Metal albums you like that everyone seems to hate or ignore

Naggamanteh said:
I understand some people can't stand incessant blasting. In much the same way, I don't like the infamous Scandinavian melodic death metal.

By the old NYDM you probably mean the likes of Suffocation or Pyrexia. I have respect for those bands but the music didn't stop developing one decade ago. I don't think think the likes of Internal Suffering, Soils of Fate, Pyaemia, Stabwound, Disavowed, and many other are inferior to their predecessors. More importantly (for me), a parallel scene evolved throughout the years in Texas and other states resulting in bands like Saprogenic, Prophecy, Brodequin, Sect of Execration, Waco Jesus, Cinerary, Digorge (Californian), and many other. The vocals you seem to dislike so much are one of the things I like about those bands; either guttural or sick and inhale-ish, they are used as an "instrument" of its own rather than singing that should bear a message. The vocalist on Brodequin sounds like a wind and it is not secret that many of the BDM vocalist use effects to distort the vocals.That is perfectly ok with me, I am not too fond of lyrics and/or death metal screams and growls.

As for the slam riffs, only certain BDM bands use them. I for one could well live without them (the reason I love Devourment is the insane drumming). I believe the bands use them to make the music less monotonous. However, there are other ways around that, the band Wormed being one example.

Oh yeah, I like some ambient too, we have that in common.

I don't like gothenburg shit either.

I think that the current crop of BDM bands have taken NYDM and made it extreme to the extent of self-parody. I find these groups to be atonal rackets. Slam riffs are used to superimpose groove onto albums lacking thoughtful songwriting. Deep vocals are fine, burps are not. If every syllable sounds identical to the one that proceeded it, I have a problem. I'm still trying to figure out why 99% of brutal death is necessary when the Immolation catalogue is still readily available.

Without variation, death metal gets boring fast. There are probably 5 bands ever who were able to effectively use blastbeats.

Waco Jesus combines some of the most inane lyrics ever with pseudo-music. Like most BDM bands, they've buried the guitars under the generic drums and vocals. It's just a fucking bunch of noise. Maybe the worst band ever.

andrew_plamondon said:
I think Elements is a great album. Yes, the production does suck, yes, the album is not Unquestionable Presence Part 2, but I think that the point for a band is to move on and make new things, and Atheist did succeed to do that.
Atheist was an inovative band, they always were, and I hope that they will be if they put out something new.

Elements was Atheist's descent into irrelevance. It suffers from the randomness and wankery inherent to jazz since it is basically a jazz album with metal elements superficially tacked on.

Demiurge said:
Waco Jesus combines some of the most inane lyrics ever with pseudo-music. Like most BDM bands, they've buried the guitars under the generic drums and vocals. It's just a fucking bunch of noise. Maybe the worst band ever.
You know your stuff. Waco Jesus are the weakest, slowest, least-talented of the Texan bands I mentioned and their album covers are redundant. However, the band's name crossed my mind when I was writing the list because they are coming to my country in March and they will play a concert together with Sanatorium and some other bands. No matter how bad they are, I will not miss them out. Nice of them to travel so far and actually NOT leave my country (Slovakia) out of the tour's plan. We had Malignancy and Dying Fetus last year, so this is gonna be yet another climax.
:dopey: :D :cool:

Demiurge said:
Elements was Atheist's descent into irrelevance. It suffers from the randomness and wankery inherent to jazz since it is basically a jazz album with metal elements superficially tacked on.
Well, what could they do ?
They wrote and recorder the album in 40 days, Steve Flynn wasn't there anymore, Roger Patterson neither, and they did this album to get rid of their contract. I think it's an awesome album considering they haven't put much effort. It is only more jazz oriented than the other album, but the other ones were clearly jazz influenced also. The drum was much more jazzy on the other ones for instance, on Elements it was more latino influenced as the drum and bass were practically doing this together.
Anyway, I like jazz so it might influence my choice. I don't even know how you can't listen to Atheist if you hate jazz that much :err:

andrew_plamondon said:
Well, what could they do ?
They wrote and recorder the album in 40 days, Steve Flynn wasn't there anymore, Roger Patterson neither, and they did this album to get rid of their contract. I think it's an awesome album considering they haven't put much effort. It is only more jazz oriented than the other album, but the other ones were clearly jazz influenced also. The drum was much more jazzy on the other ones for instance, on Elements it was more latino influenced as the drum and bass were practically doing this together.
Anyway, I like jazz so it might influence my choice. I don't even know how you can't listen to Atheist if you hate jazz that much :err:

Atheist's earlier works were intrinsically neoclassical death metal albums utilizing some jazz-like chord progressions. They were metal at heart. Elements is as I described it above; meandering, fragmented, and masturbatory.

