Official Horrible Television Thread

Blurry_Dreams

Apr 2, 2018
ITT
when you watch (or hear about) something horrible happening on TV
bitch about it HERE,
instead of complaining in the Good Telivision thread

Soap operas. Endlessly long-running sagas of an entourage of whiny characters who find new ways to fuck up their lives over and over again, getting older and fatter without really growing up. No idea how my parents extract any enjoyment whatsoever from Coronation Street.

Reactions: CiG
The worst is the never-ending recycling of dumb tropes, like character goes into coma, loses memory, awakens and returns while everyone worries about when their memory will return and someone will be in trouble for something.

Or someone "dies" and then returns mysteriously.

But look on the positive side. If you like those sort of shows and stop watching for a few years the only things that have changed when you go back are the character names.

I don't know about overseas but here Neighbours and Home & Away have shared the same writers for years, some quit one and go to the other, some work on both. They also rely heavily on previous stars to do all sorts of work. Dr. Terrance Elliot (I can't remember his real name) from Country Practice in the 80's went on to write for both Neighbours and H&A in the 00's. Hardly surprising how many stories come back.

"MTV's Undressed"
it was supposed to be a "soap opera for a younger generation"
it was still a soap opera and still crap

I don't know about overseas but here Neighbours and Home & Away have shared the same writers for years, some quit one and go to the other, some work on both. They also rely heavily on previous stars to do all sorts of work. Dr. Terrance Elliot (I can't remember his real name) from Country Practice in the 80's went on to write for both Neighbours and H&A in the 00's. Hardly surprising how many stories come back.

Tangentially related but what do you reckon about Blue Heelers?

neighbours started in 85 and home and away started in 88
the soap operas currently on american telivision are way the fuck older than that

Tangentially related but what do you reckon about Blue Heelers?

I didn't watch it much but it did give a lot of Aussie actors a break while kicking others already kicking career along. I suppose in many ways the story lines of Blue Heelers were just an extension of The Flying Doctors in a different setting. I think as TV shows they were important for our local industry (which is pretty fucked now) and they were the sort of shows you could just sit down and watch without much thought. For years when we only had 2 tv channels it was shows like A Country Practice, Blue Heelers, and Flying Doctors that got watched because in 7:30 timeslot it was them or the ABC.

the soap operas currently on american telivision are way the fuck older than that

And?

I didn't watch it much but it did give a lot of Aussie actors a break while kicking others already kicking career along. I suppose in many ways the story lines of Blue Heelers were just an extension of The Flying Doctors in a different setting. I think as TV shows they were important for our local industry (which is pretty fucked now) and they were the sort of shows you could just sit down and watch without much thought. For years when we only had 2 tv channels it was shows like A Country Practice, Blue Heelers, and Flying Doctors that got watched because in 7:30 timeslot it was them or the ABC.

I don't think I ever actually watched Flying Doctors but A Country Practice for sure. As a kid I had a crush on Lisa McCune so I used to watch Blue Heelers whenever it came on lmao but recently I saw the full series was on Amazon Prime, thinking about checking it out again as I've been really nostalgic lately for pre-00's Aussie TV.

Reactions: Slammed
Lisa was pretty cute and did make Blue Heelers worth watching. If I watched Flying Doctors it was for Rebecca Gibney, I still watch shows with her in them just to see her!

I used to watch earlier shows like Cop Shop and Prisoner. I also watched Bluey but that show was so much better when the D Generation got hold of it in the 80's. Then came shows like Water Rats and Good guys Bad Guys.

sorry i wasn't clear here
my point was that these american soap operas are so fucking old that they cant possibly be good anymore
most of the characters end up on the show for a whole decade or more
with no lesbian characters, every female becomes pregnant with the whole
soap-opera-rapid-aging syndrome thing for every single baby
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soap_opera_rapid_aging_syndrome
so that every new character is either the child of a pair of previous characters or a character from another soap that's moved from one fictional city to another

Yeah she's still not bad looking. Her Hellifax mini series are okay but when she breaks out the toughness and rips a suspect a new one it improves any story :)

If I watched Flying Doctors it was for Rebecca Gibney, I still watch shows with her in them just to see her.
this makes me think of the straight guys and lesbians who watch Avengers movies because they think Scarlett Johansson is sexy
so for them
MCU is finnally making a Black Widow movie

she-hulk-twerk-she-hulk-megan-thee-stallion.gif

She-Hulk onlyfans when?

I overhear Todd Boyce on Coro Street once in a while, and by fuck does he have the worst accent ever. One article says he's just using his "real" American accent since he's from the US. But he grew up in Australia and from listening to interviews, I think he's been losing the last trace of his American accent within the past year and gaining more of a British one. So he's absolutely faking this ridiculous whiny accent to fit the Canadian character he plays. Worst thing I've heard since my own vocals. :tickled: