Miscellaneous beer thread

For some reason I'm not a massive fan of amber ales. They seem to have something missing. Don't mind them, but prefer other types. I prefer James Squire's pilsener or golden ale.

Ever had Singha, Winny? That's not bad - they sell it here in some shops, but I've only ever had it in the Thai restaurant we go to every few months.

Yeah I've had that a reasonable amount when in Thailand. It's pretty good. I've had more Chang though, because it's a bit cheaper and I still like it. Plus these days they sponsor Everton FC! :)

Had a Leffe Brune last night, a 'dark Abbey-style beer'. Not really to my taste, I prefer lighter stuff, but it might be up some of y'all's streets.

This weekend I found a bottlo which sells VB Original Ale. Although I agree VB is generally on the more questionable end of the beer spectrum, the "Original Ale" line is nigh on one of the best beers to ever come out of Australia in my humble and untraveled opinion. What I don't get is how the one company can get one beer so right yet still put the bulk of their eggs in such a comparitively dismal basket.

Good question. I don't get it either.

Last night I went out for $3.50 pints of Boag's Draught and Bulmer's Cider. Nice one.

Yeah it's ok for a bit, but you couldn't drink it all evening!

It was at Pugg Mahones in the city. Mondays are good value there, probably explaining why it was packed.

Never tried VBs original ale. Will have to seek it out sometime. I drank a Carlton Draught at lunch but I'm hanging to get home and crack open a Premium Boag :)

I haven't read through all the other pages of this yet so I dont know what's been mentioned yet but the best value beer on the market now in Australia is Oettinger from Germany. A really nice (and very German) tasting Pils... Actually one of my favourite beers regardless of the price, but Safeway/Woolworths have been selling it from between $26-31 all year long!!

Heineken is a real favourite of mine altogether, but another Dutch beer that is even better is Dommelsch, that's unreal!!!

And I had one in Italy when I was there but can't remember the name, started with P but wasn't Peroni obviously, which was quite possibly the smoothest, easiest to drink beer I have ever had!

Another really nice one is Coors Light from USA... The name is misleading a bit because it's not a light beer (still about 4.2% or something which is pretty standard full strength % in USA), it's just light in carbs or whatever, not alcohol.

Might have to try the Coors Light, I always pass it by at the bottle-o because of the "light" in the name thinking its light on alcohol.

Tried Kilkenny the other day.... meh. Not my thing. On another note does anyone brew their own beer?

Damnit I want a tap system at home!