Old school yet "original" Thrash?

This week I picked up Coven "Blessed Is The Black", this may be one for you to check out Fang. The production is thin (I think thry tried to jam too much music onto the vinyl... about 22 min per side) but the music is pretty thrashing!

Greeno said:
This week I picked up Coven "Blessed Is The Black", this may be one for you to check out Fang. The production is thin (I think thry tried to jam too much music onto the vinyl... about 22 min per side) but the music is pretty thrashing!

This is off the topic BUT Speaking of bands called Coven Has anybody else Heard of the Band Coven that was from the UK in the late '60s? Very Odd shit Lots of Satany Wierd shit ... its interesting just cause you dont hear alot of stuff from that Era that has the lyrical content of a Black/Thrash band

JonnyD said:
This is off the topic BUT Speaking of bands called Coven Has anybody else Heard of the Band Coven that was from the UK in the late '60s? Very Odd shit Lots of Satany Wierd shit ... its interesting just cause you dont hear alot of stuff from that Era that has the lyrical content of a Black/Thrash band

I haven't heard Coven, but in the late 60's , early 70's there were quit some "Satanic" bands, singing bout the devil and stuff....I am getting into that area stuff now and there is a lot to discover. Okay, it's not all the perfect recorded stuff we are used to now, but it wasn't only Zep, Purple and Sabbath at that time, there were lots of more hardrock bands at that time...

carnut said:
I haven't heard Coven, but in the late 60's , early 70's there were quit some "Satanic" bands, singing bout the devil and stuff....I am getting into that area stuff now and there is a lot to discover. Okay, it's not all the perfect recorded stuff we are used to now, but it wasn't only Zep, Purple and Sabbath at that time, there were lots of more hardrock bands at that time...

:) yep Absolutely Here is the albums title if you want to Hunt it down Coven-witchcraft-destroys minds & reaps souls -1969... its Interesting Kinda Like Evil Cream with a chick Singer :D if you have trouble finding it I could send it to ya one way or another

JonnyD said:
:) yep Absolutely Here is the albums title if you want to Hunt it down Coven-witchcraft-destroys minds & reaps souls -1969... its Interesting Kinda Like Evil Cream with a chick Singer :D if you have trouble finding it I could send it to ya one way or another
I'll see if I can find it, sounds cool anyway...Best "unknown" hardrock bands I could find upto now are Bodkin, Mountain and Irish Coffee, all from around 1970. Bands I think that are just as good as the big names from that time. Most of circa 1970 hardrock bands mostly produced 1 single or so, so they are hard to find. Like this I got about 10 early 70's hardrock bands from Belgium, so there must be lots of stuff around the world waiting to be discovered. Also , you need to be a little open minded musically wise. Lot of them are recorded and produced pretty bad, and ofcourse, it's not Heavy Metal, mostly symphonic-artrock- hardrock stuff...

JonnyD said:

I've never heard if this group so I did some searching around and found this review/history... This almost throws a little monkey wrench into the Black Sabbath myth!!

The debut LP from the group Coven is noteworthy for reasons more historical than musical. That is not to say it is a bad record; it is more of an interesting record that is unique and listenable. With an elaborate package released on Mercury in 1969, a good trivia question can be made of the fact that bassist Oz Osborne performs on this album, whose opening track is "Black Sabbath," while John "Ozzy" Osbourne of Black Sabbath was allegedly busy playing bass in Magic Lanterns, hitting the Top 30 in 1968 with "Shame, Shame" (Ozzy listed as Mike Osbourne with Magic Lanterns! ). That the group Black Sabbath formed in 1969 when this album was issued seems to indicate that Witchcraft Destroys Minds and Reaps Souls may have had more than a little influence on the more popular heavy metal band. Also notable is the fact that the majority of the songwriting on this disc is by guitarist Jim Donlinger, who a year later in 1970 would move on to drummer Michael Tegza's reincarnation of H.P. Lovecraft, known simply as Lovecraft on its Reprise recording. The lyrics are all included in a second gatefold, in script of course, while the first gatefold is a photo of a "black mass." Jinx Dawson's vocals are distinctive, and tunes like "White Witch of Rose Hall" and "Wicked Woman" are almost on target. The band was for real, eventually hitting the Top 30 around Halloween in 1971 with "One Tin Soldier (The Legend of Billy Jack)" from the movie Billy Jack. With the "evil" prayers during "Coven in Charing Cross," Coven get a bit heavy-handed; the group goes over the top trying to push the black magic stuff. "Pact With the Devil" is written "Pack With the Devil" on the label, and the 13-plus minute "Satanic Mass" is more of a curiosity piece than musical adventure; it's no "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida," and that's the flaw with this unique album. Had there been a song to hold onto or had "Satanic Mass" possessed the musical individuality of the Seeds' "Up in My Room," this disc would be more than just a novelty. "Choke, Thirst, Die," which ends side one, is actually one of the best performances on the record, though it also suffers from its excesses, with Jinx Dawson acting like a satanic Ruby Starr when she should have gone in the Wendy O. Williams direction. A decent enough attempt, but the group Black Sabbath emerged one year later doing it much, much better. Just compare the Oz Osborne/Coven opening track "Black Sabbath" to Ozzy Osbourne's song "Black Sabbath" by his group Black Sabbath to see the difference.

