NFL 2008

Regular season winning percentage in TB was 55.6%. You have to take into account he completely turned that entire franchise around and was the sole reason they won a Super Bowl.

Regular season winning percentage in Indy was 75.9%.

All together his regular season winning percentage was 66.8%. Post season winning percentage (while being kind of stupid because if you don't win the Super Bowl it doesn't matter) was 47.4%.

Not including the plethora of records he set as a head coach.

Man I'm not going to lie, when I watched the press conference I started getting choked up so bad I almost had to turn the tv off. It's really a sad but yet happy day for any Colts fan. It's a shame I never had the opportunity to meet him. But nevertheless, thanks a lot Tony for all the great memories. Farewell.

a4s_dungy011309_52495c.jpg

Give me one reason why, and please refrain from the "he didn't win 25829582958 super bowls" argument.

Well, those SB's kinda mean something last I checked...the elites do have a few of them. On the other hand, f-in Blanton Collier has one of the best winning percentages as well, so regardless...

I think a longer tenure (more than 7yr.s) with the Colts and what I think would've be a good chance of winning 1-2 more titles...compile more than just a 7-6 playoff record, 9-10 overall. Only then he gets mentioned in the elite group.
I know he's your guy and all but I think you are looking through with blue blinders here. I know of his records, win percentages and all the good that he has accomplished, even what he did in Tampa...still he lands in the very good and I'll even say close to great category, but not the elite. This isn't knocking the man or taking anything away from Dungy...it just is what it is and how he will be looked upon by the overall public, etc. The classy man that he is, some of the hard times and tragedy he has endured raises his stature but only to a point and in a different light.

Look on line everywhere, the sport sites, rankings, polls the alltime greats list etc. Some of these are compiled from yahoos but mainly from the so-called experts. Dungy is hardly mentioned near the handful of elites. Walsh, Landry, Noll, Halas, Lombardi to name a few and yes even Belichick. With his many playoff wins, what he did in masterminding a defense that basically won the Giants thier titles..of course his three titles with the Pats. Right or wrong, like him or not, asterisk or not, spy-gate...as much as I think he tarnished his legacy to a point as well? The fact is Belichick brings the resume now to be mentioned with the elites. We can even take him out of the discussion if you want, its not going to change his or Dungy's place.

Honestly, the people who name Belichick as "one of the greats" are complete morons. The only reason they even bring him up is because of the 3 Super Bowls he won in NE. But yet, and I knew this shit was going to happen, they all decide to shrug off the cheating he did like it never happened. I don't care what you, or anyone else says, he cheated. No one knows to what extent he did, but the fact is, he cheated. And in my opinion, that's pathetic and completely tarnishes anything you've ever done.

What you seem to be forgetting about Belichick is that fact that he worked for one of the greatest coaches ever in Bill Parcells. His success in NY had more to do with Parcells than his own "genius." Want some evidence? Ok, you got it:

The Cleveland Browns.

Yeah, he sure did a great job there didn't he? The Browns were actually a storied and respectable franchise, and he had only 1 winning season. Tony Dungy on the other hand, took arguably the worst franchise in NFL history, and make them a perennial contender year in and year out. So who do I think is the better coach? Yeah, you guessed it, Tony Dungy.

You know what I wonder? I wonder what Norv Turner's future will be. Not "will he have a job next season", because it seems he will. But more about his legacy going forward. His two seasons with the Chargers have provided mixed feelings. They got in the playoffs both seasons, but not at all convincingly this one. I don't feel they they choked in the playoffs either year. They had injuries and were just out played. I don't see the Chargers' play calling as all that amazing. I just don't see him going down as a great coach. But maybe he will learn how to be great. Or maybe he is taking a bunch of talented guys and keeping them below their potential.

You got any insight, King?

I think bringing Norv back as a coach is a mistake. He took a power running team and turned them into a pass happy team. The problem is, their TE has been their leading receiver the past 2 years and that's not good. So clearly his shift from rushing to passing hasn't gone well. LT is on the decline and needs to be replaced, as evidenced by him being constantly injured and even when healthy, he's had poor production. Yes he's taken them to the playoffs and won a couple games, but he took a 14-2 team and turned them into a 10-6 team, to an 8-8 team, and they just keep declining. The only reason they even made the playoffs was more due to the fact that the Broncos are just horrible, as opposed to them actually being a well rounded and great team.

