"New" (2006) Q&A thread

King Chaos said:
Q: My current and main band is called 'Snow'. You think that's a good name?

A: Snowflake is better. For interracial band - fo sho.

Q: Can you safely cite San Andreas here?

Rincewind said:
Q: What kind of music (ok;I know that probably,but I mean specific like death,power etc.) do you play?

A: Electro-reggae.

Q: Do you think that restrooms for handicapped ppl were created only with one purpose - so physically challenged people could go to regular bathrooms and prove on daily basis they are still like all the others?

I'm asking, cuz I always go to a bathroom for handicapped at work... it's silent and quiet and so isolated there... and noone interferes with my acts of masturb... meditation, yeah :)

Rincewind said:
Q: Ever thought of finding real (fat and everything else you like :) ) girl?

A: I don't have time for that :cool: Cuz I'm trying to take over the world.

Q: Ever been to a gay bar? And - is a bar with a gay bartender is a gay bar? Think about it :)

//yeah, I was called sick on another forum yesterday for the first time... seems like a conspiracy to me.. or I'm really sick :D

UndoControl said:
Q: Doesn't it piss you off when people say "America" meaning "the USA" and not actually "the american continent"? In fact, doesn't it piss you off that the people from the USA call themselves "americans" and their country "America" and wipe their asses with the fact that Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, Central America and South America are also part of America?

I dont see your point. I didnt ask if you've ever been to THE AMERICAS, I asked if anyone has ever been to AMERICA, and considering the good ol' USofA is the only country in THE AMERICAS with America in it's name I thought you'd be able to put two and two together, sorry, next time I'll know better :).

A: Yes he is, sick but not ill.

Q: Ever been to America? ;)

Wolfman Von Jones said:
I dont see your point. I didnt ask if you've ever been to THE AMERICAS, I asked if anyone has ever been to AMERICA, and considering the good ol' USofA is the only country in THE AMERICAS with America in it's name I thought you'd be able to put two and two together, sorry, next time I'll know better :).

exactly. and this is why if i ask anyone if they've ever been to "italy", i obviously mean rome, or florence, or venice, or even naples or milan (for the businessmen among us), and not my almost-french-but-not-lucky-enough town. it's pretty easy to understand the meaning behind the words: people asking if you've been to italy want to know whether you ever took a holiday some place nice. :D

A: Yes
Q: What's your favorite kind of weather?

Undo- Monterrey is one of the best coastal cities in California. I really, really, enjoy it there. Glad you like it too. ;)

A: Cold but just slightly humid (i.e. a coastal city in a country that gets at least nine months of snow per year), with a grey sky and a slight breeze that more or less smells of seawater, and those birds which always announce rain.

Q: Yours?

--

plintus: I don't know about Vespucci, but Columbus landed in Cuba the first time and then built la Villa Rica de la Vera Cruz (Veracruz, Mexico). And i really don't see what all that ranting about Latin America, Europe and Asia has anything to do with the "America: continent or country?" discussion. But, to use your example, you don't call the british "europeans" and the rest of the continent by their country names, so why do that here? And "United States of America" is a stupid name; every single country in America is a union of states in America (okay, Canada should be United Provinces of America, then). Calling yourself America when you're just one country in America is as stupid as calling a city Mexico City when it's obviously not the only city in Mexico.

Nick: Read what i said to plintus (above). I can put two and two together, but i cannot conceive a rational explanation for a country putting the name of the continent it's in into its name and then just calling itself like the continent. In my opinion, it just goes to show how the people of the USA are arrogant, selfish and extremely immature.

rahvin: I'm almost positive (about 97.463% positive) that what you said was part of your strange/smart/exquisite humor, but still i feel the need to say that the USA isn't the only nice place in the american continent.

Zack: I do. And the aquarium is amazing. I saw a fish take a bite off a starfish. :)

A: +25 C, 70% humidity, partly cloudy, SSW 5 km/h...

Q: Yours?

UndoControl said:
plintus: I don't know about Vespucci, but Columbus landed in Cuba the first time and then built la Villa Rica de la Vera Cruz (Veracruz, Mexico). And i really don't see what all that ranting about Latin America, Europe and Asia has anything to do with the "America: continent or country?" discussion. But, to use your example, you don't call the british "europeans" and the rest of the continent by their country names, so why do that here? And "United States of America" is a stupid name; every single country in America is a union of states in America (okay, Canada should be United Provinces of America, then). Calling yourself America when you're just one country in America is as stupid as calling a city Mexico City when it's obviously not the only city in Mexico.

If there was a United States of Europe - it's citizens would be europeans. Simple analogy.

