I like Textures, so...

I thought you said didn't like meshuggah? you seem to like a lot of bands that sound very much like them

You're right, I don't like Meshuggah much enough to actually be listening to it daily/weekly because of the lack of variation in the music. Some people like it, some don't, that's fine isn't it?

I don't know exactly what you are talking about but if I "like a lot of bands that sound very much like them", I guess I can't like Cloudkicker, Periphery, Sybreed etc etc, because I honestly don't see what sounds "very much like them". None of those bands have the monotone screaming like Jens Kidman has, and a majority of the bands listed here have quite mellow melodies etc also, as opposed to Meshuggah.

However... there's not much in this world that can beat the outro on "Straws pulled at random" by Meshuggah. If they could only make more stuff that sounded like that part, oh my god... that would kick some fucking ass!

Anyway... I don't know, to you maybe it all sounds like Meshuggah but it certainly doesn't for me. Guess we hear differently :)

And did you miss mine? ;)

Then Cryptopsy conquered the stage and it was non-stop head banging until the end of the show. Lord Worm came out and talked to us for a while, and I got Flo's sweaty and used drumstick! ("used"... hmm, that doesn't sound good, does it?) It all happened in a pretty small club down town, there weren't more than 35-40 people in the audience, and I still can't believe why they came here in the first place.

ive had the pleasure of seeing them in a small venue like this a few times in canada. great band live.

The only bands you actually need are already listed in your profile.

The mighty Devin, and Gojira.

And Testament.

Well, if I could choose 3 band's music, it would definately be Devin Townsends solo stuff, Strapping Young Lad, and maybe Gojira... not sure about the last spot but 2 of them would definately be Devin and SYL :)

I haven't heard Testament! My first impression of the name is like... some sort of old school, maybe early 90s heavy metal. I'll check on MySpace and see what they're like :)

Edit: Guess I wasn't too far off with my guess :D Not heavy metal though, it was quite thrasy, but still a mix of old heavy metal or whatever you wanna call it. Nevermore is really nice to listen to when I feel like some heavy metal feeling, although there is a lot more to their music than that.

ive had the pleasure of seeing them in a small venue like this a few times in canada. great band live.

Aye, truly amazing.

I haven't heard Testament! My first impression of the name is like... some sort of old school, maybe early 90s heavy metal. I'll check on MySpace and see what they're like :)

Edit: Guess I wasn't too far off with my guess :D Not heavy metal though, it was quite thrasy, but still a mix of old heavy metal or whatever you wanna call it. Nevermore is really nice to listen to when I feel like some heavy metal feeling, although there is a lot more to their music than that.

The godfathers of Thrash Metal, right there. Some of the best musicians in the history of metal have been/are involved with them:

-Eric Peterson
-Steve DiGiorgio
-James Murphy
-Dave Lombardo
-John Tempesta
-Alex Skolnick
-Gene Hoglan
-Paul Bostaph
-Chuck Billy

Now, if these names don't say much to you, you better dive deep into your history books.

Fuck MySpace. It's WAY too focused on only their latest album. Check out The Legacy/The New Order/Practice What You Preach/First Strike Still Deadly (re-recordings) for a good listen of their classic/old material.

Check out Low/The Gathering/The Formation of Damnation for their modern sound with a godlike line-up.

Ah yes, I knew the mighty Gene Hoglan had been involved with them. Cool, lots of strong names there. As you can tell, I'm really not good at "old" metal. I got into metal via Slipknot, and then I was actually quite hooked on Slayer and Pantera as a teenager. That's about it when it comes to "old" metal for me, haven't deeply listened to any other bands from that era.

Even though people kinda hate or atleast dislike Slipknot these days, which I sort of also do, I still wonder what I would be listening to today if it wasn't for Slipknot. Wonder if I would even be making music at all :| Scary thought.