Opeth on Roadrunner?

R0l0 said:
Wow... just wow. I'm not gonna say anything until I hear the music, but I can't say I like the direction they're choosing by marketing themselves more to the whole American "headbanger's ball" scene.

opeth has always been something different, regardless of how they are marketed.

you fuckin people are so pety, Opeth does not decide your fuckin lives, jesus, god for bid they break up, half of you would need suicide watch, they're just a fuckin band, grow up and stop centering you life on what fuckin record label they choose or which direction they go. I fuckin hope they turn to nu metal that way still life and mayh will be that much better, man where the fuck is bob rock when you need him. hey shitheads, get some fuckin perspective in your lives.

Minion520 said:
you fuckin people are so pety, Opeth does not decide your fuckin lives, jesus, god for bid they break up, half of you would need suicide watch, they're just a fuckin band, grow up and stop centering you life on what fuckin record label they choose or which direction they go. I fuckin hope they turn to nu metal that way still life and mayh will be that much better, man where the fuck is bob rock when you need him. hey shitheads, get some fuckin perspective in your lives.
i think it's perfectly reasonable to have a discussion over a band we love's potential future label. i, for one, do not for one second question their musical integrity, and not everyone here is making wild accusations.

i resent, however, being called a shithead :err:

Minion520 said:
lolz some those opeth fans r gay bro. they fuckin lives b at stake cuz they band be bound to break up lol!! fuckin shitheads need to geta life just cuz the recard label and mayh still life HAHA
GGG!!G UNIT!

R0l0 said:
Bah, I'm amused at people who still think you need to have some level of above average intelligence to be an Opeth fan, and that the band isn't mainstream because the music is "too complex" for the average person. The band is much more accessible then most people here seem to think. Case in point- go read the guestbook on opeth.com, go browse some popular websites and look at the type of people who are into Opeth these days. These people aren't exactly the metal/prog/music nerds who like to frequent this board.

For example I found these in 5 mins, and I have yet to look upon the turd known as myspace.
http://meetme.hotornot.com/r/?emid=KMKMS8H
http://www.audioscrobbler.com/user/Kaistar/

I dont believe a lot of these people are true Opeth fans though... They might just listen to them / pretend to listen to them because they 'played download d00d, they must be cool' etc.

Being well known does this to do the nu metal kiddies - Opeth have had full page reviews in Kerrapp!, played major UK festivals that include all the nu metal bands as well, and the kiddies like it.

I cant really explain why that one guy on audioscrobbler has Opeth at the top though... an exception to the rule? But the girl is clearly a fuckwit.

ChrisEmerson said:
I dont believe a lot of these people are true Opeth fans though... They might just listen to them / pretend to listen to them because they 'played download d00d, they must be cool' etc..
I know what you mean, but these casual fans are probably fans enough to buy an album and attend shows, and thus make a large fraction of the current fanbase. Maybe I gave bad examples by showing some of the extremes, but many people have Opeth listed among things like Dimmu Borgir, Cradle, Slipknot, Atreyu, Otep, etc.

cthulufhtagn said:
^hahaha, the quote in your sig is priceless...is that real!?
hehe yeah. Afterwards people were like "uhh I don't think you've ever heard real black metal :erk:"

@Décadent: no idea what it is, but the new avatar looks cool.

I dont see why alot of people are getting wound up by people complaining about this decision.

Opeth have always been a band with high mystique around them, which is why alot of thier fanbase are easily attracted by them. Thier music is easily some of the most incredibly well written original music to have been released within the metal world. And the fans just dont want to see them lose thier integrity or a portion of thier core fanbase by making this decision. I think its perfectly understandable why we should be wound up.

Roadrunner really are a terrible label.Look at this list of bands and all of them have either released crap albums towards the end of thier contract with roadrunner,or have just been dropped/ignored completely.

Fear Factory
Machine Head
Sepultura
Brujeria
Deicide
Coal Chamber
Obituary
Gorguts
Death
Malevolent Creation
Carnivore
Pestilence
Earth Crisis
Biohazard
Jerry Cantrell

And loads more.

