Opeth fan demographics

Well I'm an 18 years-old biology student, resident in Costa Rica (central america) and I believe in God, but I dont trust in churchs, Fan of opeth since blackwater park, because of my uncle who discovered them since Morningrise

43 years old
I have been into Metal since I first head Iron Maiden and Priest , rush, saxon and so on, way back in Junior High school

I am an evolved being who only deals with the source of light that comes out of all our hearts. No middleman required. Been an Opethian since the 1st time I heard the song Deliverence.

I am an evolved being who only deals with the source of light that comes out of all our hearts. No middleman required. Been an Opethian since the 1st time I heard the song Deliverence.

same here, deliverance blew me away or so to say!

48 years old

Just took my 23 year old daughter to see Opeth in Worcester, MA (her 4th time seeing them, my 8th time). I turned both my kids (son is 25) into mini-metalheads, although nothing even close to myself.

Oh yeah, deographically speaking, I'm agnostically jewish who married a protestant in a unitarian church 27 years ago.

@HemeHaci:

I agree, disproving the existence of something that cannot be proved to exist is impossible.

Modern science can't explain everything we face, but that's only a matter of time before the non explainable phenomena will be revealed.

But there is another way of looking at it: Science never "explains" things. With Newton's laws of motion (which are a special case of quantum mechanics applied to low velocities) we know that f = m * a (in low velocities) and therefore we can predict where a cannonball will land when we launch it. BUT, we don't know "why" f = m * a, or whatever quantum dynamics formula spawned it, is correct. If some "formula" underlies those, we won't know what underlies that formula... and so on.

So according to this way of looking at the problem, science can merely evaluate what has happened before and based on that, can predict what is going to happen. But at the very core of those, it can't explain "why" that has to happen.

But, this is only a way of looking at it and there are hundreds of other ways. I'm not defending anything, I am just trying to bring the matter down to the core; the faith.

It all comes down a matter of faith in whether you believe "we must have a purpose, all those can't be in vain" or "there is no scientific reason to believe".

You might think "Science can explain everything, so there is no need for a God." or "Science can't really 'explain' the core of things, because in the core of things there is God - Allah - Odin etc."

lol, 100% atheist? i know there is no evidence for a god at all, but isnt it impractical to rule it out completely? how about 99.9% sure there is no god? we have only explored a tiny, tiny, tiny segment of the sprawling universe, why completely rule out the chance of a god, or higher being? just because the religions that exist today are bullshit doesnt mean there is no such thing as a good existing, its just highly unlikely. there may be a flying spaghetti monster or invisible pink uniform too, lots of stuff is possibly especially since the human race knows very little of the 'outside world'

You are too an Atheist, you just don't know it.

I'm 32 and male.

22 years old fan since 2002, Muslim.

Unfortunately you do not have any valid argument at all. If you think otherwise you have either have not bumped into a clever believer or haven't studied religions enough from eligible sources, that's all. Because these "valid" arguments only work to stun your opponent temporarily in a debate...
Mark my words dude, no-one in this world can prove the existence of God or vice versa. Consider it real good and you will reach the conclusion that it is indeed a matter of FAITH.

Can you disprove the existence of pink unicorns?
If you can't then do you feel a need to believe they do exist?
The burden of proof lies with the person who says something exists.

@HemeHaci:

I agree, disproving the existence of something that cannot be proved to exist is impossible.

Modern science can't explain everything we face, but that's only a matter of time before the non explainable phenomena will be revealed.

But there is another way of looking at it: Science never "explains" things. With Newton's laws of motion (which are a special case of quantum mechanics applied to low velocities) we know that f = m * a (in low velocities) and therefore we can predict where a cannonball will land when we launch it. BUT, we don't know "why" f = m * a, or whatever quantum dynamics formula spawned it, is correct. If some "formula" underlies those, we won't know what underlies that formula... and so on.

So according to this way of looking at the problem, science can merely evaluate what has happened before and based on that, can predict what is going to happen. But at the very core of those, it can't explain "why" that has to happen.

But, this is only a way of looking at it and there are hundreds of other ways. I'm not defending anything, I am just trying to bring the matter down to the core; the faith.

It all comes down a matter of faith in whether you believe "we must have a purpose, all those can't be in vain" or "there is no scientific reason to believe".

You might think "Science can explain everything, so there is no need for a God." or "Science can't really 'explain' the core of things, because in the core of things there is God - Allah - Odin etc."

Of course science explains. It explains why the world looks the way it does.

No; Annihilat0r has it right. Science is nothing more than a model that attempts to describe HOW the universe works. It says nothing about WHY it works the way it does. We also know for a fact that our description of how the universe works is incomplete.

Not that I don't think it's possible, in theory, for science to ultimately provide the answer as to why e.g. the fundamental constants are the values they are. I don't believe in the "God of the gaps" nonsense; God wouldn't have been a very good engineer if the universe required His constant intervention to keep it from unraveling.

No; Annihilat0r has it right. Science is nothing more than a model that attempts to describe HOW the universe works. It says nothing about WHY it works the way it does. We also know for a fact that our description of how the universe works is incomplete.

Not that I don't think it's possible, in theory, for science to ultimately provide the answer as to why e.g. the fundamental constants are the values they are. I don't believe in the "God of the gaps" nonsense; God wouldn't have been a very good engineer if the universe required His constant intervention to keep it from unraveling.

Evolution through natural selection explains why things are the way they are by looking at what has been before. I agree with what you said though.

it's a bit of a false representation of what science is ... they are working on actually explaining more, but it is so vastly complex that it becomes impossible to explain it in understandable terms for most people.
well anyway, we are going into a discussion surpassing science, involving philosophy as well, which is very valid, but I kind a doubt most (if anyone) here have really read anything of importance in these matters anyway.

also, discussion about being atheist doesn't HAVE to be about science! i would barely touch on the subject if i would go into such debate. it is a kind of pointless discussion mostly with 2 deaf parties talking past eachother.

and it surprises me how many of you refer to Dawkins :p ... good to see he made some sort of impact after all. yet again, i value his intentions and his way of thinking, but that is NOT my way of thinking, so please PLEASE stop acting as if all atheists have the exact same arguments and way of thinking! ... everytime i mention i'm an atheist somebody starts with these puny comments as if they already know exactly what i think because they heard some scientist say things once! atheists are a vast and diverse group, we don't follow doctrines ... therefore we can tell many different stories leading to similar conclusions. This gives us actually an extra strenght against religions which do follow the same doctrines, although modern religious people often try to avoid it by giving it some personal twists (invalid as they may be often).