Mudvayne?

Hammer of Might

New Metal Member
Jul 25, 2003
London, England
What do you think of Mudvayne?

I haven't heard much of their stuff, but from what I've heard they don't sound too bad. It's nu metal, which I'm very skeptical about, but it is good nu metal IMO. No contest between them and other bands discussed here though!

I ask this because several people here seem to have said good things about them. What do you think?

they are good....

Im glad that they already got over that goofy image, or at least thats what it seems in their lastest video

Yeah that image was pretty gay. The seem to me like a nu metal band, but a GOOD nu metal band. The cream of the crop, if you will.

Not that that would necessarily make them a good band though! :lol:

Mudvayne are excellent. I don't consider them nu-metal at all, compare their music to Limp Bizkit or Linkin Park and you will hear a huge style and talent difference.... Their first album was pretty good, but their new album is a masterpiece. Everything was improved, except the song structures aren't quite as complex, but its no big deal. Thier bassist is awesome, and the trio of guitar, bass, and drums work very well together, not one is the pure focal point. They come up with some awesome breakdowns, a good example is in the song Not Falling, its so friggin cool.... plus the drumming is very technical, top notch. Unfortunately, the one song that most people have heard and judge them by is "Dig", off their first album, which is their worst song by far. Mudvayne are an awesome band, more people should give them a chance, but then that wouldn't be "tr00" now, would it....

hey i thought we weren't gonna use that term 'nu-metal' anymore. Mudvayne are not nu-metal, as their first album was released over 6 years ago, the Beginning of All Things To End. Nu-metal isn't even a fucking category, its an undefined useless word used as an all-purpose insult when you can't find the bad points of the music to point out.

Mudvayne are very creative and coordinated well, and I like them. No I don't think they're a gift to metal, but they are good.

lol... if mudvayne plays on the radio in el paso where theres only hip-hop liking mexicans (no offense) i think that u must have heat stroke to think they sound even somewhat interesting...its ultimate metal not ultimately the gayest metal.

Thanatology Boy said:
lol... if mudvayne plays on the radio in el paso where theres only hip-hop liking mexicans (no offense) i think that u must have heat stroke to think they sound even somewhat interesting...its ultimate metal not ultimately the gayest metal.
typical lame comment focusing on mexican radio and whether or not something is gay because it plays on the radio, rather then the music. pathetic.

they are a great band. all amazing musicians. ESPECIALLY the bass player. and me being a bass player, i am amazed at what he is doing
~gR~

genocide roach said:
they are a great band. all amazing musicians. ESPECIALLY the bass player. and me being a bass player, i am amazed at what he is doing
~gR~

i agree..hes a good bassist.,...

Ya, I like em. I love LD50 but am wishy washy with their new one. Their bassist Ryan is superb at bass. Their drummer is pretty damn good too and the duo really carry the band. The guitarist is definitely their weak point. They could be a lot better if they got another guitarist and worked in great riffs instead of the whole start-stop thing.

I like them, and I agree that the rhythm section is amazing.

Dig being their worst song? Hmm... probably, but it is still damn good. It has some nice bass lines that are fun to play.

I love Mudvayne. They are one of the few "mainstream" bands that are more worried about their creative schtick than what's 'in' or 'hip.'

They had their gimmick for a while, but you could argue that they did it to separate the real fans of their music from the detractors of their image. Their video debut was expertly timed, considering Slipknot had exploded onto the scene the year before.

And they meld alternative metal, prog, and funk together in a unique and genre-bending combo, with lyrics dealing from censorship, to Ed Gein's psyche, to the decay of human civilization, and of course, the obligatory you-can't-defeat-me anthems.

Their bass player and drummer are to die for. And their singer has this shocking clean-harsh transfer, and is usually semi-intelligible either way.

On a side note:

hey i thought we weren't gonna use that term 'nu-metal' anymore. Mudvayne are not nu-metal, as their first album was released over 6 years ago, the Beginning of All Things To End. Nu-metal isn't even a fucking category, its an undefined useless word used as an all-purpose insult when you can't find the bad points of the music to point out.
Well said.

Cool, a good response there then, I'll have to check them out further! As someone said would be the case with a lot of people, I've only heard 'Dig' so far - not bad at all, but if that's their worst they they sound good!

I'm not a great fan of the constant stop-start riffing, but this has been inplemented well in Dig I think.