He's going to go down as a terrible coach who got lucky in a couple of playoff games. Unless San Diego wins or goes to a Super Bowl next year, he'll be just as known for this as he is for Washington and Oakland.

He has a better legacy as an OC

There is such a thing as being promoted above your ability level. I think Turner and Phillips are excellent examples of this. Just because someone is an amazing coordinator on their respective sides of the ball doesn't mean they will be a good head coach.

He's going to go down as a terrible coach who got lucky in a couple of playoff games. Unless San Diego wins or goes to a Super Bowl next year, he'll be just as known for this as he is for Washington and Oakland.

He has a better legacy as an OC

I don't think he got "lucky" in a couple of playoff games. The Chargers team earned their wins. But other than that, I get what you're saying.

There is such a thing as being promoted above your ability level. I think Turner and Phillips are excellent examples of this. Just because someone is an amazing coordinator on their respective sides of the ball doesn't mean they will be a good head coach.

I can see that, but what are the stats on coaches maturing, learning and becoming better? You see some players develop into better players. Or do you think it is more of a "got it" or "don't got it" type of thing?

Well very rarely do you see an amazing coach who wasn't tutored by a former great.
The Walsh's and Landry's etc are now the tops "family trees" of coaching, and if you look around the league the majority of coaches who excel coached or played under them or someone who played/coached under them. Especially Walsh.
But even all that aside, excelling at game strategy and managing the various facets of team organization are two different things and just because you don't excel at the latter isn't necessarily a knock in my book, just do what you're good at.
So yeah, while I do believe coaches improve like players do, with experience and tutoring, I do believe that they, like everyone else, have a cap on various abilities.

Agreed.

On a side note. There's a high school down the road from my apartments, and I've known the football coach for just a little while. We aren't drinking buddies or anything but we know each other. Well, he offered me a position on his coaching staff for next season as an assistant. Basically doing what the coach wants me to do. Like, working on fundamentals with the kids, conditioning and all that jazz.

My question to you all is, should I do it? I'm not getting paid to do this, but it's something that could be really interesting to do. What are everyone's thoughts?

If you are good with kids (that is, you like them and have patience) then I would go for it. You obviously have a lot of knowledge of football. I think there is a lot of personal fulfillment in doing stuff like that. Just don't do it if you think you would get too into it and competitive, to the point where you start pushing the kids way beyond the point where they are having fun. Yeah, hard work is one thing, but it can be taken too far. And also only commit if you can really commit. You don't want to leave them half way through the season. You can also meet some nice mommies that way.

OK, I re-read what you wrote. It's high school. I was thinking little kids. But anyway, it could still be a great thing, and you never know what it could turn into.

Typical. Belichick and Patriots haters bringing up this Spygate bullshit. Where do you think game film comes from? And maybe if people would actually read about what was actually taped at that Pats vs. Jets game they would realize that was not in fact cheating. How can you cheat when you can't even see the tape, and ONE half of ONE quarter was only taped??

Typical. Belichick and Patriots haters bringing up this Spygate bullshit. Where do you think game film comes from? And maybe if people would actually read about what was actually taped at that Pats vs. Jets game they would realize that was not in fact cheating. How can you cheat when you can't even see the tape, and ONE half of ONE quarter was only taped??

I think you need to go back and check the facts brother. Everything you just said is a bunch of nonsense.

Agreed.

On a side note. There's a high school down the road from my apartments, and I've known the football coach for just a little while. We aren't drinking buddies or anything but we know each other. Well, he offered me a position on his coaching staff for next season as an assistant. Basically doing what the coach wants me to do. Like, working on fundamentals with the kids, conditioning and all that jazz.

My question to you all is, should I do it? I'm not getting paid to do this, but it's something that could be really interesting to do. What are everyone's thoughts?

Do it!!! I would kill to be a coach. When I get out of school, I'll hopefully be able to get a job @ my old high school teaching history, so I can be an assistant coach as well. Unfortunately I can never be a head coach because I'm too small and don't command enough respect with my physical presence:(

Also, like they said, you never know what could come of it.

Yeah you should definitely do it. I played football for four years in high school and it was great. I would love to be an offensive coordinator or some shit.