Most underrated Metal Albums

theres too many underrated albums out there:
Death - Spiritual Healing
iron maiden - fear of the dark
lacuna coil- all of there albums (nobody over here has heard of them)
69 eyes - all as well (nobody over here has heard of them eather)

and load more, too many to mention, and to many i havent heard yet

anyone know where to get "strapping young lad" mp3s? i cant find them anywhere on bearshare or kazaa

Soul_Schizm said:
I could mention a whole bunch of albums nobody's heard of, but the thread is "best underrated," and not "best unknown." So here's a few for you:

Accept--Russian Roulette: Everyone thought it sucked. I kept listening and it grew on me. Title track is amazing.
the follow up! Privilege of Power was also strong.

Running Wild--Pile of Skulls: Everyone talks about Death or Glory, but this one has a better production. Also has "Black Wings of Death"--possibly the ultimate RW song of all time.

--S
Good call on Running Wild, have no Cds but heard of them. Checked some samples then got three CDs:
-Pile of Skulls
-Death or Glory
-Black Hand Inn
What can I say, "pirate" rock is cool. They rock very good and avoid getting corny, also these new remasters have 70+ minutes each!

Also picked up Accept-Russian Roulette and it is good but I think earlier "metal heart" Cd is even better....a real sleeper.

Anthrax - Volume 8: One of the best metal albums that most metal fans have never heard

AC/DC - Fly On the Wall: Overlooked and forgotten by many people (including the band itself, who never play anything live from it), but this is the album that made me a fan

Metallica - Metallica: Okay, perhaps not overrated in the commercial world, but certainly underrated by longtime metal fans who say this was their downfall. While Load and Reload were pure crap, I thougth this album stayed metal, and allowed Metallica to reach the top on their own terms.

Alice in Chains - Facelift: Everyone always talks about their later albums, but this one is still the best

Twisted Sister - You Can't Stop Rock'n'Roll: Twisted Sister is underrated period. People think of them as a joke, but they made some great music

nafnikufesin said:
Anthrax - Volume 8: One of the best metal albums that most metal fans have never heard

Twisted Sister - You Can't Stop Rock'n'Roll: Twisted Sister is underrated period. People think of them as a joke, but they made some great music
TS was another group I didn't check out till just recently, Dee Snider goofy clown get-up was just too corny and I never took them seriously,then I tried the music, this is great stuff and ended up getting 3 albums:
-Can't Stop Rock and Roll
-Under the Blade
-Stay Hungry
I think "under the blade" probably best single album, showcasing earliest material......agree very under-rated

Underrated? Here we go:

AC/DC - The Razors Edge
Bolt Thrower - Realm Of Chaos
Bonfire - Fire Works
Alice Cooper - Hey Stoopid
Death - Spiritual Healing
Gorefest - Mindloss
Helloween - Keeper Of The Seven Keys Part II
Iron Maiden - Somewhere In Time
Kiss - Hot In The Shade
Manowar - Fighting The World
Megadeth - Rust In Peace
Motley Crue - Too Fast For Love
Running Wild - Blazon Stone
Sepultura - Schizophrenia
Sodom - Obsessed By Cruelty
Testament - Practice What You Preach
Twisted Sister - Come Out And Play
Venom - Calm Before The Storm
W.A.S.P. - Inside The Electric Circus
Warlock - Triumph And Agony

And these are just the few which came to my mind right away!

Not 100 percent sure if they were already mentioned, but I think Voivod is the most under rated band of all time, and the album 'Dimension Hatross' is the most underated album of all time.

These guys are the Godfathers of thrash. Their new album is back to the roots. Check it out!

I know about Schiz....they are going to tour with Voivod.

Can you imagine, Voivod and Sepultura? Now that would be a thrash fest!

The 2 most underrated/overlooked albums I can remember from my teenage years were:

Riot - Thundersteel
Pretty Maids - Future World

It seems that no one these days ever even talks about these; they both rule!

union9 said:
So fucking true man. I'm sick to death of idiots rating Corpse poorly when they are indeed still leaders of their ilk. Gore Obsessed is brilliant.

Indeed fellow mosher. Gore obsessed is fucking nice and some songs like dormant bodies bursting just fuckin own, not to mention no remorse, that the fucking best.:headbang:

I still put Thundersteel in my CD changer lots. It makes me remember the old days. It's a classic. I just thought everyone understood that--so I picked Priviledge instead.

But hell yea: if people don't know, there was once this incredible vocalist named Tony Moore who recorded two amazing Power Metal albums with Riot and then disappeared into thin air. Thundersteel was the first. Buy or die--definitely :headbang:

--S

Soul_Schizm said:
Born Again is amazing. Everyone should own that album. I remember Leatherwolf's S/T, too. Very good stuff. Was that the end of the band? Or did they record afterwards? Excellent guitarwork on that one, if I recall.

--S

Leatherwolf released "Street Ready" afterwards, which was also well done.

They have a website somewhere and are still releasing albums. I haven't heard their new stuff though.

They were also one of the first bands to use a 3 guitar line-up.