Learning Swedish?

Yeah the one ESP from here is a tad different than the one of Chile, but my general perception (in these two cases) is that they're quite similar at times. Yeah Castellano is more and more important these days, especially in the U.S.
To be honest I hate Portuguese, but that's just my opinion :) . Spanish and Portuguese are quite similar; I think I could easily understand a person from Portugal or Brazil, since the languages have more in common than say Italian and Spanish.

hmmm, why hate? :p the portuguese from portugal is very strange for me but the brazilian is different

in my russian years i saw tons of brazilian soaps that were extremely popular on russian tv back then. I think brazilian portugese is very beautiful and is unlike any other language. I much prefer it to spanish, there were times i even wanted to learn brazilian :D

in my russian years i saw tons of brazilian soaps that were extremely popular on russian tv back then. I think brazilian portugese is very beautiful and is unlike any other language. I much prefer it to spanish, there were times i even wanted to learn brazilian :D

brazilian soaps are very famous around the world, but why do you think brazilian portuguese is unique? in particular i prefer swedish or norwegian..they are so beautiful to speak, the sounds of the words, swedish is so musical when you see a swede talking, but for me brazilian portuguese don't have this melodical sound

Sigurðr;9591765 said:
hmmm, why hate? :p the portuguese from portugal is very strange for me but the brazilian is different

There's two reasons:
(1) I can't stand the accent (both from Brazil and Portugal)
(2) I really hate that the days are not based on planets/gods. How boring.

'Tis a matter of opinion, and I agree with Sigurðr. One time Niklas Sundin, from Dark Tranquillity, said that Swedish was the "language of the gods". I've to admit that I adore the sound of Swedish, but for me German will always be the most beautiful language in the world :) .

'Tis a matter of opinion, and I agree with Sigurðr. One time Niklas Sundin, from Dark Tranquillity, said that Swedish was the "language of the gods". I've to admit that I adore the sound of Swedish, but for me German will always be the most beautiful language in the world :) .

Gotta disagree with you there. I think German is the worst sounding language, and being in Germany would be great if it weren't for all the Germans there. The most beautiful language is Icelandic.

Gotta disagree with you there. I think German is the worst sounding language, and being in Germany would be great if it weren't for all the Germans there. The most beautiful language is Icelandic.

and the most difficult of all the Scandinavian languages, or so they say. I think i'm going to agree about the Icelandic and disagree about German. It's not so bad at all. There's certain beauty in it, but i can see why many people dislike it. As for worst sounding language, i would probably go for some of the Arabic group, although there might be some other terrible language i'm forgetting...

Sigurðr;9591839 said:
brazilian soaps are very famous around the world, but why do you think brazilian portuguese is unique? in particular i prefer swedish or norwegian..they are so beautiful to speak, the sounds of the words, swedish is so musical when you see a swede talking, but for me brazilian portuguese don't have this melodical sound
duh! i never said i prefer brazilian to any scandinavian language! :p I just like the sound of it. And i didn't say unique, i meant distinctive. I can recognize portugese any time without knowing a single word in portugese, just by the sound of it. But i have hard time distinguishing between slavic, or scandinavian languages.

the problem with german is the sound, its different, its a harsh sound..something like that, but swedish or norwegian are so musical, its music for my ears :p
duh! i never said i prefer brazilian to any scandinavian language! :p I just like the sound of it. And i didn't say unique, i meant distinctive. I can recognize portugese any time without knowing a single word in portugese, just by the sound of it. But i have hard time distinguishing between slavic, or scandinavian languages.
I know you didn't say that but it was just my opinion about my favorite language :) about the scandinavian languages, norwegian and swedish are very similar but for me swedish is more musical, but danish, gosh ..danish is so strange, the written danish is almost like norwegian although when a danish open his mouth looks like a drunk norwegian with a potatoe in the mouth :lol: no offenses i think danish is a great language too but it's very different in pronunciation from the other scandinavian languages...and with norwegian and swedish i prefer swedish but i like the written norwegian more than swedish...i have a bizarre affection with the letter ø that isn't in swedish alphabet, ö is so...boring :lol: ø is nicer!

i don't like portoguese too, sounds really awful .
is it so somilar to spanish defiance? i tought that spanish people could not undestand portoguese very well. i think italian and spanish are more similar than portogues and spanish, am i wrong????
german is a strong language, with a very hard sound. i started to like it when i studied it, becuase i started to understand words, grammatic, and stuff but before that, as a neophyte, i didn't like the sound. what i love of german is the compound words system, we don't have so much and so long compounded words in italian. at first it's very problematic, because you find very long words, but when you understand how to read them and to divide those words in simple words you start to enjoy the system.
but for me the most beautiful sounding tongues are the scandinavian ones. swedish above all. then icelandic and norvegian. dansih is simply too weird and liquid :lol:

