JRT12's Stinnett Guitar build

Looking great man! Personally I wouldn't care for fanned frets myself. Something about the fact that the traditional fret placement and everything is...after all...traditional for a reason, haha. Just not my thing is all. But I would imagine going traditional on the frets would be easier anyway? ;) Any kind of price-point you can throw out at this time, even if it's just a ballpark?

~006

Oh yeah, traditional frets would be way easier. It's new to me so I'm interested in trying it out, I've never even played one but I hear great things - long scale on the B string and a short scale on the high E, that sounds pretty appealing.

I've got to do a little research before I'll give a price, but I don't anticipate it being too much more expensive than a 6.

Yeah, conceptually it makes a lot of sense, and I've heard it fits the shape and motions of one's hand better, but I'm skeptical. OOooh, you should do a guitar with the Buzz Feiten system, though fuck if I can imagine how one would route that!

Did a little more work today.

Ebony with black binding.

Rough finish at this point:
100_2184Medium.jpg

Binding scraped flush:
100_2185Medium.jpg

Once the board is finish sanded and polished, this will be a really cool look.

I am gonna push so hard to get my parents to fund one of these for my college graduation present!

AND FUCK YEAH VISE GRIP, mine serves me well :lol:

I can do sprayed finishes, it's just inconvenient for me because I don't have a dedicated area for painting. I plan to keep it to a minimum for now but I will do them for extra money.

Yeah thats what I thought might be the case, cool stuff. Hopefully more of these step by step's "in the making" in future :)

Truing up the neck taper with a straight edge on the router table:
100_2201Medium.jpg

Edge sanding the body:
100_2202Medium.jpg

Marking the location of the neck:
100_2204Medium.jpg

Positioning the neck in preparation for creating a template:
100_2205Medium.jpg

Some boards in place to form my routing template:
100_2206Medium.jpg

I line the edges with a layer of tape to offset the cut enough to make the pocket nice and tight:
100_2207Medium.jpg

Neck pocket cut:
100_2208Medium.jpg

Tight enough to hold the body with no glue. That's what I'm talking about.
100_2209Medium.jpg

100_2210Medium.jpg

Routing the electronics cavity:
100_2212Medium.jpg

Routing the recess for the cover:
100_2213Medium.jpg

Cavity ready to go:
100_2214Medium.jpg

Bandsawing a strip of the body wood for a cavity cover:
100_2211Medium.jpg

After some final shaping:
100_2215Medium.jpg

Body carve is coming up soon.

how did you get into luthierie (however iyou spell it)? Did you have to study it?
How many crappy jobs does it take before you get good? and how much does it cost per build (parts... ect.)