Produce the next Opeth?

• Jens Bogren

Votes: 47 23.4%
  • Steven Wilson

Votes: 128 63.7%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 26 12.9%

• Total voters
Opeth don't need SW to sound good. That said he's had a nice touch on the albums Opeth did with him.
I agree with a lot of the positive things said about Bogren too.
I guess since Ghost Reveries is my favourite Opeth album, I'd prefer they do most of the 'producing' themselves.

There's strong points for either case, but personally I'd prefer Opeth do something unexpected for their next album as always.

can someone tell me the difference b/w producing and engineering, and does SW do both?

The job of the producer is to sit back on the couch and essentially direct the band. It gets tricky, obviously, cause the band knows what they want to sound like (or at least thinks they know), and the producer usually has their own vision. Magic starts to happen when both artist and producer start working together.

Engineer is the guy who twiddles the knobs so that producer/artist doesn't have to worry about any of that crap, and they can just play.

Musician = actor
Engineer = cameraman
Producer = director

Obviously, you can have dual roles. Mike can be both director (or co-director) and act at the same time, whereas Jens or Steve can direct while manning the camera.

It's funny...I love Porcupine Tree and I dig a lot of what SW did with Blackfield. But for some reason, Blackwater Park and Deliverance are the two Opeth albums that I listen to the least (With the exception of Orchid, I suppose). I have to agree wtih Chinese Whispers, that the production on Ghost Reveries is much more appealing to my ears then BP. But...if Opeth gets SW into the studio, maybe we can be one step closer to getting Portnoy in there with Mike and Steven (And call up Tony Levin to sit in on bass? If they were to cut an album, I would buy it site unseen).

Oh well....as long as they stay away from Bob Rock, I guess we're safe. LOL.

I have a feeling SW will return on the next album...but
I wonder if the addition of Per would affect his willingness to do so ???

Regardless I'm a big fan of his production skills

Why should it matter ? I mean... Steven is more of a Guitarist then a Piano player as I see it.

Anyway - I think Steven Wilson is a much better fit to Opeth.
I must disagree about the comment Moonlapse posted before, about SW's trails left behind his work.

Hearing more keyboards on the next album would definetly be nice. So far all the songs have been constructed around Mikael's guitar lines. It would be nice to hear some piano led parts as well with the guitars adding some atmosphere to it, not the other way around. In this sense having Wilson producing it would be great, he knows how to use great keyboard sounds.

Hearing more keyboards on the next album would definetly be nice. So far all the songs have been constructed around Mikael's guitar lines. It would be nice to hear some piano led parts as well with the guitars adding some atmosphere to it, not the other way around. In this sense having Wilson producing it would be great, he knows how to use great keyboard sounds.

Hessian Peel is keyboard heavy to my ears. More of that you mean?

Sure there are a lot of keyboards but its not keyboard driven. They add nuances and atmosphere and some nice "riffs" here and there but its very much a guitar driven band/song.