Most underrated Metal Albums

Definetly "Gore Obsessed" By Cannibal Corpse. People don't like it,but in my opinion and as others have said in this thread, it is fucking amazing. Corpse Grinder is better than Barnes any day of the week except for live shows. "PIt Of Zombies", "When Death Replaces Life", and their cover of Metallica's "No Remorse" is just fucking brutal.

Death "Scream Bloody Gore" is also underrated.

I cannot htink of anymore, but "Orchid" is somewhat under-rated by Opeth....

Originally posted by skalle
Piledriver "Metal inquisition" is underated as hell!
Check ´em out!

Your right on that. I've known Gordie ( The Piledriver) for years now,One cool guy he is.Have you checked out his other band "Dogs With Jobs?

Most under-rated album Riot - Fire Down Under

I could mention a whole bunch of albums nobody's heard of, but the thread is "best underrated," and not "best unknown." So here's a few for you:

Candlemass--Chapter VI: I don't care if it doesn't sound like Ancient Dreams, it's a great melodic / doom hybrid CD

Accept--Russian Roulette: Everyone thought it sucked. I kept listening and it grew on me. Title track is amazing.

Memento Mori--Rhymes of Lunacy: Rhymes is NOT a Candlemass clone--clean out your ears!

Riot--Privilege of Power: Thundersteel was great, then no one cared about the follow up! Privilege of Power was also strong.

Running Wild--Pile of Skulls: Everyone talks about Death or Glory, but this one has a better production. Also has "Black Wings of Death"--possibly the ultimate RW song of all time.

Savatage--Hall of the Mountain King: Hall of the Mountain King will always be the ULTIMATE Savatage for me. Infectuous rhythms that make you want to smash things.

Skyclad--Jonah's Ark: I actually enjoyed this more than Burnt Offerings. Cleaner sound and more mature songs. Unheralded.

Black Sabbath--Headless Cross: I'm not the biggest Tony Martin fan, either. But Headless has some great songs, and was dismissed before it was even released. Unfair criticism does not impress me. At least listen to the material first.

Queesryche--The Warning: I hated this album because it wasn't as guitar-heavy as the EP. Then I kept listening, and it became one of my favorites of all time. I wish I knew the words the guy is speaking in the background of "Roads to Madness."

Kreator--Coma of Souls: Best production of any Kreator in that era. Yes, I like this more than Extreme Aggression.

Nocturnus--Thresholds: There, I said it--OK?!? Most unjustifiably trashed album of the '90s. Everyone called it "Cold Lake 2," but it was really an amazing stab at death/progressive. People couldn't understand it, so they killed it.

Samael--Blood Ritual: One of the best guitar sounds ever put on tape. Incredible groove for black metal.

Sinister--Diabolical Summoning: Can't undertand why people didn't like this. Intense speed/death blend. Unbelievable guitar work.

Venom--At War With Satan: Sure they were drunk out of their minds, but I could care less. Very....ehem...."loose" production values here, but I had never heard a 20 minute song before this, and it was just awesome. Some of the lyrics put me in stitches to this day.

That's enough for now

:D

--S

I agree with you guys on the Megadeth album. I think that it doesn't get what it deserves. It, to me, is their greatest album. The Slayer thing, I would have to say maybe Diabolus, because I know alot of people that don't like but I think it has alot of strong points and is a great album. The point of this thread would be underrated albums so I don't think their first few cds were ever underrated, but I could be wrong. Some people don't like Gene Adams' voice on Iced Earth's s/t album, which kills the album for some, so I would have to go with that one as being underrated. Alot of people don't give Ripper Owens credit either, therefore I chose both Jugulator and Demolition. Many people don't like it because it's not Rob on vocals so they have totally shun Judas Priest off and not even listened to these to albums.

Samael-Passage
Geezer-Black Science
Agents Of Oblivion-Self Titled
Dio-Strange Highways
Dio-Lock Up The Wolves
Led Zeppelin-Presence(as far as Zeppelin albums go!)
Sepultura-Chaos A.D.
Overkill-ALL!
Testament-Demonic

Originally posted by Soul_Schizm

Riot--Privilege of Power: Thundersteel was great, then no one cared about the follow up! Privilege of Power was also strong.

Black Sabbath--Headless Cross: I'm not the biggest Tony Martin fan, either. But Headless has some great songs, and was dismissed before it was even released. Unfair criticism does not impress me. At least listen to the material first.

