NFL 2008

The '76 Buccaneers were winless and are widely regarded as the worst team ever. They, however, only went 0-14 and were in their franchise's inaugural season. Unlike the hapless Lions, who have had 60+ years of existence to develop this team.

New or old...that Bucs team was the worst...most pathetic. I love the old NFL films...when the coach pretty much admits that this was the worst team ever in sports!

The Lions are as you say the most hapless existing team. So many picks...so little results.

I contend the Rams are worse than the Lions. They are losing by 30 in the first quarter every game. Obviously they have 2 more wins, but a Lions v. Rams game is something I would actually watch.

Mathiäs;7855179 said:
I contend the Rams are worse than the Lions. They are losing by 30 in the first quarter every game. Obviously they have 2 more wins, but a Lions v. Rams game is something I would actually watch.

The Rams at least have some semblance of talent on their team. The Lions have to be the sorriest collection of talent that I have ever seen in the NFL. I think there are at least 5 college teams that could beat the Lions right now. That is in no way a joke, there might be more than 5 that could beat them.
Detroit v. University of Texas would be a game I would watch, most definitely.
On a neutral field, I would have the Longhorns at -3.

I found this article by Mickey Spagnola pretty interesting. It gives me hope in a game I thought was a sure loss, at least.

Hmmm, look at this. The Cowboys come into this game with the NFL’s eighth-ranked offense, and that despite two of those games the Cowboys played without Romo they failed to produce more than 183 yards. Well, I see Pittsburgh has beaten only two teams this year which currently have a Top 10 offense, the Patriots now ranked ninth and Houston, of all teams, fifth but in the opener. Five of their other wins came against teams ranked no higher than 19th. And, two of their three losses were to the fourth-ranked Giants and seventh-ranked Eagles. And while Indy has the 22nd-ranked offense, Pittsburgh’s other loss, the Colts rank seventh throwing the ball.

Those statistics are kind of warped. The Steelers lost to the Eagles primarily because they had a massive failure on the offensive line and they got sacked like 150 times. They lost to the Giants because of a botched punt snap resulting in a safety and a short field for the Giants to drive, plus Roethlisberger coping with serious pass-effecting injuries. The latter also applies to their loss to the Colts. The Steelers are a different team than they were in those loses, as are the teams they lost/won to. For example, they embarrassed the Giants running game, which is the best in the league. They stopped Cassel, throwing two picks and no touchdowns and only 169 yards iirc, after going two games in a row with over 400 yards. They have stifled almost all of the major players they have faced this season. They lead the lead in sacks. Polamalu leads the league in picks. They have the best defense in the league. They haven't allowed a single opponent 300 yards of offense yet. Unless Roethlisberger plays like he did mid-season, I don't think the Steelers will lose this game, and I don't think that he will, because he's healthier, and he's also been playing smarter. Of course the Cowboys are on fire right now, but they've been playing crappy teams as well. I do expect it to be a great game though.

It could really go either way. I think we all agree that the Steelers have the better defense, and the Cowboys have a better offense, and their offense/defense is pretty good, but nothing special. It's going to be a good game.

edit: If I were a betting man though, I'd take the Steelers -2.5 at home.

It could really go either way. I think we all agree that the Steelers have the better defense, and the Cowboys have a better offense, and their offense/defense is pretty good, but nothing special. It's going to be a good game.

edit: If I were a betting man though, I'd take the Steelers -2.5 at home.

hmm?

Just the Cowboys offense is clearly fucking awful, only reason they win games is because their offense torches everything that they see.

Their defense is actually pretty damn good. They don't have great statistics because of those games where our offense couldn't move the ball and the D was on the field for 35 minutes+ in those games, in mostly terrible field position.
Take out 2 touchdowns in garbage time against SF, and we've only allowed 1 TD in the past 3 games. Not to mention the D won a game two weeks earlier when the offense only gained 172 yards. The only hiccup we've had defensively lately is the Giant game, in which 21 of the points were off turnovers, and the last touchdown was in garbage time.
Not to mention that we're 2nd in the league in sacks behind Pittsburgh.

From the sound of the field conditions and the state of the Pittsburgh offense and defense, I think this game is going to be reminiscent of the 3-0 Pittsburgh-Miami crapfest last year. I see about a 14-10 Pittsburgh victory, but it wouldn't shock me if Dallas won.
It also wouldn't shock me if Romo's ability to avoid pressure exploits the weaker Pittsburgh secondary, and Dallas is the first team to run 300 on Pittsburgh.

As that article said, Dallas has put up 300 or more yards of offense in 24 of 27 games that Romo has played in fully, including every game this year, but his first one back from the injury.
It's pretty much the ultimate strength on strength game.

Pittsburgh doesn't have a weak secondary, especially with McFadden returning this week.

It's not as strong as the rest of the Steelers' D (other than Polamalu, who is pretty much just a freak... I swear, it's like there's 5 of him out there) and it's definitely not strong enough to cover the Cowboys' weapons for any length of time if they can't get pressure. Tbh, I think this game comes down to the Steelers' pressure and ability to cause turnovers. If Dallas commits less than 2 turnovers, I think they win.
I can see a Choice fumble and a Romo INT being the 2 turnovers, and thus my prediction of a Steeler victory.