most overrated albums?

Yeah, of course it is my job to delineate between clearly fucking trolling posts and a real statement of quality contribution to the board...

Oh...wait...no it's not. Get common sense.

Akercocke-Choronzon
Cryptopsy-None So Vile
Wormed-Planisphaerium
and considering their status in the underground:
Krieg-Destruction Ritual
Crimson Massacre-The Luster of Pandemonium

My ears bled in vain. I found nothing of interest in any of those.

This album is for slam enthusiasts ONLY. Those who are initiated, KNOW what they're looking for, and can realize that there is usually something deeper beneath the hyperblasting. I don't think you're ready for it, unfortunately.
The production is just bad and I don't get what I'm supposed to find there. :erk:
Death metal with a very subterranran/necro or just bad production is a major turn-off for me, in general, even when it comes to respected bands(Infester, Obituary, Necrophiliac,Deeds of Flesh,Morpheus Descends). I like my OSDM with a strong melodic component to it and that the sound would not seem purposefully atrocious. That is why all those bands are of limited appeal.(Well, Obituary is because of Tardy. He gets on my nerves :p)

I agree with you on Tardy, seriously...I really don't like Obituary at all...

With Wormed, the production is very loud, but the riffs are actually quite epic, the breakdowns are very atypical but still allow enough room to actually headbang/mosh/whatever to them which is a quite admirable trait. The drumming is quite amazing (though again, it's very loud, and the snare sometimes sounds kind of stupid) and there is even some guitar harmonizing in the riffs despite all the distortion stacked onto them. Some of the things Phlegeton does with vocals sound much more like a percussive instrument than actual vocals producing phonetic sounds (and his English is pretty shit too, so even when you read the lyrics, it's tough to find out what's going on sometimes, though the lyrics are very interesting). Some of the bass interplay is quite cool too, sounds almost fretless like in Spiral Architect or something. It's quite an epic album, despite only being like 25 minutes long...

Obituary fucking rules....

Cause Of Death is a land stone in death metal.
Well, this can be viewed relative as to when you discovered this band. One can't deny that they were hugely influential, but I, for one got around to checking out their stuff very late and so even from a musical standpoint CoD didn't impress me much as some other classic records.

Well, this can be viewed relative as to when you discovered this band. One can't deny that they were hugely influential, but I, for one got around to checking out their stuff very late and so even from a musical standpoint CoD didn't impress me much as some other classic records.

I just find that it is better in terms of song writing. Which is very important to me.

This album is for slam enthusiasts ONLY. Those who are initiated, KNOW what they're looking for, and can realize that there is usually something deeper beneath the hyperblasting. I don't think you're ready for it, unfortunately.
This post sounded kind of arrogant but really you are 100% right. The way DarkBliss described Wormed as overrated would be like me saying Iron Maiden was overrated because they didn't have death vocals and the production was too clean.

Yeah, of course it is my job to delineate between clearly fucking trolling posts and a real statement of quality contribution to the board...

Oh...wait...no it's not. Get common sense.

no need to be a smartass...:Smug:

besides, this is a message board. not everyone can differentiate between sarcasm and sincerity thru typed word.

lol, kinda hard to miss it in Lyles case though as all posts he ever made are trollposts. He even says so himself in this thread. ;)

i dont understand why you guys dislike cause of death / obituary so much. its not particularly obscure at all. as far as death metal goes, i always found it quite easy to listen to. perhaps it is a perspective thing as DarkBliss said. Obituary was one of the first death metal bands i heard (along with Pungent Stench), but im still finding it hard to comprehend how much you guys dislike them.