MJR's opinion about nu-metal

i think the main reason that coheed are labelled a prog band is because they have many progressive features in their music, which you might not recognise by just hearing one song, but basically all their albums cover one giant story line, it has recurring themes etc and although its not prog in the 58/27 time signature sense of the word, i'm pretty sure it still qualifies as prog

Rhapsody and Bal Sagoth do this. Neither are prog.

Epic fail.

odd time signatures are a common feature in progressive music, from yes to dream theater.

note this quote for the DT thread. :lol:

note how progressive starts with 'yes' and ends with 'dream theater'. what happened after that? oh right, it continued but broke away from the stereotype, or why don't we say, it further progressed

That's the whole point of progressive music. Falling into the trap of assuming that, just because you change up time signatures means you are progressive... well, let me just say this.

Prog = Genre
Progressive = art form.

In fact, i'd be inclined to argue that bands who are pushing musical boundaries and doing things that have rarely been done before in this musical form... Folk metal bands like Eluveitie, Tyr, and bands like Agalloch who borrow a lot from the black metal scene... these bands are more progressive than a band like circus maximus.

That is the whole contradiction in the prog genre. Prog bands have to fit a formula to sound prog. The very quote of "odd time signatures are a common feature in progressive music"... the terms "progressive music" and "common feature" simply cannot be used together because then it is no longer progressive, forward thinking music. If you want something truly progressive, pushing the boundaries, check out The End Records. They have many bands that are trying new things, most of them are NOT my cup of tea, but they are few of the truly progressive bands left on that label.

This is why i don't like prog or prog metal. These bands all sound so damned similar because they are "trying" to be prog, which means they are trying to fit the prog mold. It's a hypocrisy. This genre is no different than death or black metal, but these genres aren't lying to themselves or anyone else. Death metal doesn't state that it's trying to re-invent the wheel.

</rant>

ah, and before my comments are taken out of context, the folk metal genre HAS BEEN DONE BEFORE and i realize this, but bands are taking it further and further adding more uncommon instruments. Also, bands like Haggard could also be mentioned. Again, not prog metal, but progressive applies IMO.

LOL...this thread has been going since 2003 and it is still around...geeze...

oh, and yes, this is my first post in probably like a year...just getting annoyed that there seem to be fewer and fewer updates about Paradise Lost, and you can't say anything because complaining about an album supposedly launching in March or April that has not seen any news about it since December...with no release date...complaining about that is supposedly "bad"...

That's the whole point of progressive music. Falling into the trap of assuming that, just because you change up time signatures means you are progressive... well, let me just say this.

Prog = Genre
Progressive = art form.

In fact, i'd be inclined to argue that bands who are pushing musical boundaries and doing things that have rarely been done before in this musical form... Folk metal bands like Eluveitie, Tyr, and bands like Agalloch who borrow a lot from the black metal scene... these bands are more progressive than a band like circus maximus.

That is the whole contradiction in the prog genre. Prog bands have to fit a formula to sound prog. The very quote of "odd time signatures are a common feature in progressive music"... the terms "progressive music" and "common feature" simply cannot be used together because then it is no longer progressive, forward thinking music. If you want something truly progressive, pushing the boundaries, check out The End Records. They have many bands that are trying new things, most of them are NOT my cup of tea, but they are few of the truly progressive bands left on that label.

This is why i don't like prog or prog metal. These bands all sound so damned similar because they are "trying" to be prog, which means they are trying to fit the prog mold. It's a hypocrisy. This genre is no different than death or black metal, but these genres aren't lying to themselves or anyone else. Death metal doesn't state that it's trying to re-invent the wheel.

</rant>

i take the term "progressive" to be a reference to the music itself, and the way it is shaped and develops, as oppose to the way you see it, it appears that your take on the term progressive is that it applies to the bands approach to creating music, which is an entirely different thing. however the progressiveness you speak of sounds like shit to me, that sort of progressiveness leads to cheap gimmicks like someone sitting in front of a piano for 3:42 and doing nothing, and that is allegedly music, and allegedly progressive, because hes doing something new with music, and snobs all round the world kiss his ass and call him a genius. That sort of progressive leads to me having to sit through recitals of people playing in no key or time signature, with "alternative harmony" and that is 'progressive'. i call it bullshit.

ah, and before my comments are taken out of context, the folk metal genre HAS BEEN DONE BEFORE and i realize this, but bands are taking it further and further adding more uncommon instruments. Also, bands like Haggard could also be mentioned. Again, not prog metal, but progressive applies IMO.

so if i make a metal band where i play samba whistle, does that make it a progressive band?

This thread is absolutely horrible and full of poo!

That's why I haven't posted in it yet. There's too much silliness going on and I need time to be CHARGIN MAH LAZER. Although, I will say I probably have a similar mindset to Kenneth on the subject. Teh end.

p.s. Nappa: VEGETA! WHAT DOES THE SCOUTER SAY ABOUT THIS THREAD'S FAIL LEVEL?
Vegeta: IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!!!!

Montu, not a question of awesomeness. In fact, lack of prog makes them more awesome.

Anacrucix, you're missing the point completely. Or else you're being too stubborn to recognize it. Don't you see the contradiction in saying there are specifics (time signature changes) that define progression? To me, the only things that truly define "progressive" as a term are experimentation, reform, and refinement. When a band resigns itself to technical ability and throwing in a few odd time signatures and calling themselves progressive, that's pretty broke-ass in my oppinion.

And you also missed my point about folk instruments. Again, it's about taking an idea or concept and expanding upon it or presenting it in a different way. Check out Haggard, they've got a band and an orchestra. Their first full length "And Thou Shalt Trust... The Seer" came out in '97. At this point, heavy music with orchestra was not a new concept, but having it as part of a band was.

And in the end, we're still talking about music, not retardation. A guy banging his dick on a piano for 37 minutes is not music, unless he's playing mozart. At any rate, that is almost certainly digression as opposed to progression, though it'd be one hell of a show.

Why would you even want to label your band as prog? That is an automatic 95% drop in the number of albums sold, and also instead of hot women following you around you have 50 year old guys that live in vans follow you all over the country.

Why would you even want to label your band as prog? That is an automatic 95% drop in the number of albums sold, and also instead of hot women following you around you have 50 year old guys that live in vans follow you all over the country.
And this matters why?