In No Order:

Wicked Innocence - Omnipotence,Worship
Cephalic Carnage - Conforming To Abnormality,Exploiting Dysfunction. They have lots of good hype but I do still feel they are very underrated regardless of the infleunces they have taken from Wicked Innocence and Skeleton of God. One if the the most extreme bands going with keeping very good musicianship and intresting song writing and ideas
Lethargy - It's Hard To Write With A Little Hand
Brutality - Screams of Anguish( one of the best early DM albums ever)
Demilich - Nespithe
311 - Grassroots
Cryptopsy - And Then You'll Beg
Disincarnate - Dreams of the Carrion Kind ( can't wait for the second one)
Human Remains - Using Sickness As A Hero
Acid Bath - When The Kite String Pops
Martyr - Warp Zone
Suffocation - Pierced From Within (will never get enough credit)
Suffocation - Breeding The Spawn(people usually dont get past the shit production)
Mortal Decay - Forensic
Biohazard - State of The World Address (Bobby's lead guitaring is great on this disk)

Etc..... there is so many and I know I forgot some very good ones.

In Flames - Reroute To Remain
Soilwork - Natural Born Chaos

i love both of those albums and probably listen to them the most. i've got all the albums from both bands too.

Demiurge said:
Atheist's earlier works were intrinsically neoclassical death metal albums utilizing some jazz-like chord progressions. They were metal at heart. Elements is as I described it above; meandering, fragmented, and masturbatory.
If you'd ask me, I'd say you hate it because it's influenced by black people's music :Smug: Anyways, you don't understand jazz and I then see why you hate Elements.

And I like Lethargy - It's Hard To Write With A Little Hand by the way, am I insane ? I mean, I think the demos where a bit better, but it sure isn't bad !!

Martyr - Warp Zone (this is a great album but not many people know about it outside Québec)

Quo Vadis - Day Into Night (same as martyr...:) )

Enthroned - Carnage In Worlds Beyond (never saw anyone here talk about...but I don't read everything in here ;) )

andrew_plamondon said:
If you'd ask me, I'd say you hate it because it's influenced by black people's music :Smug: Anyways, you don't understand jazz and I then see why you hate Elements.

And I like Lethargy - It's Hard To Write With A Little Hand by the way, am I insane ? I mean, I think the demos where a bit better, but it sure isn't bad !!

Your argument is now rooted in erroneous assumptions and general mendacious behavior. I'll not dignify it by expounding further.

I understand "Elements" fine, I'm just not amused or interested by it. I'm not fond of needless wankery or meandering composition, even if the players do possess instrumental prowess.

No one has ever won an argument in which they said "you just don't understand it" or something to that effect.

Demiurge said:
Your argument is now rooted in erroneous assumptions and general mendacious behavior. I'll not dignify it by expounding further.

I understand "Elements" fine, I'm just not amused or interested by it. I'm not fond of needless wankery or meandering composition, even if the players do possess instrumental prowess.

No one has ever won an argument in which they said "you just don't understand it" or something to that effect.
Well, you seem to think that jazz is totally random. Maybe you should check out Jaco Pastorius, he might help you discover jazz in its whole dimension.
This guy was doing jazz, crazy things that might sounds random when we hear it at first, but this guy was totally into techniques, he wrote his songs before even trying to play them, he even re-learned to play bass with good techniques because he thought that playing bass as an autodidact wasn't the good way to do things.
He even played a Mozart song, which is called Chromatic Fantasy. Then again, if you think someone who succeeds to play such a song is a wanker, then you're right, Elements is boring.

Blut Aus Nord - Memoria Vertusta
Blut Aus Nord - The Work Which Transforms God
Deathspell Omega - Inquisitors of Satan
Gontyna Kry - Welowie
Funeral Mist - Salvation
Kult Ov Azazel - Oculus Infernum
Moonblood - Blut Und Krieg
Nokturnal Mortum-To The Gates Of Blasphemous Fire
Unanimated - Ancient God Of Evil

andrew_plamondon said:
Well, you seem to think that jazz is totally random. Maybe you should check out Jaco Pastorius, he might help you discover jazz in its whole dimension.
This guy was doing jazz, crazy things that might sounds random when we hear it at first, but this guy was totally into techniques, he wrote his songs before even trying to play them, he even re-learned to play bass with good techniques because he thought that playing bass as an autodidact wasn't the good way to do things.
He even played a Mozart song, which is called Chromatic Fantasy. Then again, if you think someone who succeeds to play such a song is a wanker, then you're right, Elements is boring.

I didn't say that it was totally random. I said that it was highly prone to instrumental masturbation and improvisational, meandering songwriting. Again, you're distorting my position mendaciously to make it appear absurdly extreme. Keep this up, and I'll ignore you.

So far, I've heard countless jazz albums and have listened extensively. None intrigued me in the least.

If you're playing Mozart, it logically follows that you're not playing jazz. Apparently, you're trying to convince me that jazz musicians are capable of playing difficult music. Unfortunately, you're preaching to the choir. Jazz is inherently difficult to play and its players are technically very capable with their instruments. The two most difficult forms to render are jazz and art music. I tend not to judge music by how challenging it is to play though.

Anything by Macabre. :(

I don't think I've ever read anyone talking about Macabre ever unless I posted about them previously. :/