Icelandic is quite beautiful, but I prefer Swedish and German over it.
German is the most beautiful for me because it's the only modern language that can have the same poetic characteristics (e.g. alliteration –the occurrence of the same letter or sound at the beginning of adjacent or closely connected words–) as Latin or Greek. Plus, I'm biased because of my Ohpa :p .

i don't like portoguese too, sounds really awful .
is it so somilar to spanish defiance? i tought that spanish people could not undestand portoguese very well. i think italian and spanish are more similar than portogues and spanish, am i wrong????
german is a strong language, with a very hard sound. i started to like it when i studied it, becuase i started to understand words, grammatic, and stuff but before that, as a neophyte, i didn't like the sound. what i love of german is the compound words system, we don't have so much and so long compounded words in italian. at first it's very problematic, because you find very long words, but when you understand how to read them and to divide those words in simple words you start to enjoy the system.
but for me the most beautiful sounding tongues are the scandinavian ones. swedish above all. then icelandic and norvegian. dansih is simply too weird and liquid :lol:

Elvina, I used to think exactly the same, and I still do: To my ears, Spanish and Italian sound very similar, and it only seems natural to me that it'd be easier, for a Spanish speaker, to understand Italian than Portuguese; however, I've been recently told by a number of people (some of them linguists that have studied Portuguese) that Spanish is more similar to Portuguese than to Italian. I can certainly understand Portuguese, but to my ears Italian is more similar (and nicer ;) ).

Indeed, to the "untrained"/not native ear, German usually sounds awful and harsh. It can be very harsh, but it can also be very beautiful and soft. As with any language, it all depends on the context. And no, Germans are not cold people, the English from London are cold people (my father *cof cof*).

Swedish is really beautiful, no question about it. From the moment I started studying it I absolutely fell in love with it, moving to 2nd place as my favourite language. After watching some Bergman, even more.

Icelandic is quite beautiful, but I prefer Swedish and German over it.
German is the most beautiful for me because it's the only modern language that can have the same poetic characteristics (e.g. alliteration –the occurrence of the same letter or sound at the beginning of adjacent or closely connected words–) as Latin or Greek. Plus, I'm biased because of my Ohpa :p .

wait....are you saying that only in german you can use allitteration?
this it not true. we have allitteration also in italian, and maybe in every other language.

Elvina, I used to think exactly the same, and I still do: To my ears, Spanish and Italian sound very similar, and it only seems natural to me that it'd be easier, for a Spanish speaker, to understand Italian than Portuguese; however, I've been recently told by a number of people (some of them linguists that have studied Portuguese) that Spanish is more similar to Portuguese than to Italian. I can certainly understand Portuguese, but to my ears Italian is more similar (and nicer ;) ).

Indeed, to the "untrained"/not native ear, German usually sounds awful and harsh. It can be very harsh, but it can also be very beautiful and soft. As with any language, it all depends on the context. And no, Germans are not cold people, the English from London are cold people (my father *cof cof*).

Swedish is really beautiful, no question about it. From the moment I started studying it I absolutely fell in love with it, moving to 2nd place as my favourite language. After watching some Bergman, even more.

ahah you continue to confuse the two of us. elvina and me. it's not the first time :lol: yeah i know we have a lot of things in common but....ahahah....it's funny! :p
the nice thing of german it that it's really easy to understand, i'm speaking of spoken language, words are well articulated (so this harshness helps in the end) and there are really few things you must learn about pronunciation.

wait....are you saying that only in german you can use allitteration?
this it not true. we have allitteration also in italian, and maybe in every other language.

ahah you continue to confuse the two of us. elvina and me. it's not the first time :lol: yeah i know we have a lot of things in common but....ahahah....it's funny! :p
the nice thing of german it that it's really easy to understand, i'm speaking of spoken language, words are well articulated (so this harshness helps in the end) and there are really few things you must learn about pronunciation.

Yeah my bad, sorry about the alliteration. I'll explain later.

:lol: wtf? Not the first time? Hahaha damn I should pay more attention to what I write hahahahaha :lol: .

German pronunciation is really easy; it's just a matter of practice (as with everything). The declinations, though, are another matter :p .

