iPhone 4

point of fact... i just don't use very many flash sites, and for the few i do use, i can wait until i get to my desktop computer if the tradeoff is that my phone runs more efficiently. the end.

BINGO - for the amount I depend on my phone to communicate with people, stability is by far the most important factor

EDIT: And yes, I'm sure Android phones are plenty stable too, but it's my understanding that despite how low the risk for viruses or malware is on them, it's still lower on the iphone

BINGO - for the amount I depend on my phone to communicate with people, stability is by far the most important factor

Yeah, great, but the point is if I want to listen to the myspace player, or visit vimeo (and possibly, although doubtfully, crash the mobile browser) it's my choice to do so.

When html5 gets more popular, and will bloat in features, and incompetent coders will have a go at it, it will most likely crash your browser too, it's the way with any software platform

DanLights said:
Apart from all discussion, I think the Iphone 4 is pretty affordable and I'm drooling over it, but if I can't get it I read that 3gs will drop heavily so I might just get that one and get rid of my 3g. Anyways I need an update

wonder what the prices will be in europe

Hmmm, I think people being able to play flash games and have access to flash based websites could put a bit of a monopoly on the app store, which is as good a reason as any from apples point of view to not include it.

There is a lot of truth to that.

Many of the points Jobs raises in his open letter are hypocritical bullshit. He preaches about openness, yet his own company lives by anything but that directive.

Big fan of open standards, proprietary and unified third party technology is evil and outdated? Hmm... I wonder if he ever tried to watch a video on his own company's website....

Flash works horrible on mobile devices? A bullshit myth. Flash Player 10.1 has already been demonstrably shown to work near flawlessly on state-of-the-art Android devices.

The mass integration of Flash in EVERY other major smartphone OS shows not only the confidence developers set in the technology, but also forces Adobe to meticulously improve the technology.

Adobe had been working for an iPhone integration for years. It's there, it works. But Steve doesn't want you to have it...

Of course he's not going to go out and say "we don't want to lose control on what you can access with your phone", but that's the sole rational reason why iOS users won't even get the OPTION to run flash, even though the hardware is more than capable and software solutions exist.

On every other smartphone OS the users will have the choice to disable flash if they feel it's degrading their experience.

If you operate a flash-heavy site, Jobs wants you to create a special app to access your media so he can cash in. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with that, but DON'T preach openness if you actually fight that principle with all your power.

Yeah, great, but the point is if I want to listen to the myspace player, or visit vimeo (and possibly, although doubtfully, crash the mobile browser) it's my choice to do so.

I totally agree with this, but I also see Apple's side. If they allowed Flash to work on the iPhone and it performed like shit, people would be so pissed off at them. Instead, Apple is supporting open web standards that anyone can use & make. As stated before, Flash is buggy. There isn't even a functional mobile version of Flash. Flash is old and Adobe has refused to innovate with Flash. They could totally have everyone in the palm of their hand but they are not doing anything to improve their product. Like I said, I can see why people are pissed that they do not have the option to use Flash. At the same time though, I can absolutely see why Apple is disallowing it ensure their product operates as advertised.

I totally agree with this, but I also see Apple's side. If they allowed Flash to work on the iPhone and it performed like shit, people would be so pissed off at them. Instead, Apple is supporting open web standards that anyone can use & make. As stated before, Flash is buggy. There isn't even a functional mobile version of Flash. Flash is old and Adobe has refused to innovate with Flash.

Well the thing is, that not entirely true, i work with flash 8 hours a day (not mobile though), and it may have it's quirks, but for what it is and how it works, it ain't that bad.

The only reason android phones sell is because they are cheaper.

Each time I have one in my hand, it just feels so slow or not efficient in the touch response. It's like you sometimes have to tap 2 or 3 times to get what you need.

I have a friend who was against the idea of having an iphone, he tought android would be his solution to have a smartphone with a lot of abilities. But when he tried it, and then took my iPhone, he just said "omg it's so smooth and fast". He's now planning to buy an iPhone when it's gonna be thinner, which may be the case for the iPhone 4.

Seriously, it's just an hype against another. But then, really, just only for the way safari reacts in the phone, is enough to make the iPhone viable against any competitor. You know, it's like, when I dicovered the windows tactile computers... I was like "this is not possible, the first iphone 2/3 years ago was smoother and this computer does not even get every time you touche the screen". It's like if Apple had 3 years of tactile technology advance on the competition.

You can seriously browse website as you do on a computer. And about flash... seriously, even on the computer, I avoid flash like the pest when I can, it's so boring. I just miss one or two things made on flash. I hate that it's not already on the iPhone, but I just don't care...

And I got my 3GS for 80 bucks with a special deal.

The only reason android phones sell is because they are cheaper.

Each time I have one in my hand, it just feels so slow or not efficient in the touch response. It's like you sometimes have to tap 2 or 3 times to get what you need.

I have a friend who was against the idea of having an iphone, he tought android would be his solution to have a smartphone with a lot of abilities. But when he tried it, and then took my iPhone, he just said "omg it's so smooth and fast". He's now planning to buy an iPhone when it's gonna be thinner, which may be the case for the iPhone 4.

Seriously, it's just an hype against another. But then, really, just only for the way safari reacts in the phone, is enough to make the iPhone viable against any competitor. You know, it's like, when I dicovered the windows tactile computers... I was like "this is not possible, the first iphone 2/3 years ago was smoother and this computer does not even get every time you touche the screen". It's like if Apple had 3 years of tactile technology advance on the competition.

You can seriously browse website as you do on a computer. And about flash... seriously, even on the computer, I avoid flash like the pest when I can, it's so boring. I just miss one or two things made on flash. I hate that it's not already on the iPhone, but I just don't care...

And I got my 3GS for 80 bucks with a special deal.

i agree on alot of android phones feeling sluggish, but def not my new one. 1ghz processor, 512 mb of ram. blazing fast :D

Poor dude, works at BK and can't buy a Mac. Just to rub that in, I have 6 of them. ;)

Fixed it for him :headbang:

The sentence woulda been funny if you had worked at mcdonalds though....works at mickey d's and cant buy a big Mac

Edit: I have a strong feeling that it went right over my head and i caught on after posting