ashamed as I feel saying this, I'm gonna say it anyway :p

<unadulteraded self promotion>

My band! Click on my sig...

</unadulteraded self promotion>

Probably not your thing, but just thought I'd add it in there anyway :p