most overrated albums?

I think I prefer RiB. If SoH didn't have Cleanse the Soul and Dissident Aggressor things would be different.

I actually like "Dissident Aggressor". It's a refreshing change of style from their other songs, but still undeniably Slayer (yes I know it's a JP cover). I have a feeling that I'll come back to NWoBHM some years from now and will thank that song for helping me through it. Or perhaps Dodens can send me that starter pack he sent you, CC.

Which reminds me. Altars of Madness = overrated album. definitely!
I've actually been doing a lot of comparative listening between Altars and Blessed and now I certainly prefer the latter(which is one of the reasons I've finally bought it:cool:). BATS is doomy and somber which is more to my liking. And the vocals are fantastic. Altars has a lot of great riffs, but often sounds like a mishmash.
Crapples reminded me of Absu. Yea, Tara is overrated to the max. Long and mindbogglingly monotonous. I had more fun watching paint dry.

Demoncy,Mayhem, Antaeus Beherit, Burzum, Mutiilation, Deicide.
It's all meh, guys, but seriously.:erk:
And basically all bands whose appeal I don't understand.

I hope no one is stupid enough to say Candlemass.:mad:

It's all meh, guys, but seriously.:erk:
And basically all bands whose appeal I don't understand.

I hope no one is stupid enough to say Candlemass.:mad:

Candlemass

Only because you started it

Alright:p
I simply refuse to follow trends of liking bands, classic(and I love the classics:kickass:) or not, unless I find something special in their music.
Opinions formed on the basis of sincere, unbiased listening are so rare nowadays.

I've actually been doing a lot of comparative listening between Altars and Blessed and now I certainly prefer the latter(which is one of the reasons I've finally bought it:cool:). BATS is doomy and somber which is more to my liking. And the vocals are fantastic. Altars has a lot of great riffs, but often sounds like a mishmash.
Crapples reminded me of Absu. Yea, Tara is overrated to the max. Long and mindbogglingly monotonous. I had more fun watching paint dry.

Yeah, I like Blessed better too. Altars seems to focus more on having a chaotic sound than on having interesting songwriting. I get more out of Blessed when I hear it.

I'd name some overrated bands/albums, but they're either going to be really obvious (i.e. everything the mainstream world embraces) or they're going to piss people off here (i.e. most of the extreme metal that everyone here worships).

Yeah I saw a vid from the 2005 Download Festival and he didn't even bother trying.

Here's his attempt on the Still Reigning DVD.

dont you put that evil on us zephyrus, dont you put that evil on us!

achrisk said:
Dude, I can handle you being a Cowboys fan, but that statement is simply not allowed

:cry:

Last edited by a moderator:

Although I like their praised albums, I agree with Demoncy, Antaeus and Deicide (still find it difficult to get my head around Legion).

I'm undecided on Mütiilation. I still view Vampires of Black Imperial Blood as classic, but it definitely takes time and patience to understand and appreciate. Remains... is more straight-forward, and actually deserves some credit for being one of the first (it was recorded in 1993) "suicidal" styled albums (even though the style is worthless nowadays). With that said, I used to like it a lot more than I do now. I reckon people like to throw around the name because they're viewed as such an obscure, "kvlt" band - and in turn, it makes said people look like avid and involved Black Metal fans (thankfully we have very few of these types posting here).

The same can basically be applied to Beherit. Drawing Down the Moon is such a strange, alien album that very few people are actually going to like it. It's definitely an acquired taste and I genuinely love it.

If this was a year ago I would definitely say Drawing Down The Moon. I used to hate that album and never understood why it got any praise. Then I realized I was listening to it wrong (just like most of the people who claim to like it because it's cool to do). It's not really meant to be listened to as metal, it's something altogether different - which is what is really great about it. Guys like Xasthur (who has some stuff I like) and Leviathan who go for that ambient-influenced style really can't come close to matching the originality of that album.