love at first sight

NeverIsForever said:
i've nothing original to add, really :/

i believe in lust at first sight, but not love.

Totally reasonable.

Kenneth R. said:
Romance exists for those who believe it does, and work to aid it.

Agreed. I would say the same for love. I mentioned this to speed in a PM last night, but much of the constructs we apply to our basic existence are extraneous to it, yet we apply them anyways. Love, I think, is such an example.

i dont believe in love at first sight either. i agree that it takes experiences, shared interests and friendship for love to build into 'proper' love. if you 'love' someone just from looking at them i believe its more likely to be an obsession with them, maybe the way you perceive them to be, and the way they look.

Neith said:
i dont believe in love at first sight either. i agree that it takes experiences, shared interests and friendship for love to build into 'proper' love. if you 'love' someone just from looking at them i believe its more likely to be an obsession with them, maybe the way you perceive them to be, and the way they look.

Exactly, you're only loving your idea of what and who they are.

Akirahito said:
Exactly, you're only loving your idea of what and who they are.

Yes. Although I do believe that sometimes our ideal idea of someone can sometimes turn out quite true, and upon getting to know this person a deep and meaningful love can materialise from shared interests and so on. But this still does not count as love at first sight i do not think, as it is more obsession turned to love.

Kenneth R. said:
Simply put: You cannot love at first sight.

your definition of love differs from the love defined by others. This is potent because no person beside yourself can know your love for you, this validates the subjective, and love is nothing if not the personal experience of infinity trapped/manifested in time. See what I'm sayin'?

Øjeblikket said:
your definition of love differs from the love defined by others. This is potent because no person beside yourself can know your love for you, this validates the subjective, and love is nothing if not the personal experience of infinity trapped/manifested in time. See what I'm sayin'?
Yep, love is diffrent for everybody

Love at first sight.....I'm not sure it exists. Certainly lust, but love? To generalize, there are those whom I've met that I've initially taken a fancy to, who gradually grate on my nerves and then the relationship evaporates. Others, have taken time to warm up to, and end up turning into very solid and practical relationships. But as was mentioned, love means something different to all of us. For me, it is independence and freedom. For others, it is the safety net of a close relationship. It's all relative.....neither of us is wrong in that regard.

Question: Can one 'Hate at first sight?'

The Winnipeg Warrior said:
Love at first sight.....I'm not sure it exists. Certainly lust, but love? To generalize, there are those whom I've met that I've initially taken a fancy to, who gradually grate on my nerves and then the relationship evaporates. Others, have taken time to warm up to, and end up turning into very solid and practical relationships. But as was mentioned, love means something different to all of us. For me, it is independence and freedom. For others, it is the safety net of a close relationship. It's all relative.....neither of us is wrong in that regard.

Polarised emotions rarely develop "at first sight" they take somewhat longer to develop.

The Winnipeg Warrior said:

I do dislike a great number of persons upon first sight.

Final_Product said:
Polarised emotions rarely develop "at first sight" they take somewhat longer to develop.

is not the polarised sensation indicative of the silliness you denigrate?

Then using the term "love" to generalise it, becomes quite silly.

Let me be straight, love is a sensation moreso than an adherence to the symbols, prescribed or not, attempting to retell the circumstances.

My point is this: If hate or any other fancy such as love is a slowly progressing polarity then is not any adventure there an irrefutable progression of circumstance?

you are essentially claiming love at first sight cannot occur because it is regulated by a relationship in the making which becomes silly through its in the making if its making is interveined upon by a person charmed. I'm not sure I'm buying it though.

consider that you're claiming what could be called progression, folly; you are also calling a systematic mode of experience privy to truth; you distrust the love felt by others in demand of your own.

Wonderfully observed, although...I'm not convinced you made any headway whatsoever. Infact you seem to have used intentionally verbose language that has not particuarly shed any light on anything I had considered.