love at first sight

Final_Product said:
I'm not convinced you made any headway whatsoever. Infact you seem to have used intentionally verbose language that has not particuarly shed any light on anything I had considered.

I wonder if your intentional baiting is/was not encouraged.

let me be clear, I'm not sure you're convinced of any consistency beyond argumentative polarititties unless you intend to ultimately support an existential dogmatism as favorable to that of an alleged abandonment of principal, I guess. But I'm not sure you're one for completing that series.

Øjeblikket said:
I wonder if your intentional baiting is/was not encouraged.

let me be clear, I'm not sure you're convinced of any consistency beyond argumentative polarititties unless you intend to ultimately support an existential dogmatism as favorable to that of an alleged abandonment of principal, I guess. But I'm not sure you're one for completing that series.

I'll, be honest...I have absolutley zero idea of what you are talking about. I vaguely see what concepts your meaning, but your english is confusing me

Also, please do not assume things about me, I've never taken kindly to it.

Black Core said:
do you people think it exists
I don't, how can you fall in love with someone you don't know
However I do think that you can fall in love for someones looks, but still you don't know her. So there can't be something more yet
What's your idea about it?

No. It's called lust.

Kenneth R. said:
My objection to that is, if it is immediate, what is there to love besides appearance? And if appearance it is, then that is simply a physical manifestation, a lust, not a "love". Desire or not, love consists of more than a physical relationship. This must be gained through experiences, which exist after the first meeting.

If it is not physical, but immediate, since you do not know this person at all, then your "love" is for all people with such appearance, and thus cannot be specific to any individual. Since it is not exclusive, again I discount this from being "love".

Simply put: You cannot love at first sight. It is easy to make the case for lust, but love is another matter.

I was going to state my views on the matter, however, you've already done so, so I'll just quote this post. Thanks.

Susperia said:
I guess it just goes to show you men aren't all that different from women ;)

The first time I saw my boyfriend was different from the first time I saw anyone else I was ever attracted to at first glance. I just stopped dead in my tracks and stared at him for minutes straight until my friend forced me to move on. I don't know if it was love at first sight, but it was something strange...
pheromeones

This is partly semantics... We have just one word "love" but we use it for so many different feelings and acts.

There is something that could described as deep unexplainable attraction with someone else that has no rational explanation. It is not the same as just sexual attraction, even if hormonal reaction is there too. I have had few such cases during my life, and in 90% there was a relationship after that, and even if it was short, or unhappy one, it was important, emotionally deep and demanding and there was something valuable to get from it.
This event is ridiculed in popular culture as something romantic and mindless, but it is not, I can more describe it as a simultanous feeling of longing and at the same time resoulution as something so familiar once lost was found again.
On psychological level, there are parts of our personality we cannot express, or they are simply our Animus-Anima, and some person can have a big part of it as their personality. So it makes as instinctively recognise that on other person. Love as it comes is in fact recognising parts of ourselves in other person and finding resoultion because of it. It can be heaven and hell in some cases because our supressed parts of personality do not have to be pretty or "good" od pleasent from subjective point of view. So those kinds of attraction can sometimes have even disastrous results instead of harmony.

Thoth-Amon said:
Black Core said:
do you people think it exists
I don't, how can you fall in love with someone you don't know
However I do think that you can fall in love for someones looks, but still you don't know her. So there can't be something more yet
What's your idea about it?
No. It's called lust.
I'm actually suffering from that right now. This kind of Lust is, in my case at least, one of the worst pains a person can feel.

Dushan S said:
This is partly semantics... We have just one word "love" but we use it for so many different feelings and acts.

There is something that could described as deep unexplainable attraction with someone else that has no rational explanation. It is not the same as just sexual attraction, even if hormonal reaction is there too. I have had few such cases during my life, and in 90% there was a relationship after that, and even if it was short, or unhappy one, it was important, emotionally deep and demanding and there was something valuable to get from it.
This event is ridiculed in popular culture as something romantic and mindless, but it is not, I can more describe it as a simultanous feeling of longing and at the same time resoulution as something so familiar once lost was found again.
On psychological level, there are parts of our personality we cannot express, or they are simply our Animus-Anima, and some person can have a big part of it as their personality. So it makes as instinctively recognise that on other person. Love as it comes is in fact recognising parts of ourselves in other person and finding resoultion because of it. It can be heaven and hell in some cases because our supressed parts of personality do not have to be pretty or "good" od pleasent from subjective point of view. So those kinds of attraction can sometimes have even disastrous results instead of harmony.

I find the points highlighted here to be rather intriguing. Do you have anything further that you can add to this? Perhaps the source of this information? Or is this purely from your own personal experience?

Anything else is simply lust. Some people have a hard time accepting the fact that they lust for a person, so they justify themselves by calling it love, even though it's really a blind lust for a person whom they know nothing about. But what about when they do know so much about a person, yet don't actually speak to them? That's when Lust becomes confusion.

Ptah Khnemu said:
Anything else is simply lust. Some people have a hard time accepting the fact that they lust for a person, so they justify themselves by calling it love, even though it's really a blind lust for a person whom they know nothing about. But what about when they do know so much about a person, yet don't actually speak to them? That's when Lust becomes confusion.

I on the other hand have no problem in admitting blind lust!