New Opeth Album (#8)

I think the keys in the next album will be minimal and ambient if anything. too many keys = cheese. i don't think opeth is that kind of band honestly.

Keys will definantly be ambient, with smoe piano thrown in for good measure. Thats what I think we can expect, but I'm hoping for some organs and church bells to be mixed in :D

Well, seeing as Per is permanent (not just for touring purposes) and Mikael says on the dvd that he has some ideas that border on black metal moreso than death, I actually am curious to see what it would be like if the keys had a little Dark Tranquillity style (though not as pronounced and synthesized) for small sections, and perhaps maybe a slightly Old Man's Child sound (used exceedingly sparingly, and of course with the trademark Opeth chordal shifts and intervals). Really, though, what I like about Opeth is that it doesn't matter what I think. They'll do their thing and it will blow me away. Everything they do just has that feel and sound.

Also, as a random aside I would love to see a version of Closure where it was all heavy (with their usual distortion) except for the 2:45 - 3:30 section. I've always felt that of all the Damnation songs Closure's first two riffs and the last section are the most reminiscent of heavy Opeth, like they could have done it heavy if they wanted but just chose to do it clean. Since they write everything on acoustic guitar first, that might not be so far off.

If I'm not mistaken, if Mikael had his way, everything would have a mellotron (sp?) somewhere

Dark Thane said:
I think the keys in the next album will be minimal and ambient if anything. too many keys = cheese. i don't think opeth is that kind of band honestly.
If they've hired Per as a full time member why would they use him only for minimal parts, if that was the case I'm sure they wouldn't ask him to be full-time.

George said:
If they've hired Per as a full time member why would they use him only for minimal parts, if that was the case I'm sure they wouldn't ask him to be full-time.

Just because he's in the band doesn't mean he has to play all the time. That would sound really bad.

George said:

By minimal i mean simple parts in the background like on damnation.
i highly doubt after all their albums they're going to bust out with a new album chock full of keys in every song, god i hope not...
see what i'm saying?

I wouldn't mind them using piano, strings, or substituting some ambient guitar effects with various keyboard settings (like what they did with Orchid / Morningrise and what they did later on with the Ebow). Whatever they use is probably going to fit in and make the song more atmospheric and cool.

^What he said.

You guys need to chill the fuck out! I don't know where some of this stuff even comes from. Seriously, a CoB style album? From Opeth? Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. Just be patient little fanboys like the rest of us and get blown off your asses when the new album is actually released.

[KOTNO]Narrot said:
if they want cello on their records they should get a cello-player!

I've heard Yo-Yo Ma might play on a few songs for the new album, actually.

Dark Thane said:
By minimal i mean simple parts in the background like on damnation.
i highly doubt after all their albums they're going to bust out with a new album chock full of keys in every song, god i hope not...
see what i'm saying?
Now that I will agree with you on.