Opeth on Roadrunner?

RR is going to want a "single", that doesn't really fit in with the concept album that supposedly on the way, and whatever that is it will be a long song which will they'll want to chop up for a video.

I don't like it.

I'm not worried at all about what label Opeth signs to, as I don't think it will affect their music at all. I'm sure music videos and some more promoting may come along, but whatever..all I care about is good music.

When if I first read the news on Blabbermouth.net I was just like "::30 seconds of silence,:: noooooo noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

But you know? Blabbermouth.net has a history of false accusations and news so I'm not taking it too seriously yet, and even if it were true, they still haven't signed to the label yet so I suggest we all remain calm. Roadrunner always carries artists keeping the current trends alive...death metal and post thrash back in the late 80s and early 90s was the current big thing. Gorguts, Deicide, Pestilence, Obituary, Atrocity, Malevolent creation, Cynic, Disincarnate, Resurrection, Sepultura, Death, Suffocation, Immolation, Sadus etc...I don't think roadrunner would sign Opeth to their label without the band willing to compromise their sound for the current trend. If this next Opeth record is a very my arms your hearse/deliverance sounding record...I wouldn't doubt a couple tracks experimenting with metalcore breakdowns.

After all that though, the sources that told blabbermouth.net about this are probably full of shit, if not blabbermouth being completely full of shit. Don't believe it.

I say don't worry. Opeth won't let a label change their sound. They're too good for that. If they do change their sound it won't be bad. I mean listen to Orchid and Morningrise and then MAYH, those sound completely different. And MAYH sounds different from Still Life, BWP and Deliverance. And obviously Damnation sounds nothing like the others. But they're all amazing albums. Just saying that if Opeth change their sound, it'll still be good. Unless they start making 4 minute pop songs, which will never happen. And if they do sign to Roadrunner, who says it'll last? They've changed labels so many times in the past. This isn't something that will last forever, unless they're happy with it. But who knows. Let the album come out and then judge it.

Even if the album isn't changed by this, the touring most definitely will. That's very important to me.

I would have strongly preferred Relapse, which does a fantastic job of promoting their big bands (Nile, Mastodon, DEP, Neurosis.)

MasterOLightning said:
Even if the album isn't changed by this, the touring most definitely will. That's very important to me.

I would have strongly preferred Relapse, which does a fantastic job of promoting their big bands (Nile, Mastodon, DEP, Neurosis.)
I'm sure since Opeth are on a bigger label they'll get more touring oppurtunities.

YOU GUYS ARE SOOOOO LAME!

remember when i made this thread?? and now everyone is like.. omg good bands on road runner blah blah blah..

ahahah i hope that source on blabbermouth is nto me.

I wouldn't yet believe that text as blabbermouth is the first and only place where it is said. But it may be true, we'll see. And I don't think that it's end of the world if they do sign on RR. It won't change the sound.

rissy said:
I wouldn't yet believe that text as blabbermouth is the first and only place where it is said. But it may be true, we'll see. And I don't think that it's end of the world if they do sign on RR. It won't change the sound.

Road Runner runs Blabbermouth.. thats the funniest part about it.

I just realized that when I looked at the url of blabbermouth. :Smug:
But I'm not really worried about the label, I don't even really care which label they'll choose because I'm pretty sure that they'll make a wise decision.

They should have signed to relapse.I dont see this as a good thing at all.Roadrunner are a terrible label.

I truly am disappointed in Opeth.

Especially seems Mike has always said that being commercial isn't of any interest to the band.After finding this out, that seems very hard to belive.

Relapse would have been amazing.

And i hope he reads this thread to see how genuinely upset his core fanbase are about this decision.

threak said:
They should have signed to relapse.I dont see this as a good thing at all.Roadrunner are a terrible label.

I truly am disappointed in Opeth.

Especially seems Mike has always said that being commercial isn't of any interest to the band.After finding this out, that seems very hard to belive.

Relapse would have been amazing.

And i hope he reads this thread to see how genuinely upset his core fanbase are about this decision.
Opeth don't really fit on Relapse. I heard they were working with Century Media, that would've been alot better than Roadrunner. But oh well, I'll still love Opeth no matter what.

It's laughable at best to read all these posts that say that when a band signs to Roadrunner, they turn into to complete shit.

Name one great band that signed with Roadrunner, then all of sudden sucked.

Don't even try Cradle of Flith...

rissy said:
I don't really understand why people are concerned about Opeth being commercial or not.
Oh come on....if they get commercial all their hard earned \m/ tr00ness \m/ is lost, they automatically start to suck then regardless of whatever the album will sound like.