Metal to impress the music Phd

I second Obscura, Crimson Massacre and The Red in the Sky is Ours. Something like Sacramentum (FAFTS era) or Demilich would be good choices as well.

I would avoid anything outwardly 'wanky' and try to show him something that combines technical skill, excellent composition and great melodic sensibility.

Edit: To counter MasterOLightning's argument, if the guy has a PhD in music he damn well better be able to grasp melodic and compositional aspects faster than an 'average listener of music'.

I second Obscura, Crimson Massacre and The Red in the Sky is Ours. Something like Sacramentum (FAFTS era) or Demilich would be good choices as well.

I would avoid anything outwardly 'wanky' and try to show him something that combines technical skill, excellent composition and great melodic sensibility.

Edit: To counter MasterOLightning's argument, if the guy has a PhD in music he damn well better be able to grasp melodic and compositional aspects faster than an 'average listener of music'.

Sacramentum and Demilich are way too cyclical to really impress someone of that background as far as guitar playing...

I'm going to second Gorguts, Necrophagist, Death, and Emperor

Necrophagist for sure. (any techdeath pretty much works)
I think you should check out these songs by them first though(although i strongly advise just listening to full albums, Epitaph and Onset of Putrifaction that way you can choose which song has the most interesting song structure/solo/time change whatever:
Only Ash Remains
Fermented Offal Discharge(I'm sure your professor will love the names)
Epitaph

How about Deathspell Omega for a curve ball or Peste Noire.

On a more serious note though, Emperor or jesu. ISIS is also good.

I think certain songs off the Sound of Perservence would work. The problem is there are lots are amazing passages (technically) but they're scattered in between some simple stuff (which is great, but you want to impress.)

I think Necrophagist is too wanky... don't go with the phag

DON'T SAY STUPID THINGS

You all TOTALLY misunderstood me. I know what TSOP means. What I was saying is I don't know what that little "laughing face" meant. He wasn't quoting anyone. One could only assume he was mocking the mention of TSOP, but I hate to assume stupid shit. He might have just been laughing at the premise of the thread. I don't even like the album too awful much myself as I enjoy Death's mid-period best by far.

CHILL

Sacramentum and Demilich are way too cyclical to really impress someone of that background as far as guitar playing...

Again, this should not just be about guitar playing technique (I realize that is his field of expertise). Rather, it should include the compositional depth and melodic sensibility in addition to just pure technique. If he is too shallow to look at anything beyond straight up technique and not the images that the riffs and arrangements evoke than I have no idea how the guy got a PhD in music.

Strapping Young Lad. Nice and technical with some wicked melodies.

(Bonus points if you manage to do anything with Satan's Ice Cream Truck!)

Again, this should not just be about guitar playing technique (I realize that is his field of expertise). Rather, it should include the compositional depth and melodic sensibility in addition to just pure technique. If he is too shallow to look at anything beyond straight up technique and not the images that the riffs and arrangements evoke than I have no idea how the guy got a PhD in music.

Case in point he should go for something very technical, yet a mixture of good technique from the instrumentalists & good songwriting.

I don't believe no one has mentioned "The Faceless" yet :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: I thought they might have been a bit more popular. Go for the song 'All Dark Graves' which is the first that comes to mind, but the whole album doesn't have a weak track on it.

Best rec yet IMO, yet I haven't heard everything that's being recommended. I know it has to be really metally so there you go.