Megadeth

So did I. They did the modern rock thing a lot better than Metallica. Except for Risk. Mustaine's getting a copy of that album up the ass every day for eternity in Hell for profaning the ears of the public.

Yes, many good albums. But only one classic. KIMB is great, and I quite like their "worse" efforts like CW but they're not a classic band in musical terms.

Probably the weakest overall of the Big Four–they took a bigger plunge than Slayer or Anthrax, and their pre-suck material just isn't as well written as Metallica's. Dave was so obsessed with trying to outplay Kirk Hammett that he forgot about outwriting Ulrich & Hetfield, and ended up with a lot of incredibly virtuosic but poorly written songs. Peace Sells is full of those, exercises in ludicrous jazz-thrash wankery lacking coherence. Rust In Peace is a fucking legendary album for good reason, and Killing Is My Business is really damn good, and I actually consider So Far...etc. underrated. But everything after the decent Youthanasia is an utter failure, and if you're only going to produce five worthwhile albums, then you'd better be Metal Fucking Church.

PS Mustaine is a cocktard.

No he didn't. Megadeth never started sucking, I don't give a fuck what you say, Risk is there only bad album, Youthanasia, Cryptic Writings, and Countdown to Extinction are a lot less heavy, but still good albums. Peace Sells is decent, the only thing lacking coherence is you trying to pass off your opinion as the last word in the Megadeth discussion, and trying to write off one of my favorite bands, you are a cocksucker.

I like how that's all only two sentences. Especially the "the only thing lacking coherance is you trying to pass off your opinion as the last word in the Megadeth discussion..." part, and then ending with "you are a cocksucker."

I'll trade you two periods and a semicolon for four commas. You're hogging all the commas.

And I like that you use "one of my favorite bands" as some kind of trenchant, insightful point in favor of their quality. Verily, you are the Aristotle of UM. The Vizzini of UM. Touché, good sir.

I agree with blackmetaldood, I like all their stuff cept. risk. Now given the old shit is better, they are in no way the weakest link in the big 4. If any one is, its slayer, they don't possess the musicianship of the other 3.

MetalHeadMarc said:
I agree with blackmetaldood, I like all their stuff cept. risk. Now given the old shit is better, they are in no way the weakest link in the big 4. If any one is, its slayer, they don't possess the musicianship of the other 3.

The funniest thing is that you said this AFTER his argument got owned by Pyrus and Dodens.

If anyone is the weak link in the big 4, it's Anthrax. They were never anything more than ordinary, and their albums are horribly inconsistent.

I thought that too, and then I bought Persistence of Time, which is just...incredible. One of the best thrash albums ever, easily on a level with Rust In Peace. And their suck-era material is honestly the least offensive of any of the Big Four, with some actual really good tunes like "Only," "Fueled" and "What Doesn't Die" thrown in there and nothing on the level of Risk or Load. Plus Spreading the Disease is really badass, and Fistful of Metal is pretty good too. Among the Living is horribly inconsistent–half great tunes, half utterly forgettable–and State of Euphoria is completely disposable aside from "Be All, End All." But like I said, Persistence>most albums and totally redeems Anthrax.

I've never understood how Anthrax got on that "Big Four" list in the first place. Sure, they've released some decent albums, and one great one (Persistence of Time), but in my opinion, they don't hold a candle next to, say, Exodus. Anthrax is just devoid of aggressiveness, which is a pretty important trait in thrash metal.

As for Megadeth. I like them in theory, but, for some reason, I hardly ever listen to them. "Psychotron" is a pretty badass song, though... :cool:

Anthrax was there. They were filling up the arenas even as Poision and Whitesnake were ruling the airwaves. They pioneered the true infusion of NY-hardcore into the thrash template, and they were the humorous pranksters to offset the more serious bent that Slayer and Metallica were attempting.

Like Pyrus said, they're inconsistent, but always at least decent. I personally love Among the Living, but Persistence of Time is fucking nuts. And Anthrax's forays into hip-hop were also frighteningly good. "I'm the Man" being hilarious and "Bring Da Noise" revolutionary.

Weakest link? Yeah. Fucking awesome? Hell yeah.

As far as I'm concerned, none of the "Big Four" haven't released anything decent since Countdown to Extinction. All of it has been worthless since and there is no need to differentiate bad from fucking bad. But Anthrax is the weakest link, by a mile.

Slayer > Megadeth > Metallica >>>>>>>> Anthrax

Show No Mercy > Rust In Peace > Ride The Lightning >>>>> Persistence of Time

and the list could go on in the same order, for all four of each of the bands first/(best in the case of Anthrax) 5 albums