Metal to impress the music Phd

The interesting thing about Prometheus is that it adds some vaguely classical elements to a pretty standard extreme metal base. You'd perhaps be better off showing an album that shows metal doing its own thing, going in a new direction (such as some of the more obscure and ambitious tech death mentioned) rather than something immediately comparable to a form of music that the PhD is likely familiar with already. I think you want a reaction more along the lines of "this is interesting and new to me" than "this sounds like classical dumbed down enough to integrate into metal."

The interesting thing about Prometheus is that it adds some vaguely classical elements to a pretty standard extreme metal base. You'd perhaps be better off showing an album that shows metal doing its own thing, going in a new direction (such as some of the more obscure and ambitious tech death mentioned) rather than something immediately comparable to a form of music that the PhD is likely familiar with already. I think you want a reaction more along the lines of "this is interesting and new to me" than "this sounds like classical dumbed down enough to integrate into metal."

Hmm, I've only heard one song off of that album, The Tongue of Fire, which is what I mentioned. I haven't listened to it in a while, but it didn't sound to me like it was trying to actually be classical. I mean, I didn't even recommend it because I thought it was classical-like. I just think a music professor would be more impressed by the progressive sides of metal rather than something that's just brutal and heavy.

I'm not saying it's trying to be classical either, just that one could see it as being an album with some symphonic hooks that give it the illusion of being more advanced than it actually is.

I figured I'd post this here, as a seperate thread would be gay. I have to write a paper on a prominent musician for music appreciation. I'd like it to be a metal one, obviously. Here are my current selections:

Michael Romeo
Varg Vikernes
Quorthon
John Petrucci
Jimmy Page
Ian Anderson

Shitty list, I know. Got any suggestions for me?

Mathiäs;6693096 said:
I figured I'd post this here, as a seperate thread would be gay. I have to write a paper on a prominent musician for music appreciation. I'd like it to be a metal one, obviously. Here are my current selections:

Michael Romeo
Varg Vikernes
Quorthon
John Petrucci
Jimmy Page
Ian Anderson

Shitty list, I know. Got any suggestions for me?

Of that list I would go with Petrucci, but that's because it's easy to find all kinds of info about him on the internets.

Jimmy Page would be 2nd... but he's not metal...

Shit, Nevermore's definitely not the worst thing I've heard.

nor are you the worst poster i've ever come across however that does not mean that i dont want to put you in front of a firing squad and scream at the top of my voice SHOOT THAT FUCKER DOWN and look on as you spend your last blood-bubbling breaths voicing your insignificant and frankly incorrect opinions about metal the universe and everything until eventually your words become entirely senseless babbling cut off by a silence so relieving it inspires in me a celebratory urination on your miserable excuse for a corpse and so i reiterate; lol nevermore

nor are you the worst poster i've ever come across however that does not mean that i dont want to put you in front of a firing squad and scream at the top of my voice SHOOT THAT FUCKER DOWN and look on as you spend your last blood-bubbling breaths voicing your insignificant and frankly incorrect opinions about metal the universe and everything until eventually your words become entirely senseless babbling cut off by a silence so relieving it inspires in me a celebratory urination on your miserable excuse for a corpse and so i reiterate; lol nevermore

:kickass: