Official GMD Photo/Social Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Touche. I agree that the board is riddled with one line chat style lines; the quandry is: does this make the board more approachable to new users (as is, I believe, the aim), or by nature of the "chat" does it become more exclusionary?

In any case, does de-robing the forum of the thin veneer of icy arrogance necessarily mean that the more established members feel the need to criticise without attempting to improve the overall quality of posting?

Carcassian said:
Touche. I agree that the board is riddled with one line chat style lines; the quandry is: does this make the board more approachable to new users (as is, I believe, the aim), or by nature of the "chat" does it become more exclusionary?

This informal, contentless style will attract the largest amount of users, but they won't contribute anything of quality. That may be what the owners of the forum are shooting for; I have no idea. I greatly prefer posting on forums with people who make intelligent, considered posts, even if they are few in number.

In any case, does de-robing the forum of the thin veneer of icy arrogance necessarily mean that the more established members feel the need to criticise without attempting to improve the overall quality of posting?

I don't understand your sentence, but I will respond as best I can.

I look at this forum and I am not inspired to resurrect it. I feel approximately as compelled to undertake that endeavor as to sign up for myspace and contribute to their forums.

On your latter retort: this is a shame. You feel sufficiently aggrieved to criticise the current state of posts, yet seem content not to do anything about it. In this state, you take the position of a critic wh lambasts the status quo yet without any form of suggestion or action to make anything significantly better.

So, in pointing out what is patently obvious to those of us with the ability to comprehend, yet seemingly inable or unwilling to constructively participate, what exactly was the point of your post?

On your latter retort: this is a shame. You feel sufficiently aggrieved to criticise the current state of posts, yet seem content not to do anything about it. In this state, you take the position of a critic wh lambasts the status quo yet without any form of suggestion or action to make anything significantly better.

I am doing something about it. I am posting on other forums where posters make informative or at least entertaining posts. You need to understand that posting on message boards is not my occupation. Turning this board around is simply not high on my list of priorities. Furthermore, I am one poster. The influx of low-quality posters would quickly overwhelm my input. Do you think I will attempt to recruit intelligent people to this forum? First, it is not that important to me. Second, what's the sell? "Come post at ultimatemetal.com. The posts are vacuous one-liners, but you can spare the time." The type of forum this has become is exclusionary. It excludes a segment of posters: the ones who take time to type thoughtful posts, which are more than one sentence long.

So, in pointing out what is patently obvious to those of us with the ability to comprehend, yet seemingly inable or unwilling to constructively participate, what exactly was the point of your post?

I believe you have touched on my point. I.e., the lack users "with the ability to comprehend." Most of them have no idea that the forum sucks.

Demiurge said:
Metal Paddy should be banned. He uses too many emoticons and is a dullard.

I agree that he seldomly will post a coherant and meaningful post. But he makes me laugh and brightens up my day sometimes with his drunkeness, so i say let him stay

regardless of the state of this forum i really like it here, all the regs here are cool and knowledgable and, when serious questions are asked, do post serious responses.
I think if you look at most threads where they turn to shit after about 5 posts they do so becuase some idiot who consistantly goes about ruining threads, ie/Al bubdy/Consuming impulse, will post stupid remarks that turn into constant bagging and such. Either that or a n00b comes on and jst gets flamed to the fuckhouse for posting things like Korn is teh shit and what have you.

Danallica said:
regardless of the state of this forum i really like it here, all the regs here are cool and knowledgable and, when serious questions are asked, do post serious responses.

I don't know why people comlain so much half the time, this forum is great. Sure people post stupid things, but it hardly ruins it.

Demiurge, if you have a better forum and do not want to help this one, why did you even take the time to post your complaints here? It just shows that you want to complain and put the forum down.

As for me, I enjoy this forum a lot, and realize there are many great posters and people who post seriously. However a completely serious board would get boring real fast, so I'm glad we have some comedy and fun on this board too. If you don't like it, go to your other forum.

cookiecutter said:
Demiurge, if you have a better forum and do not want to help this one, why did you even take the time to post your complaints here? It just shows that you want to complain and put the forum down.

My point exactly.

Yeah, so you think the forum sucks. I think that cricket sucks, but I don't feel the urge to drive down to lords to picket at the gates telling the fans that.

Demiurge said:
Metal Paddy should be banned. He uses too many emoticons and is a dullard.

....People that post bullshit things like paddy are a must to keep this place from getting over serious and boring. Sure talk serious about the metal but bring some laughs along with it. You must take life too seriously man if you think humour shouldn't be brought into an online forum, this isn't a microsft online board meeting discussing the next windows, this is METAL :headbang:

A picture of my wife. She's quite tasty and sits in shelf.

B0007D8DUO.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

... and

Gorement > God Macabre

Demiurge said:
This informal, contentless style will attract the largest amount of users, but they won't contribute anything of quality. That may be what the owners of the forum are shooting for; I have no idea.
It is!

Leiland said:
....People that post bullshit things like paddy are a must to keep this place from getting over serious and boring. Sure talk serious about the metal but bring some laughs along with it. You must take life too seriously man if you think humour shouldn't be brought into an online forum, this isn't a microsft online board meeting discussing the next windows, this is METAL :headbang:

He's not funny, though. All he does is use a lot of emoticons and type incoherent messages. His posts are all the same. If he amuses you, then you're probably filled with awe by shiny coins.

Demiurge said:
He's not funny, though. All he does is use a lot of emoticons and type incoherent messages. His posts are all the same. If he amuses you, then you're probably filled with awe by shiny coins.
If you don't find him to be humorous, then put him on your ignore list. That is what the list is there for. Don't call for his ban. That's what the mods are there for.
By the way, if he were truly idiotic and annoying, he would already be banned. We've had a huge rash of idiots plauging the forum, and he is extremely knowledgable and open-minded.
How far did you dig for his posts, anyway? The fucker's on vacation. He hasn't been on all week.

ender7227 said:
If you don't find him to be humorous, then put him on your ignore list. That is what the list is there for. Don't call for his ban. That's what the mods are there for.
By the way, if he were truly idiotic and annoying, he would already be banned. We've had a huge rash of idiots plauging the forum, and he is extremely knowledgable and open-minded.
How far did you dig for his posts, anyway? The fucker's on vacation. He hasn't been on all week.

true actually, Paddy is always respectful and takes into account other people's opinions on bands.

Status
Not open for further replies.