Opeth fan demographics

17, started listening start of 2007
Agnostic, future law student and currently thoroughly pissed off at only being 17, the useless age.

20 years old, been a fan since BWP and I got all the others soon after. My family is Greek Orthodox but I don't believe in that anymore. I've taken an interest in learning about Germanic and Norse paganism lately.

lol, 100% atheist? i know there is no evidence for a god at all, but isnt it impractical to rule it out completely? how about 99.9% sure there is no god? we have only explored a tiny, tiny, tiny segment of the sprawling universe, why completely rule out the chance of a god, or higher being? just because the religions that exist today are bullshit doesnt mean there is no such thing as a good existing, its just highly unlikely. there may be a flying spaghetti monster or invisible pink uniform too, lots of stuff is possibly especially since the human race knows very little of the 'outside world'

like I said, I have many arguments and have thought this trough a lot, this is my well formed opinion. So yes, I'm 100% atheist ... if you want to discuss this, mail me. But starting any discussion with "lol" is not a good way to start on a basis of respect. Furthermore, apparently you base your thoughts about it on Dawkins his arguments, although I reach similar conclusions as him often, my arguments stem from different thinking paths and I disagree with several of his ways of putting things or reasonings.

edit: @Annihilat0r: thanks for that nice response so I could restrain the urge to respond to those kinds of reasoning ;)

I reckon I'm the resident old fogey, I'm 43, and I've been a metalhead since I first heard Scorpions-Blackout way back in '82 (the Scorps were GODS to me for about 15 years - saw them live 8 times :headbang:). I have been a die-hard Opethian since I first heard the opening guitar strains of Windowpane. I thought Damnation was the greatest album I had ever heard...until I heard Still Life.

I'm a corporate minion, and not very proud of it, but it pays the bills. I don't really talk about religion much, it causes too many problems in the world as it is.

This is a very cool thread, btw.

I'm a 30 years old farmacology student from Sweden.
I tend to think of atheism as a belief just like any other and therefor see no problem saying I'm 100% atheist, because it is what I believe in my heart. This does not mean I can't be wrong, though.

22 years old fan since 2002, Muslim.

100% convinced atheist with a lot of valid arguments to back it up
Unfortunately you do not have any valid argument at all. If you think otherwise you have either have not bumped into a clever believer or haven't studied religions enough from eligible sources, that's all. Because these "valid" arguments only work to stun your opponent temporarily in a debate...
Mark my words dude, no-one in this world can prove the existence of God or vice versa. Consider it real good and you will reach the conclusion that it is indeed a matter of FAITH.

29; software engineer in the 'sound reinforcement' industry; believer in Jesus Christ.

Mark my words dude, no-one in this world can prove the existence of God or vice versa. Consider it real good and you will reach the conclusion that it is indeed a matter of FAITH.

29, Greek Orthodox , but avoid church like the plague.
I don't like the business aspect of organized religions & the abuse of power that religious radicals demonstrate.
That being said, I hope a greater existence than this one awaits.
I'm part owner of a calibration service company. Married w/12 yr old daughter. Another one in the works !
Opeth fan since 1st hearing Deliverance. I've seen Opeth 11 times !!

16 year old atheist female, I think I'm the youngest here! I've been a fan since I was 13 in late 2004, before GR. It's coming up to my fourth year of being an Opeth fan.

16 year old atheist female, I think I'm the youngest here! I've been a fan since I was 13 in late 2004, before GR. It's coming up to my fourth year of being an Opeth fan.

There has to be some 12 year old lurking around these forums :p

as for me, 17 Male atheist..

been a fan since about GR, with Blackwater Park being the first album I heard.

22 years old fan since 2002, Muslim.

Unfortunately you do not have any valid argument at all. If you think otherwise you have either have not bumped into a clever believer or haven't studied religions enough from eligible sources, that's all. Because these "valid" arguments only work to stun your opponent temporarily in a debate...

My friend, I didn't say I can disprove the existence of God, for that is pointless and unnecessary. I have "bumped" into many "clever believers" and trust me, I have studied religions far more than is good for anyone, from all sorts of angles. I don't intend to "stun" anyone, otherwise I would have written a long statement here, but I don't consider it the place to do so.
Of course it is a matter of faith to you and anyone who believes, and I respect that as well ... but again, this doesn't really matter, as faith is part of the package which we call religion. My arguments (which are mostly for my own reasoning, not as some grand ideology to convince everyone, although that would be nice) deal with religion in its totality, its many differenct expressions throughout human history, and "faith" is a part of that, not something that is loose from it, so it can not be used to say that religion is beyond arguments ...

18, atheist male, fan since just before Ghost Reveries (although it took me a while to appreciate, didn't like growling back then, but Damnation converted me. I, like a lot of people probably, am a huge fan of Porcupine Tree and that's what got me into opeth) and I'm a future music student.