I like Textures, so...

Those bands I listed are nothing like Textures, just some new material for you worth checking out ;)

If you want shit that's in the line of Textures' work, check out:

-Meshuggah
-Hacride

If you want thrash metal which is owning everything else out there with it's crushing riffage:

-Annihilator
-Cyclone Temple
-Testament
-Exodus
-Heathen
-early Pestilence
-Municipal Waste
-Laaz Rockit
-Hexen
-Forbidden
-Evile
-Death Angel

*Zimmer's Hole* Just because they fucking can.

i know what you mean by the southern style you describe. thats actually what i like about those bands, they take the best elements of american and european styles.
I definitely give two thumbs up to the new sybreed as well. it is a very interesting piece of music!

Just checked out Sybreed, seems REALLY cool! Feels like.... a more modern version of Fear Factory, with lots of different influences. Well actually, maybe not that much Fear Factory but there are some really sweet industrial parts that remind me of them.

FirstStrikeIsDeadly: I will definately check out Hacride then!

This is really cool, thanks a bunch!

Just checked out Sybreed, seems REALLY cool! Feels like.... a more modern version of Fear Factory, with lots of different influences. Well actually, maybe not that much Fear Factory but there are some really sweet industrial parts that remind me of them.

FirstStrikeIsDeadly: I will definately check out Hacride then!

This is really cool, thanks a bunch!

And sybreed, for me, has to grow on you a bit as well.. at first i liked it, second listen reconition kicked in a bit, third time i really started to get into it, and now i really like all of their work, even though the mix could be better (first album) the music really shines!

And sybreed, for me, has to grow on you a bit as well.. at first i liked it, second listen reconition kicked in a bit, third time i really started to get into it, and now i really like all of their work, even though the mix could be better (first album) the music really shines!

Yeah I understand... I've listened through some of their work and now I want to hear more/again, and that is a good sign :) I'm probably gonna get more hooked the more I listen, which I will do. I didn't like his nasal type singing first... there is some weird noise going on in his voice, but now I'm liking it :)

Agreed, Sybreed is the shit, very inspiring music.

I also forgot about Fell Silent, Periphery, Enditol and Chimp Spanner. Check also Ion Dissonance, Sikth and Dillinger Escape Plan, they're bit more extreme but maybe you'll like it.

Checked out most of those bands (big fan of Sikth and Dillinger since before though), and it was really nice!

But... seriously, what the FUCK is Chimp Spanner? That totally blew me away, what the hell! Is that just one guy doing everything himself? The way he played the drums on his keyboard... what the fucking fuck, I still can't believe it :D I'm really into his shit, gotta go listen through Chimp Spanner's MySpace again.

Dude, seriously, thanks for giving these tips, it really has fueled the musical fire in me. Thanks to everyone!

(At first, I thought I wasn't going to like stuff that sounds like Meshuggah, but wtf, these guys, Chimp Spanner and all others, do it better than Meshuggah, it's more interesting!)

Gojira:
If you can disregard the lyrics being Finnish, check out Stam1na:
http://www.myspace.com/stam1na
It probably isn't exactly what you're looking for, but I find they have lots of similarities with the music you described. Lots of SYL influences too, and definitely worth checking out! :)

and i come from the "pick-up truck driving South" of the US, and i really don't hear the slightest shred of anything in Scar Symmetry, Soilwork, In Flames, or The Haunted that sounds like they are trying to make this attitude..... actually those are some of my favorite bands.... and it's killling me that i cannot find the Limited Edition version of The Haunted's new one, "Versus", anywhere. :(

Heh, I was wondering the same. As a matter of fact, up here the kind of music they play is often called "Sweden metal" since it's becoming somewhat of a trademark sound.

Gojira:
If you can disregard the lyrics being Finnish, check out Stam1na:
http://www.myspace.com/stam1na

Good stuff! But unfortunately, I think it's important to be able to understand the music, so it's not gonna stick with me :( I better learn finnish! No but really, I could hear a bit of SYL in there, it warmed me up :)

Have you checked out Vildhjärta? They got a similar style like tesseract. http://www.myspace.com/vildhjarta

SHIT!