Also, try to track where America actually started, why it was called after Amerigo Vespucci and what the circumstances were. Also try taking in the account beginning 18th century and where all the other countries of American continent were at that point (economically and how civilized they were).

I have no facts at hand, but when US proclaimed their independence and all they were the only civilized contry on the continent (all up to date). And historically it happened so, that USA is America now.

Feel free to correct me, I'm passing out and stuff, so will talk to you tomorrow.

But you can call whomever however you want, but make sure ppl will understand what you mean ;)

plintus said:
If there was a United States of Europe - it's citizens would be europeans. Simple analogy.
The difference is that europeans aren't arrogant/stupid/unimaginative enough to make a country and call it the United States of Europe.

plintus said:
Also, try to track where America actually started, why it was called after Amerigo Vespucci and what the circumstances were. Also try taking in the account beginning 18th century and where all the other countries of American continent were at that point (economically and how civilized they were).
Cortez was the first person to really conquer any civilization in America and build cities. Spain actually dominated all of America (except Canada, Brazil and the northern half of the USA). Cortez arrived at America in 1521. Even after Spain had conquered the aztecs and established its dominion over most of the continent, Canada and the northern half of the USA was still inhabited by natives alone. The british arrived in the seventeenth century. So, if you remember your math from elementary school, you'll see that 1607 is greater than 1521 (and thus comes after in the time scale). Granted, the USA was the first piece of land to gain independence from Europe and the most powerful country in America thereafter, but that doesn't give them the right to ignore the existence of the rest of America and call themselves 'americans'. Oh, and it's Americo, not Amerigo. ;)

plintus said:
I have no facts at hand, but when US proclaimed their independence and all they were the only civilized contry on the continent (all up to date). And historically it happened so, that USA is America now.
As i said before, they weren't the only civilized part of America in 1776. They were the last country to be settled/conquered by Europe (along with Canada).

UndoControl said:
Nick: Read what i said to plintus (above). I can put two and two together, but i cannot conceive a rational explanation for a country putting the name of the continent it's in into its name and then just calling itself like the continent. In my opinion, it just goes to show how the people of the USA are arrogant, selfish and extremely immature.

Well try to get in touch with the people who founded the country about 230 years ago (who were more Anglo European than anything) and you'll find your answer. So, in my opinion, it's the Europeans who were arrogant, selfish, and extremely immature :Spin:

If you put it that way, then all "americans" are europeans (british, to be precise), since the puritans who came and settled themselves ended up killing almost every native. But call them "americans" or "europeans"; it doesn't matter; they were still stupid to name their country "the United States of America".

UndoControl said:
If you put it that way, then all "americans" are europeans (british, to be precise), since the puritans who came and settled themselves ended up killing almost every native. But call them "americans" or "europeans"; it doesn't matter; they were still stupid to name their country "the United States of America".

No, when I put it that way Im just saying that it was Europeans who named the country, so you cant call Americans arrogant, blah, blah blah blah on that account. The reason it's the USofA is b/c every state was sort of like it's own small country (had it's own currency, militia, etc,etc) so when many different countries, or states if you will, get together you can say that they have united :D. Do I really need to explain the rest?

Edit: I think it's more unintelligent and arrogant that you think abunch of independent states getting together should be called smth other than The United States ;). Oh, and Amerigo works just fine :).

You don't. I understand that perfectly. But you really could say the same about every other country in the world. Why the fuck isn't every single country called "United States of [insert name here]"? Because it's stupid, unimaginative, confusing, selfish, arrogant and immature. Like i said: the europeans who came killed all the natives, built a country and called it the USA. The people who live there today are either immigrants or the descendants of the european settlers, so why not call them europeans too? Why are only the original settlers europeans?

And "americans" are arrogant. Don't tell me you seriously believe they aren't. The USA is the most arrogant country in the world. :Smug:

UndoControl said:
rahvin: I'm almost positive (about 97.463% positive) that what you said was part of your strange/smart/exquisite humor, but still i feel the need to say that the USA isn't the only nice place in the american continent.

of course i would never imply that. the comparison i wanted to highlight (with bonus irony and resentment towards my hometown) is between how use of language defines the interpretation of words, and not the other way around.

Simply b/c the settlers came from Europe, were born there, and didnt even call themselves Americans :). I was born here, so logic says Im a native. Come on, stop knit picking Undo :).

Speaking of arrogant people, Im sure you'll find plenty close to home :D. Hell we have the right to be arrogant, when you can back it up with huge testicles covered with industry, a 2 trillion dollar yearly budget, and enough atomic weapons to make everyone not very happy ;).

Nick(the dick)