What do you guys think? It almost sounds like Sabbath "borrowed" some direction from this group.

JD- I need to hear this album!!!! Can you send me a copy?

carnut said:
I'll see if I can find it, sounds cool anyway...Best "unknown" hardrock bands I could find upto now are Bodkin, Mountain and Irish Coffee, all from around 1970. Bands I think that are just as good as the big names from that time. Most of circa 1970 hardrock bands mostly produced 1 single or so, so they are hard to find. Like this I got about 10 early 70's hardrock bands from Belgium, so there must be lots of stuff around the world waiting to be discovered. Also , you need to be a little open minded musically wise. Lot of them are recorded and produced pretty bad, and ofcourse, it's not Heavy Metal, mostly symphonic-artrock- hardrock stuff...
Another Good one is Savoy Brown! an Excellent Peice of British '70s Rock and Roll ....:) I try to keep as much of an open mind as possible ... which is part of the reason I am on a More Extreme Metal Kick I disregarded most of it as garbage untill I opened my ears to it and found out the true beauty in the uglyness .... hahahaha We are Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off the topic here hahahaha I'v also been on the fringes of a 70's hard rock kick ... I have Been Listening to the Scorpions Taken By Force and InTrance albums alot lately hahahaha So ya never know hahaha I think I'm lost whats this thread about again?:loco:

Greeno said:
I've never heard if this group so I did some searching around and found this review/history... This almost throws a little monkey wrench into the Black Sabbath myth!!

What do you guys think? It almost sounds like Sabbath "borrowed" some direction from this group.

JD- I need to hear this album!!!! Can you send me a copy?
I was thinkin that when I found it on Soulseek very Interesting stuff! .... Yep I can send you a copy bro! :D

JonnyD said:
I was thinkin that when I found it on Soulseek very Interesting stuff! .... Yep I can send you a copy bro! :D

Right on! Thanks dude! Let me know if you need my address.

Also let me know if I can send you anything... maybe some 70's stuff I've some across.

I'm checking Morbid Saint right now.... these guys kicked ass indeed! Now that's a thrash fest.
Sounds quite close to Dark Angel at times to me, as Sarge said.

How about Artillery "By Inheritance"? Spinning the vinyl right now and it's kicking by butt. The singer reminds me of some one else but I can't put my finger on who.... driving me nutz! Maybe he has a little Overkill in him... that may be it.

How about :

1. Hades

2. D.R.I. - Crossover, Four of a Kind, Thrash Zone etc.

3. Crumbsuckers - Life of Dreams, B.O.M.B. (Beast on My Back)

4. Toxic Shock

5. Gothic Slam

6. Ludichrist

7. ScatterBrain

8. Suicidal Tendencies

Unfaithfully Metalhead said:
I wouldn't call D.R.I thrash, they were by excellence (along with S.O.D.) the front-runners of hardcore. Suicidal Tendencies was a crossover, more thrash in the beginning, more funky after Rocky George left the band.

I'll throw some names in the arena: Death Row, Exhorder, Sacrifice, Protector, Savage Steel, STOS