Must Have Guitar Albums

Totally when i heard No Parole from Rock n' Roll i was also stunned, the solo on Kree Nakoorie, the intro on Hiroshima, the melodies on Starcarr Lane, not to mention Jet to Jet & Too Young to Die,Too Drunk to Live!!!!!! i still get electric when i listen to it,and of course a dose of Uli & Schenker to follow
I hope the Schenker show here in San Diego does not cancel on monday!!!!

Yeah...shred isn't that difficult to play. Do you play? Do you have any of your playing posted? I gotta hear this. Any style is difficult to play if you play it well. That's like saying blues is easy because it is comparatively simple...sometimes seemingly simple things are the most complex.

Malmsteen's good...yeah...he's ok. :lol: Dude...he defines a genre. That's like saying "Eruption" is dated...Ha!...man, when that came out it was mind boggling. I remember the first time I heard Yngwie with Alcatrazz...I was floored...there was nothing like that...it was from outer space. Still, to this day, no one does it better and everyone doing it is a clone in some respect. Maybe he's an arrogant prick, who knows...I don't know him, but that doesn't lessen the impact he made on modern guitar playing.

I mean comparitively. Playing actual Classical music on a guitar is much more difficult than neo-classical. Flamenco is a much more difficult style to master than shred. Of course shred, progressive and jazz fusion are probably the most difficult styles to play technically with pickstyle, though.

I'm not saying Yngwie is a bad guitarist, he's definitely innovative and one hell of a player, but he can't compare as a guitarist to people like Paco De Lucia or Lenny Breau, or even Steve Morse. His work with Steeler was pretty tight, too, "Hot On Your Heels" is one of my favorite Yngwie solos.

And not every guitarist who plays fast is an Yngwie clone, Satch has a completely different sound, as does Buckethead, Nuno Bettencourt, Paul Gilbert, Steve Morse, etc. A lot of the licks Yngwie uses can be heard on Al Dimeola's debut album, combining what Van Halen and Dimeola had already done for guitar, I wouldn't say Yngwie invented shred.

I have a few videos up, most are old and I REALLY need to re-record them.
Here's my cover of the solo from "Alone In the Dark" - Testament: http://youtube.com/watch?v=hLwcTIbqMn8

I'm going to upload Far Beyond the Sun and the Souls of Black solo soon, too.

I mean comparitively. Playing actual Classical music on a guitar is much more difficult than neo-classical. Flamenco is a much more difficult style to master than shred. Of course shred, progressive and jazz fusion are probably the most difficult styles to play technically with pickstyle, though.

I'm not saying Yngwie is a bad guitarist, he's definitely innovative and one hell of a player, but he can't compare as a guitarist to people like Paco De Lucia or Lenny Breau, or even Steve Morse. His work with Steeler was pretty tight, too, "Hot On Your Heels" is one of my favorite Yngwie solos.

And not every guitarist who plays fast is an Yngwie clone, Satch has a completely different sound, as does Buckethead, Nuno Bettencourt, Paul Gilbert, Steve Morse, etc. A lot of the licks Yngwie uses can be heard on Al Dimeola's debut album, combining what Van Halen and Dimeola had already done for guitar, I wouldn't say Yngwie invented shred.

Here's my cover of the solo from "Alone In the Dark" - Testament: http://youtube.com/watch?v=hLwcTIbqMn8

You're an infant...I shouldn't even be chatting with you.:lol:

Anyway...I don't lump the likes of Morse and DiMeola with the neo classical shredders. They're from a different place and time. Buckethead is an anomaly. Gilbert definitely borrowed big time from Yngwie. Bettencourt as well. Sure most put their own take on it, but the influence is HEAVY! Satch isn't even really in the same class of players IMO...he's good and has some great moments.

One thing isn't necessarily more difficult...it's a matter of what you study and practice..it depends on your focus. If Flamenco is all you ever knew, the blues may seem impossible. It's all relative.

Keep practicing...and more importantly...get in a band. Copping peoples solos and practicing techniques is comparatively meaningless to the experience of making music. Just some words of advice from an old schooler.

Totally when i heard No Parole from Rock n' Roll i was also stunned, the solo on Kree Nakoorie, the intro on Hiroshima, the melodies on Starcarr Lane, not to mention Jet to Jet & Too Young to Die,Too Drunk to Live!!!!!! i still get electric when i listen to it,and of course a dose of Uli & Schenker to follow
I hope the Schenker show here in San Diego does not cancel on monday!!!!

I've got Schenker in July...he cancelled my show last year...that was a bummer.

No Parole is one of my all time favorite albums. I saw that tour in a small club...Yngwie was amazing!

