NFL 2012

I think its definitely the complexity of the sport. Some people hardly understand the basics, the positions on the field, the rules, the technique and the amount of detail that goes into one game.

I, like probably most of you, have been watching Football since I was around 10 years old, and even before that my Father was a major influence growing up. Every Sunday was Football!

Football is second nature in my family and our sports culture.

Yeh I've only taken to it in like the last six months with constant insistence from people who know I'm a sports mad sort of dude

Really things I struggle with are... the lingo, how often the game stops and starts and being an Aussie rules supporter I think the helmets and armor are a bit over the top.

But overall I find it more a little accessible than Rugby but it's still a very drawn out thing you need to have tons patience for watching a whole game when you first start out, it's got some interesting personalities and some tricky plays and just the general bigness of it all is pretty cool.

Will it ever be able to compete in a market like Australia.... no, why? it's not fast paced enough, a game can take a long time to complete and sometimes not a lot happens until the 4th qtr.

But watching a game like the Giants/Cowboys game last weekend well there's not much more you could want from a good sporting contest.

Just curious because I was reading on the bleacher report about the NFL failing to capitalize on the growing global market and I was wondering how the general NFL fan felt about the NFL wanting to expand outside the US and why you think it hasn't really taken off overseas already?

Why not? I enjoy watching European soccer, so if other people in the world are interested in US game then great! And if they play a game in England, Germany or Japan instead of a half full stadium in Tampa or Jacksonville, then I don't see a problem with that.

Equipment needed for organized youth/amateur soccer: Soccer ball, 2 goals.
Equipment needed for organized youth/amateur (American) football: 22+ sets of pads/helmets, first down markers, goal posts, football, etc etc.

This is prohibitive for the sport to gain a foothold in markets where there is not already demand.

Plus, the complexity and nuance that goes into the play calling and positional technique is way over the head of the casual viewer or player.

Equipment needed for organized youth/amateur soccer: Soccer ball, 2 goals.
Equipment needed for organized youth/amateur (American) football: 22+ sets of pads/helmets, first down markers, goal posts, football, etc etc.

This is prohibitive for the sport to gain a foothold in markets where there is not already demand.

Plus, the complexity and nuance that goes into the play calling and positional technique is way over the head of the casual viewer or player.

Yes, that's why its difficult to integrate into other cultures worldwide, but it certainly doesn't make it impossible. Baseball involves a lot equipment and nuanced rules. Nonetheless its caught on in South America and Asia.

A bat, ball and some mitts are a lot cheaper than all the protective equipment football requires.

Also, drawing up plays and all 11 people understanding their function within each play and remembering the assignment in every situation and retaining even a small playbook is not easy.

Edit: Between ages 6-12, my brother and I won almost every pickup football game we ever played, because we had about 6 routes with callsigns set up. I would QB and he would play receiver. It didn't matter much the size/speed of the other kids we were playing because he knew where he was going and when the ball was coming and etc. And that was in the US, when all the kids had the same opportunity to check out football books from the library and watch it on sunday, etc.

And that was in the US, when all the kids had the same opportunity to check out football books from the library and watch it on sunday, etc.

I agree with your post, but I think you are overestimating the thirst for knowledge possessed by the average kid in the U.S. Especially those interested in sports.

On the topic of NFL football, former Chicago Bears wide receiver Sam Hurd was arrested and is facing federal drug charges. Supposedly Hurd wanted a supplier to provide him with 5 to 10 kilograms of cocaine and 1,000 lbs of marijuana every week. It will be interesting to see if any NFL players are on Sam Hurd's customer list.

The 3rd "Swing and a miss" on Bears pickups from ex-Cowboy trash. lulz

No, I am not overestimating a thirst. I know it's not there. My point was that if it's that bad in a country with access, that explains the lack of traction in other countries.

Well there are American football leagues in Germany and Japan and there probably others I don't know about. The German league has been around since 1979 so there must be at least some subculture that is into it there. My point is, there are leagues around the world, so there is at least a small market the NFL can exploit and expand upon.

NFL.com has the most annoying football broadcast format ever. You don't even actually get to watch the game. It's all talking and highlight replays.

being an Aussie rules supporter I think the helmets and armor are a bit over the top.

I believe you underestimate the size and power of the people trying to stop you. They're going to fucking hurt you, even with all that crap on.

I believe you underestimate the size and power of the people trying to stop you. They're going to fucking hurt you, even with all that crap on.

Lol nah dude I play AFL it's full contact and I've wrecked a knee, broken a jaw, nose and fibula also lost a tooth. I think all the gear is unnessecary purely coz I spent five years at small forward getting the shit beaten outta me by 6' 5 back men.

A weekend of upsets was bound to happen. I'm kinda surprised that it happened this late in the season though.
Fuck the Bears. Glad I didn't waste any time watching their game today.:puke: Clean house starting Lovie Gump and Jerry Angelo.

Overwatch you are right on the mark with your comments about the Bears sifting from the Cowboys trash this season. I'm going to be pissed if they don't make a concerted effort to improve the offensive line and wide receiving corps before next season. Then of course there is the aging linebackers. At least the Blackhawks are playing well:lol:

With the patchwork line the Packers are left with, their slumping defense, and their banged up receivers, the team I am more concerned with facing in the playoffs is now the Saints.

Edit:

Every
Lovely
Interception

:D

Without Cutler and Forte, the Bears could easily be the worst team in the NFL. I'm pretty sure they'd lose to the Colts right now. I overestimated Hanie's competence by a lot. He's really a disaster.

I'm not wasting my time watching another Giant game. Fuck them.

I'd rather jerk off for 3 hours and feel that shame instead of the fucking shame I feel for the pathetic piece of shit defense & coaching staff I'm watching.