JRT12's Stinnett Guitar build

how did you get into luthierie (however iyou spell it)? Did you have to study it?
How many crappy jobs does it take before you get good? and how much does it cost per build (parts... ect.)

I got into it about 6 years ago because I wanted custom guitars but I couldn't afford them. I spent probably a year or so before that reading everything I could on the subject and also on general woodworking techniques before I really felt prepared.

I had assembled parts guitars and worked on my own guitars for several years also, so I had a good knowledge of guitars before I ever thought about building from scratch. Once I had collected the tools and things I needed, I built several prototype guitars that I never fully set up to be playable, but only to practice my approach to building and my woodworking techniques. The first time I built a fully playable guitar it turned out great.
I have a background in engineering and 3D design which came into play heavily with my guitar building, so my experience may not be similar to many others'.

The cost per build will vary wildly. Take a stroll through a site like Stewart Macdonald and price all the hardware. You can easily spend $400 on hardware (including truss rod, fretwire, electronics, etc.) and a couple hundred more on wood. Several hundred more on wood if you go with some exotic pieces or highly figured woods.
The cost of tools and equipment will make the first few builds extremely uneconomical (to say the least) - but once you get past that things seem to change. If you have access to a nice woodworking shop from the start you'll have a huge advantage, some people get lucky that way - I didn't.

JRT12 went with a recessed Floyd Rose, so I needed to make some new templates for this guitar.

Some people use a jigsaw / scrollsaw to make these. I make templates with straight edged blocks and a router:
100_2221Medium.jpg

After a whole bunch more of the same:
100_2223Medium.jpg

Checking out the look with JRT12's new Floyd:
100_2224Medium.jpg

Looking good dude. I dunno if I mentioned this before, but would you ever contemplate making any lefties? I know you will charge extra for one if you do, so don't worry about that.

Machining a relief around the body perimeter as a reference for the carve depth:
100_2253Medium.jpg

The bulk of the wood is removed with an angle grinder, which melts it off just like butter. A very steady hand is a must. From there an orbital sander and a ton of hand sanding brings it to the final shape.
This series of shots shows several different points throughout the process.

This is one part of the guitar build that feels the most like creating a piece of art!

100_2255Medium.jpg

100_2256Medium.jpg

100_2257Medium.jpg

100_2258Medium.jpg

Very close to the final shape:
100_2259Medium.jpg

100_2260Medium.jpg

100_2262Medium.jpg

100_2264Medium.jpg

Marking up the carving on the back:
100_2268Medium.jpg

Hit with the grinder:
100_2269Medium.jpg

Other side with the grinder:
100_2270Medium.jpg

After some sanding:
100_2271Medium.jpg

More sanding:
100_2272Medium.jpg

After a couple stages of routing for the Floyd:
100_2274Medium.jpg

I'm hooking JRT12 up with an oversized sustain block. For those who've never compared, this will have a noticable impact!
100_2276Medium.jpg

how do you keep your hand so steady??? if I was using an angle grinder id probably cut the thing in half!

Brilliant thread MH. :headbang: A1 craftmanship.

Take the edge off where the forearm rests (whilst seated) though. My Hellraiser annoys the crap out or me due to that square edge there.

Take the edge off where the forearm rests (whilst seated) though. My Hellraiser annoys the crap out or me due to that square edge there.

Yeah, at first I disliked that about my 007 Blackjack too, but luckily I got used to it in a month or so. Since then it hasn't bothered me :)

This thread is very inspiring, I've always wanted to make a guitar(s) myself.