You're an infant...I shouldn't even be chatting with you.:lol:

Anyway...I don't lump the likes of Morse and DiMeola with the neo classical shredders. They're from a different place and time. Buckethead is an anomaly. Gilbert definitely borrowed big time from Yngwie. Bettencourt as well. Sure most put their own take on it, but the influence is HEAVY! Satch isn't even really in the same class of players IMO...he's good and has some great moments.

One thing isn't necessarily more difficult...it's a matter of what you study and practice..it depends on your focus. If Flamenco is all you ever knew, the blues may seem impossible. It's all relative.

Keep practicing...and more importantly...get in a band. Copping peoples solos and practicing techniques is comparatively meaningless to the experience of making music. Just some words of advice from an old schooler.

Gilbert and Yngwie are very different, they both came around the same time, and have completely different styles ("Far Beyond the Sun" and "King of the Monsters", for example, sound nothing alike.. It's kinda like Metallica and Slayer. Metallica and Slayer both play thrash and were early onto the scene, but that doesn't mean they influenced each other, they have very different styles). I've never heard much Yngwie in Nuno either, his style of tapping is like EVH x10..

You're right about if Flamenco is all you know, you probably will have trouble playing a good blues riff.. But that's the thing about Breau, his versatility, he can play Flamenco licks using flamenco finger-style techniques of the likes of De Lucia, and then in the next song he could be play some jazzy-blues fusion song with just as much proficiency as the flamenco song.

Anyways, I don't really care much about being in a band right now. I do jam with friends and other local bands, but right now I don't care much about joining a band, just practicing and jamming. I've tried my hand at composing, too, still in a midi file until I eventually get a band together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLAE_O_-x-k

EDIT: And if I remember correctly, Shawn Lane spent several years performing covers before he started writting and performing his own music.

Gilbert and Yngwie are very different, they both came around the same time, and have completely different styles ("Far Beyond the Sun" and "King of the Monsters", for example, sound nothing alike.. It's kinda like Metallica and Slayer. Metallica and Slayer both play thrash and were early onto the scene, but that doesn't mean they influenced each other, they have very different styles). I've never heard much Yngwie in Nuno either, his style of tapping is like EVH x10..

You're right about if Flamenco is all you know, you probably will have trouble playing a good blues riff.. But that's the thing about Breau, his versatility, he can play Flamenco licks using flamenco finger-style techniques of the likes of De Lucia, and then in the next song he could be play some jazzy-blues fusion song with just as much proficiency as the flamenco song.

Anyways, I don't really care much about being in a band right now. I do jam with friends and other local bands, but right now I don't care much about joining a band, just practicing and jamming. I've tried my hand at composing, too, still in a midi file until I eventually get a band together:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLAE_O_-x-k

EDIT: And if I remember correctly, Shawn Lane spent several years performing covers before he started writting and performing his own music.

How old are you? You look about 12...is that right? I'm not being mean or critical...just curious.

I agree with Schenk--any style that one does not focus is more difficult that one he/she is used to playing, for whatever reason-technical, correct fell, etc. My style was very influenced by the first wave of thrash/speed metal and I can play just about anything in the "hard rock-metal" genre, but make me play a blues or jazz song and I sound like total shit because I am not used to it.

IMO Malmsteen is way overrated, I know he is very good at what he does but to me he is a total wanker showoff. I am much more impressed by players like, as far as rythmn goes, Mustaine, Petrozza, Schuldiner, etc, and as far as lead playing, Petrucci, James Murphy, Skolnick, LaRocque than I am by Malmsteen, and his clones like Joe Stump. Gilbert is good, but not original

BTW, nice solo, it came off really well and maintained the orignal feel. GEt guitar pro and use that to play with if you dont have a band, I use it alot to record stuff

Shadow mentioned Buckethead and it reminded me of something. What has he done? I know I am not up on all that happens in music but, what did he do? IMO, Buckethead is overhyped. Of course, that is just my opinion and I could be wrong.

I agree with Schenk--any style that one does not focus is more difficult that one he/she is used to playing, for whatever reason-technical, correct fell, etc. My style was very influenced by the first wave of thrash/speed metal and I can play just about anything in the "hard rock-metal" genre, but make me play a blues or jazz song and I sound like total shit because I am not used to it.

IMO Malmsteen is way overrated, I know he is very good at what he does but to me he is a total wanker showoff. I am much more impressed by players like, as far as rythmn goes, Mustaine, Petrozza, Schuldiner, etc, and as far as lead playing, Petrucci, James Murphy, Skolnick, LaRocque than I am by Malmsteen, and his clones like Joe Stump. Gilbert is good, but not original

BTW, nice solo, it came off really well and maintained the orignal feel. GEt guitar pro and use that to play with if you dont have a band, I use it alot to record stuff

My point about Malmsteen is that he defined a genre and his influence is enormous.

