Is Death condidered Death Metal???

Is Death "Death Metal"???

• Total voters
I think it really depends on the album. IMO anything up through human is definitely death metal, no matter how you twist it. But The Sound of Perseverance is definitely NOT death metal.

TSoP is death metal, I think it's crazy to state otherwise. It's more technical than a lot of death metal, but I don't really think it's that progressive.

The riffing style on TSoP is largely not death metal. It's more like proggy thrash/heavy metal. The harsh vocals are really the only death metal element, but even they aren't typical death metal vocals.

I've heard a small handfull of arguments from metalheads stating that Death are not death metal but more along the lines of Thrash. I agree to a point & I know people feel more strongly about it than I do. I've heard a lot of arguments. Go to MA or Anus to see what I'm talking about.
I'ts the ole "a music genre has evolved so the old guard who started it all are not considered that genre anymore because it is more DEFINED now" bullcrap argument... Old Death is without a doubt Death Metal... more modern Death albums is debatable but I would call it Progressive Death Metal... and if it's argued that old Death is "thrash or thrashy" it's because you have to remember DM was born from Thrash itself as is BM imo... so YES old Death is DM... Also Atheist back in the day were considered DM and I saw them live back then and every fan at the shows were DM fans... <shrugs>