All we are trying to say is that RR is a label all about marketing.And i doubt we will be seeing opeth touring with bands like Slipknot anytime soon.But we will see a band who will keep on taking out underground metal bands on tour with them,only for RR to think that its not profitable for the label enough to keep on supporting and investing money in the band.

R0l0 said:
@Décadent: no idea what it is, but the new avatar looks cool.

Primordial - A Journey's End

Listen to it. Even Primordial's move to Metal Blade shadows in comparison to Opeth on Roadrunner. What the bloody fuck eh? What's the use of posting here if not to influence the opinion of Mike and crew?

Hmmm....have faith in Opeth I say...badns liek Nightwish are still a reason to beleive that labels dont destroy bands....i personally wouldnt mind opeth singign to anyone as long as they dont change thier musical direction.....!!!!........heck I woudlnt even mind a music video......ahahaha.........I WISH OPETH THE BEST.....Keep inspiring us guys.....!!!......PEAC EOUT

even if they do go with roadrunner do go with road runner, they have already made the album that is about to come out so it wont be poisioned by roadrunner just yet. the only way that roadrunner will fuck it up is if they rush them, like the tens of others of crap they pump out on that label. the worst thing that can happen is Opeth being rushed to make songs. Maybe Opeth could be the first good band on roadrunner.

Lee_B said:
Roadrunner have great marketing and distribution, which is all a band should really care about. The logo in the corner of the CD shouldn't matter to a genuine fan.

I'm also confident that RR won't interfere in any creative process. The band are several albums down the line now, and I'm sure they'll be thinking "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". Plus Mike's old and wise enough not to put up with any of that sort of crap, and it was no doubt very high on his list of contractual demands. If he could deal with MFN, then Roadrunner will be a piece of cake.

Possibly the most sensible post in this thread.

Also coming from someone that knows what the fuck he is talking about...

The reason that so many labels are trying to throw money at Mikael and the boys is they know that it is a formula that works. How can anyone tell them that they have made mistakes in the way that they have approached things so far? Why would anyone believe that they are in a better position to judge the future direction?

One other thing I cannot understand... what is the obsession with Relapse with so many of the US posters? Why would they be a good choice, I cannot see a reason why from my place here in the UK.

Lee B has definitely hit the nail on the head (for any n00bs who don't know: Lee_B is Lee Barrett, the guy who used to run Candlelight Records and the guy who signed Opeth in the first place). I'm going to take a pop at a few points in this thread that I feel the need to respond to :p

Having a band like Nickelback just brings in more money for the label to spend on other bands...it's a good thing.

Yup, I said the exact same thing about Music For Nations. If having Sugarcoma doing god-awful 'metal' versions of Britney Spears songs allowed Opeth to do Deliverance & Damnation at the same time, then bring it on.

even if the album isn't changed by this, the touring most definitely will. That's very important to me.

Incorrect. The label doesn't determine who with or where Opeth plays (that's the booking agents and promoters), and there's no rule that says you have to tour with people on the same label. Porcupine Tree anyone? They're signed to Lava/Atlantic, and Opeth weren't/aren't. Labels generally have fuck all to do with touring (besides the issue of financial tour support, but that only comes into play if a band is making a financial loss on tour).

Keep in mind now, Mike's got a baby daughter and a wife so it's not only about him anymore. The man's got to be a provider and think about the best choice for the family.

Word. Gotta keep little Melinda in nappies.

One thing that slightly amuses me is the general mindset that signing with Roadrunner would be some sort of major-label sell-out job. Uhh, Music For Nations was an imprint of BMG/Zomba, which, in terms of size and power, is probably the music industry equivalent of the fuckin' Death Star. Opeth signing with RR is, in comparative terms, like joining the Rebel Alliance or something (would that make Lee_B Obi-Wan Kenobi? I'm taking this Star Wars thing too far, aren't I?). :p

'Sides, Mike's said himself that he sucks at the whole 'industry' side of music. But he's not stupid enough to get smoke blown up his arse by any forked-tounged A&R asshats telling him 'We need a radio tune. We want to reach out to the teen demographic. Could you try rapping? Do you want a hit of this?'

Opeth did what Opeth wanted to do in terms of musical direction on MFN, and I'm sure the situation will be the same at whatever label they wind up on, Roadrunner or otherwise.