*pooped my pants*

Many thanks man, I didn't know about these guys and they live only a few hours up north from me!

This is exactly what I want right now. Heavy as a planet, yet with the atmospheric and melodic bits.

I'm quite happy I started this thread, I now know what type of music I actually want to make myself. I just have to be careful not to rip people off, but I'm sure my twisted mind will make its own style, even though I'm in to this stuff.

Just wish I had people to work with around here, everybody from my "band" have become pussies that either don't like metal anymore or can't be without their girlfriend for 2 minutes.

*pooped my pants*

Many thanks man, I didn't know about these guys and they live only a few hours up north from me!

This is exactly what I want right now. Heavy as a planet, yet with the atmospheric and melodic bits.

I'm quite happy I started this thread, I now know what type of music I actually want to make myself. I just have to be careful not to rip people off, but I'm sure my twisted mind will make its own style, even though I'm in to this stuff.

Just wish I had people to work with around here, everybody from my "band" have become pussies that either don't like metal anymore or can't be without their girlfriend for 2 minutes.

Heh, I'm several hours south from them...
I think they had a nice name to their genre: Ambidjent. Pretty much spot on, imo. I've always thought bands like, Vildhjärta, Monuments, Tesseract, being a sick and twisted version of Explosions in the sky. Like Meshuggah been listening to them 24/7.

What's always amazes me about these bands too is their awesome clean guitars. I can't understand how they manage to make them cut through so nicely. The tone is so sharp and warm at the same time, really impressive.

Too bad I don't own a sevenskrang. I would've definitely learned all their songs.

I can give examples of "mainstream" bands I DON'T like, which would be Scar Symmetry, Soilwork, In Flames, The Haunted etc. I always thought Textures belonged to this category but apparently I was wrong

anyone else think it's funny that he rags on bands with that "US" sound, then proceeds to list mostly a bunch of swedes?

anyone else think it's funny that he rags on bands with that "US" sound, then proceeds to list mostly a bunch of swedes?

Actually there was only swedish bands in the list. The Haunted is from Gothenburg, Soilwork is from Helsingborg, Scar Symmetry is from Avesta, In Flames is from Gothenburg. And Textures is from the Netherlands, so apparently Gojira doesn't like Swedish sound :heh:

edit: But if you want bands that play kinda like "experimental metal", why not try Kekal (indonesia), Isis, Neurosis, Godflesh, Ulver (norway), Ephel Duath (italy) and Sigh (japan)

Gojira, it's much more "traditional" progressive-death in terms of structure and rhythm than some of the djent-fests suggested here, but when I think heavy and yet epic, Dan Swano's solo stuff always comes to mind - check out "Uncreation" on his myspace, it's one of my all-time favorite songs.

Well, it's my fault for not making an effort to get across what I mean. What I meant was that there is a big chunk of american metal that is just straight forward metal with an intro, verse, bridge, chorus, verse, bridge, chorus, solo, chorus x 2, and everything sounds the same. This is how I look at the bands I listed (maybe with an exception of Scar Symmetry, but I still don't like them), and yes they are not from the US but they play the exact same shit. This is what I meant by them having a "US" attitude. I know it's just me who is associating them with the US for some weird reason, so I understand why people go "WTF is he talking about?". Anyway, then I heard Textures, which I at first related to Soilwork and Scar Symmetry, and then I was so surprised at how wrong I was when I had listened through their album. Hence this thread... "What else have I been missing all this time?", sort of.

And there has been MANY great bands posted here, and without everyone's tips, I probably would never have found out about them.

Gojira, it's much more "traditional" progressive-death in terms of structure and rhythm than some of the djent-fests suggested here, but when I think heavy and yet epic, Dan Swano's solo stuff always comes to mind - check out "Uncreation" on his myspace, it's one of my all-time favorite songs.

Checked it out! Cool stuff, I liked his voice. But overall the music, or atleast that song, is too melodic. I missed some planet smashing riffs in there :( But then again, you can't have EVERYTHING in your style, it would become quite chaotic and I guess he is really the melodic type of guy. He would fit together nicely with one of my old guitarists, they could play folk-music all day long :)

Thanks for the tip!