Nocturnus--Thresholds: There, I said it--OK?!? Most unjustifiably trashed album of the '90s. Everyone called it "Cold Lake 2," but it was really an amazing stab at death/progressive. People couldn't understand it, so they killed it.

--S

DAMN! :mad:
I forgot those! Killer assesment with the Riot album... It was definatly underated, and is a metal classic after following Thundersteel!

Headless Cross... you can't beat an album with Tony Martin singing, I think it's his best with Sabbath!

Anyone who thought "Thresholds" from Nocturnus was a "Cold Lake 2" must have never given the album a chance, and missed out in my opinion! it's a great progressive/death metal album! Athough the Production could have been a bit better, it was a great follow up to "The Key".

\m/
Dustin

How i will laugh.... by Suicidal Tendencies
Lights , Camera , Revolution by Suicidal Tendencies
Testament - Practice What You Preach (Absolutely killer!!!)
Mercyful Fate - In the shadows & Dead Again

I think Sabbath's 'Born Again' album is possibly the most underrated metal album of all time! I'm still trying to figure out why critics hated this. The vocals were astounding, as well as the riffs, and the songwriting for this album was just kick ass...

This is not relative to the discussion but..

"Have you ever watched golf on TV? It's like watching flies fuck!" - George Carlin

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHA :lol:

Suicidal Tendencies are majorly underrated. Lights, Camera... I mean...What a fucking amazing album that was. Even now there still going strong. I totally love Free Dumb and Free Your Soul...Save Your Mind. Can't beat Lights, Camera though.

Originally posted by Soul_Schizm
Candlemass--Chapter VI: I don't care if it doesn't sound like Ancient Dreams, it's a great melodic / doom hybrid CD
Chapter VI is awesome. I think it is a worthy followup to Tales of Creation. It is well paced, and as you said, melodic and doomy at the same time. Vikstrom has a voice well suited for the music, too.

Memento Mori--Rhymes of Lunacy: Rhymes is NOT a Candlemass clone--clean out your ears!
Rhymes of Lunacy is simply enchanting. Very technical, yet very melodic at the same time. The whole packaging is cool too, it helps add a dark atmosphere to the whole affair. The followups were pretty good too, but this one was their best.

I've had a lot of trouble tracking down Privilege of Power - it's not widely available on CD, and of course nobody on the P2P systems has heard of metal pre-dating 1998. Thundersteel is metal as hell - Tony Moore has a great metal voice.

Running Wild--Pile of Skulls: Everyone talks about Death or Glory, but this one has a better production. Also has "Black Wings of Death"--possibly the ultimate RW song of all time.
Ahh! Hard to beat "Battle of Waterloo", though!

Savatage--Hall of the Mountain King: Hall of the Mountain King will always be the ULTIMATE Savatage for me. Infectuous rhythms that make you want to smash things.
Listening to "24 Hours Ago", how can you *not* want to kick down the door?

This was the first Sabbath I ever heard, interestingly enough. I love the first three Tony Martin/Sabbath albums. Good call on this one.

Samael--Blood Ritual: One of the best guitar sounds ever put on tape. Incredible groove for black metal.
I still listen to this one quite a bit. It has some great, sinister songs on it, but still, it was just a prelude to the masterpiece that is Ceremony of Opposites.

Nice work...You've put a lot of thought into these. I couldn't agree more with the above recommendations. Some here I'm not familiar with, so I'll have to do some digging....

Originally posted by IOfTheStorm
Powerslave is not underrated ...
it got/gets all the attention he deserves , everyone praises it.
i would say ...Heir Apparent's "One Small Voice" to be one of the most underrated things i know.
it is a pure masterpiece in the same standards as Fates Warning for example ...but few know it ....
Agreed :)
I would add any stuff by Manilla Road, Heathen, Laaz Rockit, Warlord, Riot, Memory Garden, Scanner..... very underrated bands.

Originally posted by union9
I agree on Samael being completely underrated. They are truly astounding.
Agreed. They've not put out a bad album in my opinion. Also, they're the only band who was able to transcend black metal into electronica and do it well.

Ceremony of Opposites is an amazing album that I rarely hear anything about.

Aversion-Fit to be Tied
Only Living Witness-Prone Mortal Form
Overkill-The Years of Decay
Testament-Low
Sepultura-Roots
Cannibal Corpse-Gallery of Suicide
Deicide-In Torment In Hell
Myrkskog-Superior Massacre
Cradle of Filth-Bitter Suites to Succubi
Nevermore-The Politics of Ecstasy
Krisiun-Ageless Venomous
Susperia-Predominance