Miscellaneous beer thread

I'm waiting for St George's day to have a drink. Yeah. Actually no, I'm gonna have a drink now.

I tried a VB Original Ale earlier on, and it was actually alright.

Winmar said:
Dan Murphy's rocks. Unfortunately, these days it is owned by Woolworths. Coles Myer are buying and expanding another similar chain, the name of which escapes me at the moment.

That's First Choice (or 1st Choice Liquor Superstore). There's a few in VIC and QLD - and I think one in SA, WA & NSW each. I think most of them are converted Liquorland stores (or the big barn-style ones in QLD).

The only way they're competing at the moment is price wars. Dan Murphy's still have the saturation and they've moved over to New Zealand and I think there is plans to goto WA either this year or the next.

Overall it's great for us "consumers" - I mean we'll never get grog for wholesale let alone cost price, but it's always good for a bit of a saving. The only people who will get a bit (more) sour is the independent trade - but yeah, chains are shitting all over them in all industries these days.

Yeah same here!

Hey it's Stonewall Jackson! I tried said Little Creatures beer with a red label the other day, and it was indeed very nice. I'll be buying that one again...

Kem said:
Winmar if you are anywhere near a Belgian Beer Cafe (am fairly certain there is at least one in Melbourne), I suggest going there.

I finally went to one the other night. There are two that I'm aware of in Melbourne - one down St Kilda Rd, the other on Southbank (where I went). Not exactly the cheapest place to drink, but my god Belgian beer rules. If I was loaded I'd go there all the time. :headbang:

Jeepers! I got mine at Dan Murphy's. Think it was maybe $3. Looks like I won't be trying it when I'm out!

I was paying $8 for Hoegarden stubbies last night at Station Pier too.. :(

I think it's time for you to drink cheapier (although shittier) beer when you're out, and save drinking the good stuff for at home, Sydo!

James Squire beer is awesome. Love it. Had a pint of it a while back after a pint of Kilkenny, and it kicked Kilkenny's arse.

I'm drinking Cascade Blonde now. Not bad, not bad. Actually it's pretty good, if a bit pricey.