most overrated albums?

You know IotS, you could have just put up a big sign reading "I AM IGNORANT AND MY MIND IS NOT AT ALL OPEN TO NEW IDEAS SO DON'T BOTHER TALKING TO ME" and saved yourself a lot of typing in this thread and countless others.

IOfTheStorm said:
DeathSweetEmbrace: 2 bands greatly influenced/"made" power metal, Helloween and Iron Maiden, Helloween = the european power metal bands, and Iron Maiden = the american power metal bands. I'm curious on which bands are Manowar rip offs btw.

Helloween is speed metal and Iron Maiden is traditional metal, and neither of them sound power metal at all. Yes, they have melodic guitars and high-pitched vocals, but so does Emperor and King Diamond. Power metal is a mix of traditional metal with a little bit of speed metal and progressive rock thrown in, with fantasy/mythology inspired lyrics, which is exactly what Manowar and every other power metal band is.

DeathsSweetEmbrace said:
Helloween is speed metal and Iron Maiden is traditional metal, and neither of them sound power metal at all. Yes, they have melodic guitars and high-pitched vocals, but so does Emperor and King Diamond. Power metal is a mix of traditional metal with a little bit of speed metal and progressive rock thrown in, with fantasy/mythology inspired lyrics, which is exactly what Manowar and every other power metal band is.
Dude.. "Power metal is a mix of traditional metal with a little bit of speed metal and PROGRESSIVE ROCK thrown in" haha who tells you these things? And that's exactly what Manowar is (progressive rock influenced)? Btw i did not say that Maiden are power metal, but that they influenced/made it (especially american 80s power metal bands). Also, Helloween's sound is the absolute definition of euro-power metal and the key reference point for almost any other european power metal band.

IOfTheStorm said:
Dude.. "Power metal is a mix of traditional metal with a little bit of speed metal and PROGRESSIVE ROCK thrown in" haha who tells you these things? And that's exactly what Manowar is (progressive rock influenced)? Btw i did not say that Maiden are power metal, but that they influenced/made it (especially american 80s power metal bands). Also, Helloween's sound is the absolute definition of euro-power metal and the key reference point for almost any other european power metal band.
and?:cry: :cry: :cry:

DeathsSweetEmbrace said:
You don't have to be a power metal band to influence power metal bands.

Also, Helloween was exclusively Power Metal whenever Kai Hansen wasn't the vocalist, so what the fuck anyway.

Erik said:
how is MANOWAR more "power metal" than HELLOWEEN

have you actually heard the bands you are talking about

1. Because Helloween, while aurally having many similarities to power metal, also includes thrashy/speedy riffage on some songs and does not display a power metal image or have power metal appropriate lyrical content (the same reason many people refuse to call Opeth a death metal band).
2. Yes.

IOfTheStorm said:

1. Progressive rock includes long songs and senseless noodling and soloing - just like power metal does, and Manowar is just as guilty of this as Stratovarius, Hammerfall, Gamma Ray, Sonota Arctica, etc.
2. Of course power metal bands are influenced by non-power metal bands. That does not make band which influenced them power metal (i.e. Helloween falls short of being power metal).

You have a severely wrong idea both of progressive rock and power metal. By the way the bands you mentioned have maximum 1-2 LONG songs per album (unless you consider 4-5 minutes songs to be long) their soloing is just the typical metal one (except from Sonata Arctica) and their song structures are not anywhere near prog rock.
About Helloween being power metal or not: You say that Helloween are not power metal mainly because of image/lyrics..well done! Is there a typical power metal image? No.., neither typical power metal lyrics . Power metal actually can have lots thrash/speed riffing (example : Helstar) and Helloween did have that only in their ep and debut.
Oh and the "Manowar have common elements with progressive rock" is one of the funniest things ever. Just simple epic heavy metal, nothing more, nothing else.

Carcassian said:
Foolish youth. :Smug:

Now now, I am very familiar with every single album of both of those bands... I grew up on them and Maiden, Pearl Jam and Judas Priest... I leaned more towards Maiden and Priest rahter than Slayer and Metallica... Not a fan of earlier thrash, doesn't make me a foolish youth though

Thorns On My Grave said:
Now now, I am very familiar with every single album of both of those bands... I grew up on them and Maiden, Pearl Jam and Judas Priest... I leaned more towards Maiden and Priest rahter than Slayer and Metallica... Not a fan of earlier thrash, doesn't make me a foolish youth though

Saying that, for instance, South of Heaven or Ride the Lightning are over rated would seem to make you a foolish youth...

Thorns On My Grave said:

EDIT: I, on the other hand, am a double posting old fool

Strapping Young Lad is far from pseudo-intellectual. It's a jockey metal fuck fest. Also early Blut Aus Nord is quite good.