if you want a opinion about a half brazilian :p
Brazilian portuguese is a rich language, we have basically all the phonens in it, we have so much accents, like: ã , õ , à , á , ó , ò , ê , ô , ü , ç..etc so its easy to see the similarities with latin languages, i can understand spanish almost perfectly..i can see a spanish movie without subtitles and i can understand everything... sure that spanish have some weird words for portuguese and great part of the words aren't in the brazilian portuguese vocabulary but i can understand in the context, but with portuguese from portugal is different...it's like norwegian and dannish...i can read some texts in portuguese from portugal, in fact some movies i watch with these portuguese as subtitle but the spoken portuguese is VERY DIFFERENT...i cant understand a shit :lol: it´s so nasal, italian have a strong accent, i can understand good part of the words,but the spoken italian is difficult ..and french have some similarities too, for me who speaks brazilian portuguese the spanish is the closer language than the other 'romantic languages' i think its easier a brazilian understand a spanish than a spanish understand a brazilian, if who doesn't know spanish and portuguese i will put a phrase in the both languages and you could compare the similarities:
ENGLISH: I want to go home and buy a cold beer.
PORTUGUESE: Eu quero ir para casa e comprar uma cerveja gelada
SPANISH:Yo quiero ir a casa y comprar una cerveza fría

particularly i prefer brazilian portuguese than spanish but is all a matter of taste...in brazilian portuguese we have a single word to describe something like ' I miss you' there isn't a english word for that so the closest thing is 'I miss you'.
anyway i think i wrote too much :lol: hope this can help!

EDIT: I think i can make a parallel: Brazilian portuguese and spanish are like norwegian and swedish, both can understand each other , the spoken language is more similar than written language and portuguese from portugal is dannish :lol: you can read but you can't talk with them

Yeah my bad, sorry about the alliteration. I'll explain later.

:lol: wtf? Not the first time? Hahaha damn I should pay more attention to what I write hahahahaha :lol: .

German pronunciation is really easy; it's just a matter of practice (as with everything). The declinations, though, are another matter :p .

now i'm curios to know!!!! waiting for your explanation :p

yes not the first time, the second. but it's okey, don't worry!!!

now i'm curios to know!!!! waiting for your explanation :p

yes not the first time, the second. but it's okey, don't worry!!!

It's certainly biased because this was said by Wilhelm von Humboldt, but: "[…] In this the Greeks were blessed with the happiest fate that can befall a nation that wishes to rule through word and spirit, not power and action. Among modern languages only German seems to possess the advantage of being able to imitate that rhythm […]".

Haha that's weird, I guess I always confuse pretty girls :) .

Ya know, it's not that hard to learn. I haven't heard too many Metal Swedish bands that use their native tongue. I guess it all depends if you want to go global.

It's not hard for me because I know German, so it serves as a base for Swedish, since they share so many things. I should've gone the other way, German is much more difficult :p .

BTW, why do you have that link on your signature? Weird :p .

--

Back on topic, I'm really happy that Jordpuls is totally in Swedish. I listen to Sölens Rotter and can actually understand a lot of things!!!

EDIT: Jordp"L"us corrected! :p

i was searching for some swedish old ballads or some nature-related poetries easy to read, and i've found this "dikt" by rydberg, which sounds really really really vintersorgish... :)

NATTEN.
Tyst är lunden, och sjön, som kysst
strandens somnade ros, är tyst.
Aftonskimret, som milt besken
tempelkullen, har bleknat ren
stilla, drömmande, stilla.
Tysta stjärnor ur havet gå,
stilla palmernas kronor stå,
sen därunder i myrtenskog
vinden suckade nyss och dog
Trött najad har på mossig bädd
sjunkit ned vid sin urnas brädd,
sövd av sorlande källans sus:
barmen häves i månens ljus
stilla, drömmande, stilla,
medan hon ser i ljuvlig dröm
stelnad, kristallren, tidens ström
och all världen från ve och harm
somnad in på Allfaders arm

i was searching for some swedish old ballads or some nature-related poetries easy to read, and i've found this "dikt" by rydberg, which sounds really really really vintersorgish... :)

NATTEN.
Tyst är lunden, och sjön, som kysst
strandens somnade ros, är tyst.
Aftonskimret, som milt besken
tempelkullen, har bleknat ren
Tysta stjärnor ur havet gå,
stilla palmernas kronor stå,
sen därunder i myrtenskog
vinden suckade nyss och dog
Trött najad har på mossig bädd
sjunkit ned vid sin urnas brädd,
sövd av sorlande källans sus:
barmen häves i månens ljus
stilla, drömmande, stilla,
medan hon ser i ljuvlig dröm
stelnad, kristallren, tidens ström
och all världen från ve och harm
somnad in på Allfaders arm

It does have a Mr V feel to it! It's probably because Andreas writes poetry, and there's a "poetic standard" (just came up with that hee hee) in every language. Who's the author of this one?

I wanna learn Finnish, 'cause I've heard it's fucking impossible!

Yes!!! I sent a tweet to the bastards at Rosetta Stone asking them "WHY THE FUCK IS THERE NO SUOMALAINEN??" I mean, there's Swedish and even Welsh!

Total number of Welsh speakers: ca. 750,000
Total number of Finnish speakers: ca. 6 million

Need I say more?

Sigurðr;9650075 said:
^ Indeed :lol: It's like learning an alien language

NO!!!! Klingon is much easier than Finnish to be honest hahaha.