Most overrated and underrated bands ever

Necuratul said:
Yeah, The Twilight Zone sucks because it's black and white.

No man, it's not that. He's got a point, if he didn't live that era it's hard to get into it, I prefer the newer Gone In 60 Seconds, maybe the plot's the same, maybe the first one is "better" but that's the first one I saw, and the one I liked. I saw the first one, and it just didn't feel right, to someone older, it'd be the other way around.

Don't worry man, the first Met album I liked was the black one, and I wasn't thoroughly rocked by MoP... I liked older rock, Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, but MoP sounded fucking different, and the black album kind of had some laid back tunes that were easy to get into. I've progressed, maybe there's hope for him...

Does that mean all of you are older, and got into these bands when they first came out?

It's suprising (because I just assumed you guys were younger), but it would explain the different in taste and appreciation of these bands.

Scott

The Greys said:
If you hear a band or music thinking it's outdated you are an idiot, especially music from the 70's and 80's which is actually not to long ago. There is older music than that and people love it to this day.

He's right though some music does sound dated when compared to newer sounding recordings or evolutions of style. Though your appreciation of music has got to be a bit underdeveloped if you need eveything to have exactly the same slick, processed feel to it that a lot of modern music has. There is something to be said for finding something to love even in music that at first seems unfamiliar or out of date.

SheisMySin said:
I'm 30, and started about 1988.

What is that...18 years? Prolly longer than most of you, hey?

Well then I don't know what to tell you since you've probably heard it all before, but if I were you and didn't like older bands for no other reason that they sound different to newer ones I would just not get involved in discussions about them, because that is honestly one of the weakest reasons I've ever heard and strongly reaffirms what I wrote above.

Ah fuck, now my point is moot...

What'd you like back in the day?

BTW, I'm only 20, but I was raised on "classic rock" when I was a kid... Things progress..

SheisMySin said:
Does that mean all of you are older, and got into these bands when they first came out?

It's suprising (because I just assumed you guys were younger), but it would explain the different in taste and appreciation of these bands.

Scott

I wasn't even born when Judas Priest and motorhead released some of their stuff and I still love it. It doesn't sound dated to me, but each to his own eh. :kickass: :kickass: :kickass: :kickass:

SheisMySin said:

Scott

I'm 19 and have been listening to underground(ish) metal for six years, I'm not as fond of the old-school as many here but I do like a lot of vintage bands and albums from all styles of music.

I'm 19 and like older classic bands.

Most people do. I don't understand the bashing. As you get older you look more into the history of music.

Why would a 30 year old not like 80's or even 70's music ?

If we can appreciate it and like it because music is good music why cant you. You should be albe to tell us about cool bands from the 80's we might not know instead of being a douchebag.

I got into metal late 80's...so that's about my timelimit as to what I like. I'm trying to think if I like ANY older bands...and I don't think I do.

For me, it "usually" goes like this. A band will invent a sound...and others follow, and take it to the next level.

At the time, I seemed to get into the bands that were at the next level, so going back a stage souneded like the music lost the edge of the newer stuff.

Best example, I really loved Iced Earth's newest CD with Ripper. When I found out he played in Judas Priest, I bought Jugulator. While I didn't LOVE it, I liked it a lot...the guitars were heavy, and some of the songs were sweet. I then tried to get into older JP, and nope...I just couldn't. Everything JP lovers love about Halford and the old stuff, I disliked. Everything they hated about Jugulator, I loved. Weird.

Scott

>>>I were you and didn't like older bands for no other reason that they sound different to newer ones I would just not get involved in discussions about them

Good point. lol...I don't know why that makes sense now?

I wouldn't expect someone who had no appreciation of graphic design, or liked it to hold a discussion with me regarding it.

Scott

You've made a lot of progress, we'll keep you under close observation and see that you don't relapse but I have high hopes of a full recovery. You can pay via cash, check or Paypal. Cash is preferred.

Well that's over now and we can all move on.

Keelhaul are hugely underrated, as are Wndham Hell and Scald.

Nevermore are hugely overrated, as are Finntroll and Bloodbath.

You don't even know what the fuck you're talking about. You shouldn't be allowed access to a computer.

You should take note of the second half of your comment when taking a given post seriously. :)