I buried the dead and they came up laughing
I buried the laughter and cried

This garden we’ve planted will come up around us
And take us all down in a great big avalanche
Of useless things, of persistently plastic things,
Of things that cost us this tiny world of tiny kings

I agree, sir.

:kickass:

The problem with Deliverance was the über repetitive songwriting I think. Ghost Reveries had a couple of good tracks, but mostly disappointed. Opeth need to vary their songwriting beyond having five 12 minute songs with the same structure

Hell, they need to cut the songs down to under 6 minutes and stop having acoustic breakdowns for the sake of acoustic breakdowns. In fact, they need to drop the progressive bullshit altogether and stick with more traditional song structures.

well they should mix it up I think. seems they almost have rules on how the songs are "supposed" to be. when you write like that you become ultra predictable. Ghost of Perdition was a great song for instance, but it still sticked to that 10-12 minute formula.

I don't see what the problem with the blasts. Honestly, if no one told anyone that Martin left the band NO ONE would tell the difference. Axe is the perfect replacement, and adding blasts (but not too many) made Lotus that much sweeter.

My problem with Ghost Reveries? The fucking keys! They sound horrible! But it looks like they're at least a little improved on this album. One thing I don't like on Lotus (haven't listened to the others yet) is the constant shift between cleans and growls. I love opeths diversity in that respect, but I really didn't like it in this case.

Overall, I like it, and it seems like an improved followup to Ghost Reveries, however definitely not my fav. But again, that's only judging one song....I'll reserve a full judgement once I've heard the whole thing.

Yes they need to kick that keyboard player the fuck out and go back to e-bow sounding leads ala Stilllife and BWP.

Or get Lars Nedland in the band, he knows what he's doing.

Yes they need to kick that keyboard player the fuck out and go back to e-bow sounding leads ala Stilllife and BWP.

Or get Lars Nedland in the band, he knows what he's doing.

The keyboardist is the one who's giving them an original sound, so he should stay imo

Also I think they should nót go back to their old sound, 'cause we've heard that by now... and well, past is past