Seriously Eerie, listen to Alcatrazz's "No Parole From Rock n Roll" and tell me he's overrated. Then imagine that in 1983.

Shadow mentioned Buckethead and it reminded me of something. What has he done? I know I am not up on all that happens in music but, what did he do? IMO, Buckethead is overhyped. Of course, that is just my opinion and I could be wrong.

True, he's an oddball player and original, but he really hasn't done anything to note.

I heard Murphy's solo album and it was pretty tight ("Epoch" was amazing). Yngwie was good on "No Parole From Rock n Roll" and that Steeler album he played.

I wouldn't say Gilbert isn't original, though, his licks were pretty much his and his alone when he first started releasing albums with Racer X, and every album he puts out, he does something completely new (Listen to "Get Out of My Yard" played on a 3 String Guitar :loco: )

Buckethead and Mattias Eklundh are the two best new rock/metal guitarists IMO. Any sceptics, check out any of these songs by Buckethead:
Unrestrained Growth, Padmasana, Machete, Nottingham Lace, Soothsayer, Too Many Humans, Big Sur Moon.

Read the short article with Marty Friedman in this months Guitar Player. It's exactly how I feel about the techno stuff. So many players are simply highly practiced patterns...there are very few guitarists out there now, especially in metal, who can convey any emotion in their playing. It's an expression of their practice time...not of who they are as artists.

Read the short article with Marty Friedman in this months Guitar Player. It's exactly how I feel about the techno stuff. So many players are simply highly practiced patterns...there are very few guitarists out there now, especially in metal, who can convey any emotion in their playing. It's an expression of their practice time...not of who they are as artists.

Meh, I stopped bothering with guitar world after they started putting out "Betcha Can't Play This"..

But you're right, too many Yngwie-clones nowadays. Buckethead is a great player, though, he's definitely no mindless wanker, he's an extremely versatile guitarist who knows how to write a solo with emotion and not make it generic either. But remember, sadness isn't the only emotion, speed can convey several emotions if used correctly.

My point about Malmsteen is that he defined a genre and his influence is enormous.

Seriously Eerie, listen to Alcatrazz's "No Parole From Rock n Roll" and tell me he's overrated. Then imagine that in 1983.

I'll give it a try, I havent heard Malmsteen with Alcatrazz, only his solo stuff--Rising Force, etc

You hit the nail right on the head. There is no arguement that technically, Malmsteen is top notch. However, it is your effect on a generation of players and music buyers that can also set you apart. Take Jimmy Page for example. I do not consider him 'great' but he had such a profound effect, he is among the grreatest. Page is a great rythm player imo.

Meh, I stopped bothering with guitar world after they started putting out "Betcha Can't Play This"..

But you're right, too many Yngwie-clones nowadays. Buckethead is a great player, though, he's definitely no mindless wanker, he's an extremely versatile guitarist who knows how to write a solo with emotion and not make it generic either. But remember, sadness isn't the only emotion, speed can convey several emotions if used correctly.

I personally can't relate with Buckethead or much of his music...give me Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, Eric Johnson, Johnny A, Steve Morse, Gary Moore, Uli Jon Roth and Michael Schenker and I'm happy...throw in a sprinkling of techno wankers and that's cool too, but it won't shake my world.

You're very well versed for a youngster, but I think you should get out of the house more often.

I personally can't relate with Buckethead or much of his music...give me Larry Carlton, Robben Ford, Eric Johnson, Johnny A, Steve Morse, Gary Moore, Uli Jon Roth and Michael Schenker and I'm happy...throw in a sprinkling of techno wankers and that's cool too, but it won't shake my world.

You're very well versed for a youngster, but I think you should get out of the house more often.

Nothing beats the originals. And I usually just jam with friends sometimes, but most of my friends just listen to punk, ska shit and a few of the bigger metal bands (Metallica, Slayer, etc), most people my age don't take music that seriously, tho :Smug:

Btw, could you recommend me some blues players to check out, the only one I listen to now is SRV.

Nothing beats the originals. And I usually just jam with friends sometimes, but most of my friends just listen to punk, ska shit and a few of the bigger metal bands (Metallica, Slayer, etc), most people my age don't take music that seriously, tho :Smug:

Btw, could you recommend me some blues players to check out, the only one I listen to now is SRV.

Check out Robben Ford and Larry Carlton...it gets no better. These guys play jazz/fusion with a true blues feel....magnificent stuff.

Also...get Gary Moore's "Still Got the Blues"...it will open up doors for you to hear a hard rock/metal player tearing up the blues like no one.