Metal to impress the music Phd

Why don't you like them? I think they're one of the better Tech Death bands out there.

I concur, they're still one of the very few bands that incorporate a heavy -core influence that have managed to impress me.

To the OP: I find it hard to believe that someone with a Phd has the belief that metal has no substance, because anyone that has even a minor knowledge of music would realize that it does, regardless if they enjoy the music or not. Anyways, I would bring him some "Prometheus" era Emperor, Lykathea Aflame, and Spawn Of Possession if you wanted to show him what it takes to play, and compose good metal.

I'd put the following songs on a cd:

Orion
A Fair Judgement
A Question of Heaven
Learning to Live
Master of Puppets
Prediction of Warfare (Amon Amarth)
A Moment of Clarity
The Night and the Silent Water
Holy Wars... The Punishment Due
Angel of Death
Beyond Me (After Forever)
Funeral (Devin Townsend)

If it had to be one song, I'd pick Orion. I know it's cool as hell to hate Metallica, but that song really shows how beautiful metal can be.

I concur, they're still one of the very few bands that incorporate a heavy -core influence that have managed to impress me.

I don't find their music to be very Core-Driven at all, if anything. They have a splash of their own flavor. Sure, the album has 2-3 guitar harmonies, but it doesn't mean that they're not heavy. The tunes are also pretty memorable, unlike a lot of Core shit.

Well, Arch Enemy isn't the most terrible idea, but anything post-Wages of Sin should definitely not under any circumstances be considered for what the OP needs.

I also second the Prometheus-era Emperor mention, The Tongue of Fire is an amazing song. In fact, just play him that.

Everybody is recommending technical death metal. But i dunno if those academic music people will be that impressed by technicality.
Probably it is right to include some of that but i would also put some black metal onto the sampler, something from Transsilvanian Hunger for example, which is all about melody and atmosphere and has nothing to do with rock music either.

Probably it is right to include some of that but i would also put some black metal onto the sampler, something from Transsilvanian Hunger for example, which is all about melody and atmosphere and has nothing to do with rock music either.

I don't know dude... Black Metal of that caliber is hard even for metal heads to get into at first. I suggest something like Symphony X, but buddy sounds like he wanted something really heavy. How did it go BTW?? I'm sure you've already showed him something.

I don't know dude... Black Metal of that caliber is hard even for metal heads to get into at first. I suggest something like Symphony X, but buddy sounds like he wanted something really heavy. How did it go BTW?? I'm sure you've already showed him something.

I think it is hard for metalheads because they expect something more like rock music, and not the monotonous anti-popular "guitar-ambient" music that Transsilvanian Hunger is.
But for somebody who comes from classical music this distiction and separation from pop music might just be the needed thing to take metal serious.
I still would not make up the whole collection with that kind of stuff - just include it along with the techdeath..

play him Consuming Impulse and if he doesn't get it, take the CD case and beat him over the head repeatedly until he does.

I honestly think that Blind Guardian's early material, particularly Tales..., Somewhere Far Beyond, and Imaginations... are a good selection, because they combine high-end technical ability with unique and compelling songwriting. It's a good combination of all things that make songs GOOD, not just hard-to-play.