New website, new label, new cd?!

They're still writing the new cd so there hasn't been any demo'ing yet that I'm aware of, at least as of the last time Mike & I spoke about ten days ago (and the label stuff began LONG before that). As I understand it, they were signed based on their accomplishments up to this point.

Disappointing, but thanks for the answer jax! :)

and for clarification, disappointing only in the fact that they're not done with the album and are still in the writing phase. Fantastic that they've been making progress on the business end and general excitement to hear the new album once it's out :headbang:

not nearly to that extent. As strange as it is, metal labels USUALLY let the musicians be and just write the album that they would write under any other circumstances. They get signed to a label because the label knows what they sound like, not because the label is creating a group. Remember, this is a legitimate band, not dudes who were put together because they look good and can sing and dance to other people's songs.

also a little surprised about changing labels but whatever

Well it was to be expected. For one thing, Symphony X has been selling very well as of late and as they are getting bigger, there'd be no way for Inside Out to possibly spend the amount of money SymX requires in terms of pressing, promotion, touring, etc alone in addition to studio costs. Secondly, the issue with SPV means that technically SymX could have left the company for contract breach, which would have been the right move. However it's also equally possible that Symphony X only had 2 albums under their contract with Inside Out as well.

The Roadrunner speculation is interesting, and while it is possible, the only A&R guy at Roadrunner with the balls to do it is Mike Gitter who left for Century. He's said on his myspace blog what a fan he is of Paradise Lost so it's possible he signed them for Century too hmm...

not nearly to that extent. As strange as it is, metal labels USUALLY let the musicians be and just write the album that they would write under any other circumstances. They get signed to a label because the label knows what they sound like, not because the label is creating a group. Remember, this is a legitimate band, not dudes who were put together because they look good and can sing and dance to other people's songs.

It may be a self-fulfilling prophecy then, but either way the change would come. Bands signed onto Nuclear Blast and Roadrunner always turn into complete shit, in my opinion.

Roadrunner is crap. There's hardly 3 decent bands on that label, and that's being REALLY generous.

Immortal is on Nuclear Blast and they rule. In fact, there's a fair few bands on that label who have been on it for a while and don't suck. And those who do have been around for a number of albums (Sonata Arctica for example) and have basically taken the natural course that they would have taken, label aside. What about In Flames, a band who turned to shit while on Nuclear Blast but then signing with a different label.... oh yeah, they just turned into even more of a Korn Ripoff after their move.

The label doesn't influence the bands writing. There are so few bands who have maintained any level of quality over the years, let alone sonic consistency. To blame it on the label is silly. Labels are evil, but they don't force bands to put out terrible albums. Unless we're talking about Black Sabbath... then we have much to discuss.

Roadrunner is crap. There's hardly 3 decent bands on that label, and that's being REALLY generous.

Immortal is on Nuclear Blast and they rule. In fact, there's a fair few bands on that label who have been on it for a while and don't suck. And those who do have been around for a number of albums (Sonata Arctica for example) and have basically taken the natural course that they would have taken, label aside. What about In Flames, a band who turned to shit while on Nuclear Blast but then signing with a different label.... oh yeah, they just turned into even more of a Korn Ripoff after their move.

The label doesn't influence the bands writing. There are so few bands who have maintained any level of quality over the years, let alone sonic consistency. To blame it on the label is silly. Labels are evil, but they don't force bands to put out terrible albums. Unless we're talking about Black Sabbath... then we have much to discuss.

I agree. Symphony X was always about the music and they simply put out good stuff. If Romeo doesn't like TIO because it was "rushed" then I'm really excited to see what they're going to do with more resources and support.

It doesn't have to be the label forcing them, though. The label clearly expects a certain type of output, and the band going to that label knows it and conforms to it. Or, they go to the label because that's the type of output they are ready to make, hence why do many bands on the same label sound alike.

Just as a couple examples. When Dream Theater moved to Roadrunner, it was pretty obvious you could stick a fork in them. And lo and behold, their last 2 albums have been the worst of their career, and no way are they ever going to improve while on Roadrunner. Roadrunner encourages shitty, watered-down nu metal-tinged garbage, and DT seems happy to meet their expectations. I know a lot of people here will hate me for saying this, but Opeth as well. Though I never really liked them, after a band gets on Roadrunner you can just kiss it goodbye.

Same with Nuclear Blast and Nightwish. Do I think the labels are holding guns to the musicians heads? No. But one way or another, it happens. And if SX moved to one of those two, I would be *extremely* surprised if they continued to make albums as good as V or even as good as PL for that matter.

Well I do have news relating to an old member of Symphony X you might of heard of... TOM MILLER :p

Ok this of course is just rumor... but for all I know it could be true. Theres a fan club on Facebook where a guy who was friends with him in high school had just got in contact with him, and apparently he is working on a solo release(again this could be bogus but damnit Im sure other Miller fans are getting chubs hearing this as well!)

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=107684368701&ref=mf#wall

Heh I posted on that Tom Miller page hahaha. Pretty cool.

Zach, yes Immortal does rule. And for Symphony X to go onto Metal Blade would be VERY strange.

It doesn't have to be the label forcing them, though. The label clearly expects a certain type of output, and the band going to that label knows it and conforms to it. Or, they go to the label because that's the type of output they are ready to make, hence why do many bands on the same label sound alike.

I can tell you personally, that yes, Roadrunner are indeed nazis that have told their bands how/what to play etc, usually these bands are new upstart bands and not legacy bands like Megadeth. The idea of a label telling a larger band who sells lots of records how to sound is hilariously wrong. They could take their business elsewhere. DT had other offers before signing to RR.

And lo and behold, their last 2 albums have been the worst of their career

1075479-well_that_s_just_like_your_opinion_man_super.jpg

Same with Nuclear Blast and Nightwish. Do I think the labels are holding guns to the musicians heads? No. But one way or another, it happens. And if SX moved to one of those two, I would be *extremely* surprised if they continued to make albums as good as V or even as good as PL for that matter.

Nightwish isn't signed to Nuclear Blast for one thing. They are still on Spinefarm and Nuclear has them for a license in Europe just like Roadrunner has them for a license in the US. And for another, as I said, Nightwish sells alot of records. At that point, a label can't really have a say in the matter because it depends on these sales. A label pissing off a band like Nightwish, who does gangbusters in Europe, would be very stupid. Your last sentence is hilarious because once again, it's based on your opinion. You can't quantify "good" or "bad."

Oh pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee don't fall back on that "its your opinion" junk. It's apparent with or without him saying "in my opinion" that whatever he is typing is his opinion unless he states a fact, of which you would know if it's a fact or not. Thats what a good English teacher taught me.. theres no need to say "in my opinion" because you're the writer.. of course it's your opinion.

I think that record labels do effect the bands/artists. Sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. It's rare in today's music where a band has complete creative control while being on a huge record label with tons of promotion. You have to make music that sells in order to get that kind of promotion.

I dont really think DTs recent albums had much to do with the label. Roadrunner probably gives them pretty much free reign to do what they want. SC is probably one of their worst if not THE worst album they ever put out, but I happen to like BC&SL for the most part. The time in their career when they were hounded by the record company the most was during the recording/writing of FII and you can CLEARLY tell how much the record company fucked shit up. If you have ever heard the demo version of that album, it is actually WAY better than the studio version.

Anyway, I know lots of people love to hate on DT here so it doesnt really matter. Also, Opeth's recent stuff is still good. Their worst albums are the first 3, at least for me anyway. My favorite album by them is Damnation.

In any case, I doubt Symphony X is going to let the record company push them around too much. The next album will probably be high quality as always.