I'm actually looking for your HONEST opinions with this one.

nice! yeah i have a very aewsome (and hot) friend from highschool who is interested in a trip there and i think going over would be hella enjoyable. got some family i've never met, and i'd like to bring my grandfather's dogtags to the Wall - he was never particularly religious but his dedication to the ethical elements of judaism was amazing, so i'd like to do it.

ANYWAY ON TOPIC POST INCOMING.

You know if you're a filthy jew, and can prove it, you can get an all expense payed trip to Israel from an Israeli charity organization. It's called Birthright.

I'm not too stupid to get into a school. I just can't do book learning. I get sidetracked and shit. I went through a semester as soon as I got out of high school, and I got low c's... in 2 EASY classes.

If you go to a good school that's not as much of an issue. Yeah, some core bullshit will be like that, but it's over really quickly (you can test out of most core curriculum at major schools) - think about how you learn and see what interests you.

I don't do 'book learning' well myself, but I found something I enjoy and can do well and I've gotten a good start on it. College will be nothing like high school if you don't make high school happen again on purpose, and learning won't be 'memorize, regurgitate, brownnose' when you get to the things that interest you.

Jeff

So Will.

Seriously, dude. The military is a generally accepted way out for people (especially guys) who don't really know what they're doing with their lives. i contemplated it, i know lots of people who have, i know a handful who did it - and the majorty of those guys did not find a worthwhile way out. this is a bad time to be in the armed forces in general considering that america is actively at war and the cessation of tha struiggle remains in doubt until november.

aprt from the time-specific it can completely change the way you look at the world. there's deliberate indoctrination involved, and while i acept that that may be necessay to a degree for a functionining military, i don't have to like it, nor recommend it to someone who can CERTAINLY DO BETTER. and there's the crux of the matter - you're not fucking retarded. you can do better than that shit. go to school, look at counseeling if you feel you sohuld (and i highly recommend finding a competent professional, much can be gained from the mental health field), explore fields that you are interested in. there are so many more options that aren't a slippery slope to some serious fuckery.

OK, so here's the thing. If you're considering armed forces as an opportunity to do "something", you're not going to get "something" out of them. Will, armed forces are a very viable means to many worthwhile ends. The key is to ensure you're doing it for the right reason and that where you want to end out is something the armed forces can provide.

Each of the different branches of the military have slightly different way of doing things, and therefore things you can better achieve by joining one over the other. I have to admit, IMO the Navy is a better way to achieve job descriptions and experience you can use once you leave the military, simply because they don't make you pick up a gun and go play soldier every 6 months regardless of your job description. But, really, that's my own personal bias. (Well that and Daddy was in the navy in WWII and a close friend recently retired after 20 years in.) But the only real way to get anything out of the miltary, school, a trade, or a dedicated life of binge drinking and unrelenting womanizing is to decide what you want to get out of it, and make your plans with the end goal in sight.

It's important to remember that, as with any area of life, you will encounter bullshit "corporate" politics and complete asshole bastards with power over your life. There's no escape from that unless you move to an ice cave in Antarctica. The other thing you can't escape by joining the armed forces is yourself. If you're disappointed in you, and you're thinking armed forces will fix that, it won't. Having a plan and a goal and achieving it through the armed forces just might. So would having a plan and a goal and achieving it elsewhere.

Military offers a lot of opportunities, and it's well worth considering as an option. I just sincerely hope you'll spend more time focusing on what you want to get out of it than on the simple aspect of change, if that makes any sense.